Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Runner Slimline II

O

orbitelevendk

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hello! Has anyone looked at (or better yet used and can give review on) the Front Runner Slimline II roof rack system? I know the brand from overlanding, but I have some concern that the ~32.5kg installed weight eats too far into the 50kg stated max load weight from VW. Are there folks running this setup?

Also interested in this hopefully someone has used one.

Caution- controversial statement follows ;) the majority of Cali owners are softies and would not be into adventures that require such rigs.

I suspect you may get more responses on this if you post over on the t6forum. :thumb
I don’t know any so will take your wisdom there :thumb

Thanks will find that forum.

I have had my rack on for nearly 2 years, it's like a Meccano rack, you can add things to it like a thule roof box and ski rack. also good to mount boxes on to keep the inside clear of tools etc. Its is heavy so i am careful of how much i lowed it up. I have got the spare wheel carrier and the matrix side mounting kit ready for my next big tip. One thing though, i have had to replace the corners fixings as they are not of the quality of the rest of the rack.

Any pics? As I’m looking to get one on offer at the moment too
I have had my rack on for nearly 2 years, it's like a Meccano rack, you can add things to it like a thule roof box and ski rack. also good to mount boxes on to keep the inside clear of tools etc. Its is heavy so i am careful of how much i lowed it up. I have got the spare wheel carrier and the matrix side mounting kit ready for my next big tip. One thing though, i have had to replace the corners fixings as they are not of the quality of the rest of the rack.

I’m in discussions with vwt5-t6upgrades about putting this rack on my T6.1 Coast. On their advice I’ve ordered new struts from Hinscha, which vwT5 will fit at the end of this month, along with wheel arch extensions, and hopefully a new spare wheel carrier to take my 18” Wolfrace alloys with AT tyres. I’m not convinced yet on the Front Runner (FR) rack, mainly due to the weight, (+30kg) so might use my existing Thule wing bars and put their Trail M carrier (13kg) on instead. The other factor is I have a solar panel fitted and that will have to be relocated on the FR, which leads me more towards the Thule set-up.

Hi, we had a kit fitted to our Ocean along with rear ladder, sold the Ocean as moving up to crafter now so will be listing the rack and accessories shortly if you're interested. Looks fantastic on the van and gives some much needed additional space if you have little ones that need packing for!

Hi, we had a kit fitted to our Ocean along with rear ladder, sold the Ocean as moving up to crafter now so will be listing the rack and accessories shortly if you're interested. Looks fantastic on the van and gives some much needed additional space if you have little ones that need packing for!
Thanks for the offer, but any savings would likely be canceled out by the shipping to Denmark.

What was your final weight? How much could you actually place on the roof? Did the pop-up motor struggle?

Thanks for the offer, but any savings would likely be canceled out by the shipping to Denmark.

What was your final weight? How much could you actually place on the roof? Did the pop-up motor struggle?
The rack itself was c40kgs and roof down was no problem with everything loaded (2 boxes, large bag, gas canister etc) but we always took most of it off when we got to site to pop the roof as VW claim the struts can only cater for 50kg on the roof up.

Back