Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front end setup

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So I’ve been studying the tech manual with regards to front end setup.

For reasons unknown I’m running an asymmetrical front end! Hardly ideal so it needs rectified ASAP.

Interestingly the 111kw (150hp) runs more negative camber (-1 deg 40”) than the lesser power models for a ride height of 257mm (measured at front damper bolt centres)

Has anyone had a full 4 wheel alignment done? It would be interesting to see what settings were used.

Can I ask what an asymmetrical front end is/means???

It means that the previous owner(s) at some point adjusted the camber with different values on each side!

I’ve always thought it never quite looked even but convinced myself there had been a non standard wing put on (the 150 has slightly wider arch lips I believe?). Perhaps an odd assumption on my part but I could hardly imagine the camber would be set oddly.

Anyway I’m going to correct it and go for 2 degrees of negative with a rear ARB.
I do prefer a front wheel drive vehicle to be a bit lift off oversteery.

It means that the previous owner(s) at some point adjusted the camber with different values on each side!

I’ve always thought it never quite looked even but convinced myself there had been a non standard wing put on (the 150 has slightly wider arch lips I believe?). Perhaps an odd assumption on my part but I could hardly imagine the camber would be set oddly.

Anyway I’m going to correct it and go for 2 degrees of negative with a rear ARB.
I do prefer a front wheel drive vehicle to be a bit lift off oversteery.
Okay I understand. The camber should be the same on either side, shouldn't it?
Is the camber adjusted by moving the oval slot that can be seen on top of the hub when the wheel is off?
If it is, I've noticed that one side of mine is set different than the other.

Indeed it is and yes it should be the same (unless you’re in an Indy car racing around an oval!!)

Castor is also adjustable via the eccentric lower arm pivot bolt.
Castor, among other things, is what causes your steering to self centre after you take a corner.

My gin is often asymmetrical after a night away :shocked

Well mr @sidepod can dance with all his toes but the moment that humour deserts this forum is the moment this forum dies.
Well mr @sidepod can dance with all his toes but the moment that humour deserts this forum is the moment this forum dies.
I was
oops, looks like you missed the hidden inuendo in my reply, I have been giggling all day at it.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on my 150dsg Ocean by my local dealer. Here is the data sheet
419e3dc36d6f5bf5537ab9903a184e57.jpeg

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on my 150dsg Ocean by my local dealer. Here is the data sheet
419e3dc36d6f5bf5537ab9903a184e57.jpeg

Wow! So it left the factory on the wee wee!!!
Almost a degree out left to right!

Interesting they used a target of just 45” of neg camber!

Unless I’m missing a measurement, they didn’t check the rake (inclination or slope from front to back? There is actually a VW special tool for checking this.

My post got censored!!!

Wow! So it left the factory on the wee wee!!!
Almost a degree out left to right!

Interesting they used a target of just 45” of neg camber!

Unless I’m missing a measurement, they didn’t check the rake (inclination or slope from front to back? There is actually a VW special tool for checking this.

Well, I don’t know much (anything) about wheel alignment. I took the van in because of a drowning noise, which turned out to be uneven tyre wear. I expressed surprise at having to buy new tyres after less than 20k miles and that when the dealer lowered the van at purchase, I did not get an alignment report, so how did I know it was done properly...
They did not argue and did this alignment check (as well as other things to keep me happy). They did say clipping the kerb could knock any wheel out of alignment at any time.
I have since learned from @vwguru’s posts that uneven rear tyre wear is common on the T6

These numbers on a high performance car would be terrible but amount to being a non issue for a van with the exception of the rear toe in which is right on the limit and infact just over.
However meeting a spec doesnt mean its good enough its only wriggle room to save having to build and set to accurate tolerances which cost money.
Reading the numbers its no surprise that the rear tyres will scrub from the outer edge inwards.

If its adjustable for rear toe then get that corrected and leave the rest. Keep in mind your current set up is very safe as the van will understeer and as you move towards straight ahead and then toe out it will transition towards neutral and then oversteer characteristics. I would suggest you want what VW target ie 15 minutes per side at the moment your double this.

How can you say it’s a non issue for a van? That’s a ridiculous statement.

Having everything pointing in the the right direction is optimising what you have.

As far as altering the characteristics of the vans handling away from “safe” is precisely what I’m after, a more pointy feel on turn in, not because I’m trying to turn it into a hot rod but simply because it’ll be a more enjoyable drive.

Look this isnt a response to you its for erbster who is trying to sort a tyre wear issue. Correct camber to be equal either side and I guarantee erbster will not notice. I have no idea from what authority on suspension set up you speak.

The settings have massive tolerances from VW for a reason and that is a van is far less sensitive than a lotus due to tyre wall heights and suspension kinematics.

I will leave Erbster to decide whom is the ridiculous one.

Back