Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate window Blind

Robin Brooke

Robin Brooke

Extended sabaticaal pursuing a passion to climb
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and found a solution...

The built-in blind in the tailgate door window, which is a roller blind, that can be used for privacy so people can't see what is stored in the boot is stuck, fully extended and wont roll back in. In fact it seems to be slightly over extended so won't hang on the clips anymore (usually the tension from the blind trying to close itself holds it in place). So now we have a blind that won't stay in place, nor retract.

We're travelling long term, and currently not so easy to access VW.

Anyone had this before, found a neat solution to get the roller blind to retract itself, or has seen this with more generic roller blinds?

Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like the spring has detensioned. You’ll need to remove the lower trim panel and camping chair holder to investigate (which isn’t easy). There’s a few posts on here how to do it.

Sounds like the spring has detensioned. You’ll need to remove the lower trim panel and camping chair holder to investigate (which isn’t easy). There’s a few posts on here how to do it.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll do some searching on the forum and see if its something I feel comfortable attempting whilst on the road.

Just had the same problem - the rear blind has maybe over-extended and wont retract back. Has anyone else had similar problem and found a solution ? - I cant find info on removing the rear door kit to get to the roller ? thanks

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and found a solution...

The built-in blind in the tailgate door window, which is a roller blind, that can be used for privacy so people can't see what is stored in the boot is stuck, fully extended and wont roll back in. In fact it seems to be slightly over extended so won't hang on the clips anymore (usually the tension from the blind trying to close itself holds it in place). So now we have a blind that won't stay in place, nor retract.

We're travelling long term, and currently not so easy to access VW.

Anyone had this before, found a neat solution to get the roller blind to retract itself, or has seen this with more generic roller blinds?

Thanks in advance!!
Just had the same problem - the rear blind has maybe over-extended and wont retract back. Has anyone else had similar problem and found a solution ? - I cant find info on removing the rear door kit to get to the roller ? thanks

The lower plastic tailgate trim is quite unwieldly when the screws have been removed. Get an extra pair of hands when removing and reinstalling.

Also made more difficult because you need the tailgate opened to do these jobs.

I found it was easier to half the door partly open and use a bungee attached to tailgate and car body (i used my towbar), to hold the tailgate in position.

Back