Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuse box under passenger seat

steviej

steviej

VIP Member
The fuse box diagram and chart in my Cali supplement are wrong. I have owned my 2010 Cali since August this year and would really like to understand which fuse does what. There are 10 fuses in my under-seat fuse box and 26 shown in my owners supplement. I have attached a sketch of my fuse box, which shows the rating pf each of the 10 fuses. I rang VW central customer service but they would not help and referred me to the VW Erwin site which I believe is a subscription service. can anyone help with this please.

fuse box 2010 cali003.jpg

I think Alex will be your man for this.

We have previously had a problem with the water pump for the tap not working, and its an orange 5 amp fuse under the seat that controls this - very simple replacement, all sorted easily. However when we checked the layout against another vehicle, it was different.

I can't find anywhere in the manual with a layout for it.

This type of attitude from VW reall p****s me off. Fuses are part of the safety system for the vehicle and if the safety documentation is incorrect they should correct it, not palm you off!
The fact they try and extract cash out of you to find it out is even worse !

I wonder what would happen if due to their approach somebody puts the wrong fuse in and there is a fire or critical system failure which causes an accident

Grrrr !!

After reading on this forum that you can get a print out of your fuse boxes from your dealer, I came away with a 30 page print out that leaves me none the wiser. Not the dealers fault but just poor information from VW.

Im sure all the fuses under the seat are for the camper side of things only

Thanks folks for all the info re the under seat fuse box. Yes this box protects all the camping type stuff. I've just noticed a mistake on page 11 of my VW Cali supplement - it shows the orange fuse rated at 40 amps and the beige fuse rated at 5 amps. I would hate to think what would happen to the wiring loom if a fault developed on the water pump which blew the 5 amp fuse and it was replaced with a 40 amp fuse!

Incidentally, VW Customer Service told me they would NOT provide fuse box info due to health and safety reasons and that unqualified people should not be replacing fuses. They must think that their customers are idiots. If it comes to it I guess I can work out what fuse does what be removing them one by one and trying to figure out what has stopped working. Would rather avoid this route.

Perhaps Alex can help me?

thought this might be of help PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR REFFERENCE ONLY PLEASE TAKE CARE WHEN CHANGING FUSES AS THIS MAY DIFFER FROM YOUR VAN For these who don't have the fuses layout for their T5. Normally located when you remove cover under the ash tray (placed at the back of the cover

1st raw Basic

1.(25A/30A) Heather A/C (some models)
2.(5A) Steering position sensor
3.(10A) Multifunction control module1
4.(10A) Headlamp adjustment
5.(15A) Headlamp
6.(15A) Headlamp
7.(15A) Multifunction control module1 (interior lamp)
8.(5A) Data link connector (DLC)
9.(15A) Brake pedal position
10.(10A) Windscreen wipers (rear)
11.(5A) Licence plate lamp
12.(15A) Cigarette lighter
13.(5A) SRS control module
14.(30A) Auxiliary heather, heather / A/C
15.(7.5A) Air conditioning
16.(5A) Multifunction control module 1
17.(5A) Rear fog lamps
18.(5A) Instrumentation control module
19.(5A) Audio unit, Instrumentation control module1, navigation system,
20.(5A) Side lamp left, LH Stop lamp, LH Tail lamp
21.(5A) Side lamp left, RH Stop lamp, RH Tail lamp
22.(10A) Airbag assembly deactivation warning lamp, (DLC), Instrumentation control module.
23. (25A, 40A) Starter motor (some models with M/T)
24. (5A) Steering position sensor
25. (5A) Air conditioning
26. (30) Headlamp switch
27.(15A) Headlamp Right
28.(15A) Headlamp high beam warning lamp, Headlight Right
29.(10A) Load area door signal relay
30.(10A) Heated windscreen washer jets, rear screen wiper motor
31.(30A) Multifunction control module 1 (Horn)
32.(25A) Multifunction control module 1 (windscreen wiper motor)
33.(15A) Audio unit, Navigation system, Traffic information control module
34.(25A) Automatic transmission, Fuse box/relay plate engine bay 1 (F3, F12, F14-F17, F19, F20, F24)
35.(5A) Instrument illumination
36.(25A) Multifunction control module1 (Indicators)

#12 (15A) fuse is Cigarette lighter fuse very often blown and asked for location - blue fuse, top raw, 3rd from the right.

Second raw Options

At the engine bay close to the battery - remove the battery cover.

Under the passenger seat
Fuse (Amps) Circuit
F1 (15A) Auxiliary power socket(s) (some models)
F2 (15A) Auxiliary power socket(s) (some models)
F3 (15A) Auxiliary power socket(s) (some models)
F4 (15A) Refrigerator box (camper van), special vehicle equipment
F5 (5A) Aerial module
F6 (25A) Auxiliary heater
F7 (30A) Heater/AC blower motor (ATC)
F8 -
F9 -
F10 -
F11 (40A) Door function control module, right rear (some models)
F12 (80A) Auxiliary battery (some models)
F12 (80A) Split charge relay (some models)
Location Component
1 -
2 Split charge relay (with auxiliary battery)
3 Special vehicle equipment
4 Special vehicle equipment
5 Special vehicle equipment

NOTE: Fuses F1-F7/F11/F12 - During assembly these fuses may be fitted in alternative positions, depending on
vehicle specification.

