Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Hob Burner not staying on

kaf2546

kaf2546

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Currently doing winter tour and left hand gas burner not staying on when releasing the knob, thought was gas temperature affecting pressure but now in 12 degrees Croatia and still same, have used a lot so looks like thermocouple may be kaput. Might have to wait until I get home to replace but will try cleaning with emery cloth etc. Any other advice welcome for me and others.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Does sound like the thermocouple. I had a problem on my slidepod and cleaned the burner, checked the wire was properly in place and checked position of the thermocouple and it started working again and has been fine every since.

Thanks Matt, I'll try that first, doesn't seem common to have to replace them so soon ..

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Could it be the regulator on the gas bottle. They are known to fail

Forgot to update but got van serviced end of Feb at Camper centrum in Amersfoort. They did a great job all round and for 150 Euro fitted a smart new ignition switch (see pic) which is much quieter than the 'plunger' button. I thought they had also sorted burners as worked fine on the day. Later in week however they failed to stay on. After googling some more I sorted myself by spray silicone round the control knobs and pushing down rapidly a few times. This seemed to free the mechanical part of the thermocouples and let me slowly release the knobs to their up position and hey presto no issues.
077035b5a864ba30ab2c328b88fa9f69.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Forgot to update but got van serviced end of Feb at Camper centrum in Amersfoort. They did a great job all round and for 150 Euro fitted a smart new ignition switch (see pic) which is much quieter than the 'plunger' button. I thought they had also sorted burners as worked fine on the day. Later in week however they failed to stay on. After googling some more I sorted myself by spray silicone round the control knobs and pushing down rapidly a few times. This seemed to free the mechanical part of the thermocouples and let me slowly release the knobs to their up position and hey presto no issues.
077035b5a864ba30ab2c328b88fa9f69.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Hi. We’ve had problems with our right hand burner for a while now. It ignites but when you take your finger off the button, it goes out unless you keep the button depressed. We tend to eat a lot of salads, so it hasn’t been an issue.
We recently took the van into our local VW dealer to have some work done and asked them if they could repair the right hand burner. We then got a quote for 750 €, as they said that they’d have to replace the whole burner/sink unit!!! Our van is a 2007 VW California and we decided that we’d just live with one burner.
Anyway, I decided to search the forum today and discovered that quite a few people have had similar problems to us. We thought about replacing(if we could) the thermocouple or the regulator but then I came across your post. My husband couldn’t find his DW40 spray but he found some 3 in 1 oil. He did exactly as you described. He put some oil around the right hand burner button, depressed it several times and hey presto, the burner stays on! We put both rings on too, several times in fact.
Thanks very much for this cheap and easy way of solving our problem!

Removing the caps from te burners and cleaning every once in a while also solves a lot of issues!

Ridiculous to suggest to replace the whole unit when a bit of normal kitchen cleaning is all that is necessary...

Hi. We’ve had problems with our right hand burner for a while now. It ignites but when you take your finger off the button, it goes out unless you keep the button depressed. We tend to eat a lot of salads, so it hasn’t been an issue.
We recently took the van into our local VW dealer to have some work done and asked them if they could repair the right hand burner. We then got a quote for 750 €, as they said that they’d have to replace the whole burner/sink unit!!! Our van is a 2007 VW California and we decided that we’d just live with one burner.
Anyway, I decided to search the forum today and discovered that quite a few people have had similar problems to us. We thought about replacing(if we could) the thermocouple or the regulator but then I came across your post. My husband couldn’t find his DW40 spray but he found some 3 in 1 oil. He did exactly as you described. He put some oil around the right hand burner button, depressed it several times and hey presto, the burner stays on! We put both rings on too, several times in fact.
Thanks very much for this cheap and easy way of solving our problem!
Chuffed to be of help Scamp, still fine, occasionally have to repeat process but ours is used to max e.g. to make a coffee during my day job in the Highlands back of beyond :)

Back