Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas cylinder for T 6

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Let’s hear how long yours lasts !
We’ve had our van just over 3 years now and still using our 1st gas cylinder.
I’ll admit we’re not the most adventurous chefs but we do pasta / soups / casseroles all only needing a heat and we use our Ridge Monkey a lot for croissants and ciabattas with all sorts of tasty fillings…. oh and lots n lots of kettle use for our coffees.
Should I think about getting it changed , we’re off again tomorrow for a few days… thankfully it’s ‘braw weather’ so lots of salads lol.

3 years is not really unusual for a cylinder to last. We have had 2 in 7 and a half years. We mainly use disposable cylinders and the cheap gas cookers when on site and electric kettle and toaster.Just use the gas inside when making a cuppa at the roadside.

3 years is not really unusual for a cylinder to last. We have had 2 in 7 and a half years. We mainly use disposable cylinders and the cheap gas cookers when on site and electric kettle and toaster.Just use the gas inside when making a cuppa at the roadside.
Good to know as I believe the only way to assess (approx) is to weigh the cylinder !

Let’s hear how long yours lasts !
We’ve had our van just over 3 years now and still using our 1st gas cylinder.
I’ll admit we’re not the most adventurous chefs but we do pasta / soups / casseroles all only needing a heat and we use our Ridge Monkey a lot for croissants and ciabattas with all sorts of tasty fillings…. oh and lots n lots of kettle use for our coffees.
Should I think about getting it changed , we’re off again tomorrow for a few days… thankfully it’s ‘braw weather’ so lots of salads lol.
My one lasts about 12 - 13 full days of camping if no hookup (used for tea, cooking and sometimes hot water for potable shower). When on hookup (so only used for cooking) i would estimate we could get about 50 full days of camping. I use around 2 - 3 bottles per year total.

Good to know as I believe the only way to assess (approx) is to weigh the cylinder !
Weighing it is the best way to find out, it's not approximate it is very accurate. you have to disconnect it and get it out. It has a tare weight stamped on it, if you weigh it then subtract the tare weight that will be the exact amount of gas left out of an original 2.75kg fill.

Weighing it is the best way to find out, it's not approximate it is very accurate. you have to disconnect it and get it out. It has a tare weight stamped on it, if you weigh it then subtract the tare weight that will be the exact amount of gas left out of an original 2.75kg fill.
I weighed mine and was surprised to find it was still over half full.
Someone put the weights on here a while ago with increments of 10%.

I can’t see the point in referencing how many years…. You might only go out for a week or you might only brew tea once in a blue moon.

Surely what really counts is how many days away and whether or not you actually cook using the gas.

I’m still on a mission to find an alternative to 907’s but in the mean time I extend the life of a bottle but using our trusty old Trangia where possible, esp for just boiling water.

Days or months away doesn’t really make any difference, We don’t like using the gas hob in the van because of the mess it makes. When on a site we set up our cookers in the annex which suits us fine. The California is hardly designed for cooking a 5 coarse meal. Pretty much like we don’t do the washing up in the California sink more than one cup and you are scuppered. Ok for brushing your teeth but that’s about it.

Days or months away doesn’t really make any difference, We don’t like using the gas hob in the van because of the mess it makes. When on a site we set up our cookers in the annex which suits us fine. The California is hardly designed for cooking a 5 coarse meal. Pretty much like we don’t do the washing up in the California sink more than one cup and you are scuppered. Ok for brushing your teeth but that’s about it.
I find it perfect for all of our cooking for 4 (accept when BBQing) and perfect for our washing up in the sink. I guess that's why our gas usage is much higher !

Evidently about 8 months - I've just changed the bottle I put in at the start of the year - it had about 5% left. I’ll finish that one off on the BBQ.

I use the cooker whenever I stay in the van - breakfast, dinner, kettle, washing up - whatever.

I rarely (if ever) use hook-up and prefer to travel light, so don’t have an awning or ancillary cooking equipment.

Each to their own. That’s why you don’t have to buy one in Black!!!!!

I can’t see the point in referencing how many years…. You might only go out for a week or you might only brew tea once in a blue moon.

Surely what really counts is how many days away and whether or not you actually cook using the gas.

I’m still on a mission to find an alternative to 907’s but in the mean time I extend the life of a bottle but using our trusty old Trangia where possible, esp for just boiling water.
We got round the problem of in-board gas bottles, 907 or whatever, by installing an underslung 12L LPG tank. Works very well for us.

We got round the problem of in-board gas bottles, 907 or whatever, by installing an underslung 12L LPG tank. Works very well for us.
That seems a great idea, but maybe a long time to break even?

Last edited:
We are on our 5th or 6th Gas bottle in 3 years. We used to use it for cooking and making drinks, but we’ve recently bought an electric kettle to use on hook up and that has dramatically cut down on gas usage. We do go away for about 5 days every month so the gas probably lasts 30 days+, probably more now we’ve got the kettle. We’ve bought a spare full bottle too so that we are never without one.

I camp a lot, average two nights a week but only get though 2 cylinders a year.
We cook simple meals (often too tired after activity , take hot water away in a flask which also allows harvesting of any free hot water available and use an electric kettle on hookup.

We’ll be doing the ‘ weigh in’ this morning, before we head off on our travels

5 course meals we leave to the restaurant chefs and only rare occasions as the ‘pop top’ weight limit is 150 kgs !

Just carry 1 x 907 and 1 x 904 cylinders as a spare. Use one to exhaustion , replace with spare. 904 has 50% capacity of a 907 so plenty of time to source a refill.
Local Calor Gas Centres supply refills but don't advertise the fact. Just call them before visiting.

Back