T5 Fuses Basic under ashtray.JPG T5 Fuses in the Engine bay.JPG T5 Fuses under the ash tray.JPG 2012-04-08 18.26.47 (1).png

If I were to give out technical information to someone (doesn't matter who) via telephone for example, and that person goes away and doesn't do it quite right or something happens then I would be held personally reliable for the consequences, not the company I work for or VW, but me.

This is why VW take a stance of not giving out the information and dealers do as well due to the potential consequences to us.

We do not have a page where we can print out a fuse location for vehicles as our system is slightly different whereby we look for a specific fuse and or wire and find out the location from there. There are also slight differences with model years etc...

Unfortunately in this case I am not going to be able to provide this information.

Thanks

Alex, my VW dealer typed in my vehicle details and gave me a full paper print out of all the fuse data for my Cali.

I was led to understand that there are slight changes from time to time, which is why the print out has to be vehicle specific......

smgcowfold said:
If I were to give out technical information to someone (doesn't matter who) via telephone for example, and that person goes away and doesn't do it quite right or something happens then I would be held personally reliable for the consequences, not the company I work for or VW, but me.

This is why VW take a stance of not giving out the information and dealers do as well due to the potential consequences to us.

We do not have a page where we can print out a fuse location for vehicles as our system is slightly different whereby we look for a specific fuse and or wire and find out the location from there. There are also slight differences with model years etc...

Unfortunately in this case I am not going to be able to provide this information.

Thanks

But the VW guides and supplements are full of the legalese associated with what happens if you misuse or dont think before using a vehicle (everything from not drinking brake fluid to putting your seat belt on). All that needs to happen is these warning need to be duplicated.

After all VW supplied customer bulb kits come with spare fuses, as well as the bulbs.

VW are happy to provide info on where to stick replacement bulbs but not fuses !

If VW and their dealers could keep records and manuals upto date (and add words from their lawyer) then there realy is no problem.

Next they wont be selling anything weighing 1Kg in case I drop it on my foot. Of course the dealer could fit it for you at £££+ per hour ....

Thanks (Kev) for the pictures and fuse info that you posted. Although the under seat fuse box looks very different from the one fitted in my van, the fuse schedule should give me some clues to which fuse does what. I noted that the fuse list does not include one that protects the water pump? I need to remove this fuse and open the sink tap to bleed water from the tap/pipework before we get our first hard frost.

The cali is the first VW that I have owned and I'm a little perplexed by the "official VW " line on providing the correct information for owners. :crazy

My owners manual tells me that the fuse box can change without notice but that the ORDER of the fuses will remain consistent so, you can work out which fuse is which by working from Fuse number 1...

Given that I can understand why VW would choose not to give specific diagrams. Its a sensible precaution with mass manufacture!

I recently purchased a 56 reg California and wanted to drain the water (it’s frosty) so read the instructions: Find fuse 16 under the driver’s seat and remove so water pump does not run when tap opened. Found the fuses under the passenger seat, but layout does not match the book: it looks like the fuse groups were installed in different locations, so I will try the 5 amp ones to see which disables the pump. It looks like it’s one of the most awkward ones to get at, right at the bottom. Is there a trick to getting at these fuses? I have a drawing (pdf) and will try attaching it (this is my first post)

Attachments

• camping fuses.pdf
    9.7 KB · Views: 699
Great post mark I find it easier if you rotate the seat and push it all the way back
If you look in the fuse box under ashtray there should be a handy tool for removing fuses

Just got of the phone to VW garage and was given the party line as described by Alex. I quote page 386 of the Owner's Manual: "..we are unable to provide an up-to-date overview ofthe fuses for electrical consumers. This is because the vehicle is under constant development, because fuses are assigned differently depending upon the vehicle equipment level and because several consumers may use a single fuse. You can get more information about the fuse layout from a Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle dealership." Nowhere in this statement does VW say that they cannot provde the information BECAUSE of litigation. If I refer you also to the California supplement page 41 regarding Draining the water system where the instruction is to remove the water pump fuse. These are owner's handbooks!
Come on VW, you can't have it both ways!

What a crock of sing. It has nothing to do with health and safety and everything to do with money. If you have the information have some balls and post it. What sheep some of you are.

Anyway, thanks for the info that has been posted but I don't have fuses under my seat, under my ash tray in the dash or anywhere apart from the 10 I found in the battery compartment. However id rather chop my arm off with a pen knife than pay VW for something they could and should make a user serviceable part. VW didn't tell me it was ok to drive my Cali off a cliff but I've managed to work that one out by myself.

just found this post as the front wash jets are not working.

it cant be fuse 30 as the heated windscreen and rear wipers are all ok

any ideas please?

thanks in advance

from your original post - 30.(10A) Heated windscreen washer jets, rear screen wiper motor