Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Garmin Sat Nav

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi I'm thinking of buying a Garmin Nuvi Cam LMT-D.... any comments / recommendations very welcome.

Thanks Paul

Hello Paul I hope I am not doing to be kicked off the forum for replying to you in this section of the forum !!!(although I think it has been moved into the right place now
for years I used and was a fan of Tom Toms but found they only lasted about lasting for 24 months before having a terminal failure. Our newest Sat Nav is a Garmin and I am very happy with how it functions. I like the idea of having a Dash Camera within the Sat Nav and would consider this combo when I next update.

Last edited:
Does anyone know on a Garmin how to just get to a town centre, my old Tom Tom has a button after you have typed in a destination e.g. Guildford but with the Garmin, I can't see an option and end up having to search for High Street.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I bought one a few weeks back because my car doesn't have sat nav. I already had a dash cam (Nextbase) but didn't want two devices cluttering up the windscreen so a sat nav with camera was ideal.

The unit works very well and the sat nav is more slick than the RNS510 fitted in the Cali. Voice control works well and the routing is good; sometimes it picks a better route than the RNS510 and sometimes it doesn't but overall it is very satisfactory.

Included is full European mapping with lifetime updates. Compared to just the cost of an update for the Volkswagen system the Nuvicam is a bargain.

The camera also has lane departure warning and collision detection, but I think these features need more development as they tend to go off for no reason. Garmin supply software to view the video taken and this shows all the usual information such as speed etc and also shows the location of the vehicle on a moving map. This can also be done on the unit itself.

The mounting uses a magnetic system making it easy to fit and remove. The supplied power cable is a bit hefty and it also incorporates an antenna for the traffic information; however, I've found that you can use and ordinary USB cable which is much neater; the unit still seems to receive traffic broadcasts. It can also be connected to your smartphone giving more versatility.

Route planning (in advance) is good on the unit itself; and the supplied Garmin software can also be used for this on a PC or Mac. I think being able to plan the route in advance is ideal for a recreational vehicle because you don't necessarily want to go via the quickest way; Garmin allows "route shaping" letting you drag the route near to where you want to pass through without including as a stop.

Since I bought it the price (at Halfords) has been reduced, but I already got 10% off with British Cycling so not too upset.

All in all I would highly recommend this product, it is a great piece of kit and next time I order a Cali I won't be specifying sat nav!

up dated below

Last edited:
Does anyone know on a Garmin how to just get to a town centre, my old Tom Tom has a button after you have typed in a destination e.g. Guildford but with the Garmin, I can't see an option and end up having to search for High Street.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Depends which Garmin you have, on mine you start typing the town name and it comes up with suggestions as you do this. You tap on the one you want and you can then with go straight to the town, or continue typing in further address details. Or, on mine, I can just speak to it and tell it :)

Any ideas?

Thanks
where to go(tap on) ........address..........spell town(say Guildford)........go........then comes up ? enter house number, ignore ---under this it says "Go to Guildford". tap on that and off you go

Thanks for your help and advice, appreciate the time take to reply on here..
cheers Paul

Paul @greenp - did you go for the Garmin Nuvi Cam in the end? just found this thread after a search as I am interested in getting one of these combined satnav/dashcam units for my Cali when it arrives. I notice though that a new version may soon be available (Garmin DriveAssist™ 50LMT-D) but that may just mean I can keep an eye out for sharper deals on the existing 6" Nuvi-cam! i'd be interested in your quick review if you have been using one for a while - combined with the useful comments above from Motorcyclist of course. thanks in advance...

Hi CoboCali Yes bought Garmin Nuvi Cam. Very pleased with it... guess I haven't used all the features of the dash cam. Sure the sat nav is easy to use and has taken me to every place I have asked it to. It has a lane change warning feature if you are drifting out of your lane, also gives very good warning of traffic safety camera locations. I can not give you a reason why I would not recommend this sat nav.... Happy Cali Vanning and might see you around cycling.... are you doing any Sportives ?

Hi CoboCali Yes bought Garmin Nuvi Cam. Very pleased with it... guess I haven't used all the features of the dash cam. Sure the sat nav is easy to use and has taken me to every place I have asked it to. It has a lane change warning feature if you are drifting out of your lane, also gives very good warning of traffic safety camera locations. I can not give you a reason why I would not recommend this sat nav.... Happy Cali Vanning and might see you around cycling.... are you doing any Sportives ?
Thanks @greenp i will search one if these devices out. Much appreciate the info. No sportives booked yet this year - just coming back from a stress fracture of the fibula (damn running injuries!). Looking forward to getting the summer bike out now... Great to see your pics with your bike and white Cali when you picked it up, looking forward to getting out there myself. Cheers!

I bought one a few weeks back because my car doesn't have sat nav. I already had a dash cam (Nextbase) but didn't want two devices cluttering up the windscreen so a sat nav with camera was ideal.

The unit works very well and the sat nav is more slick than the RNS510 fitted in the Cali. Voice control works well and the routing is good; sometimes it picks a better route than the RNS510 and sometimes it doesn't but overall it is very satisfactory.

Included is full European mapping with lifetime updates. Compared to just the cost of an update for the Volkswagen system the Nuvicam is a bargain.

The camera also has lane departure warning and collision detection, but I think these features need more development as they tend to go off for no reason. Garmin supply software to view the video taken and this shows all the usual information such as speed etc and also shows the location of the vehicle on a moving map. This can also be done on the unit itself.

The mounting uses a magnetic system making it easy to fit and remove. The supplied power cable is a bit hefty and it also incorporates an antenna for the traffic information; however, I've found that you can use and ordinary USB cable which is much neater; the unit still seems to receive traffic broadcasts. It can also be connected to your smartphone giving more versatility.

Route planning (in advance) is good on the unit itself; and the supplied Garmin software can also be used for this on a PC or Mac. I think being able to plan the route in advance is ideal for a recreational vehicle because you don't necessarily want to go via the quickest way; Garmin allows "route shaping" letting you drag the route near to where you want to pass through without including as a stop.

Since I bought it the price (at Halfords) has been reduced, but I already got 10% off with British Cycling so not too upset.

All in all I would highly recommend this product, it is a great piece of kit and next time I order a Cali I won't be specifying sat nav!
Cannot agree with your comments regarding the RNS510. Updated and properly setup it works very well. It has always got me to my destination and I've never been stuck in traffic jams as it has always re-routed in a timely fashion. Worked flawlessly both in the UK and Europe. I've used TomTom and Garmin and cannot be bothered with wires here and there, suction holders on the windscreen and the Garmin Express for updating the software is constantly being updated and downloading software and Map updates is so clunky it is unbelievable.
The Garmin Basecamp software is good though, especially it's integration with Google Earth. Useful for getting GPS co-ordinates for unusual places.