Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC 680 Van cover for winter

NorfolkJohn01

NorfolkJohn01

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Planning ahead…does anyone have a recommendation for a complete van cover for the 680 for storage over winter? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning ahead…does anyone have a recommendation for a complete van cover for the 680 for storage over winter? Thanks

Hi we have a GC 600 and were thinking of getting a full cover(outside) for the winter as well, however after a lot of research and digging around we were convinced that they may actually cause more damage to the paint and bodywork than they saved with the rubbing in wind etc.Also possible damp issues.
Definitely not an expert but just another angle maybe
Graham

We use a cover on our 680 - I can't remember the make right now but there are lots available. Don't go cheap would be my advice and lash it down securely. We use 4x thick nylon webbing straps wrapped over the top of the van to secure it and we haven't had any issues with it flapping or it coming loose.
You'll get lots of opinions on here why not to use a cover but I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives I.e UV protection, no external green mould in winter and your van will stay clean for weeks on end

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

This is very helpful, thank you. Would you mind checking on the make of your cover. I can’t find anyone claiming to have one for a 680, thanks

Hi John - it's the Fiamma cover as below. I thought we'd bought the large one but looking at their specs the medium one should be almost perfect for a 680(ours is a 680 too).We bought ours a couple of years ago so they may have changed their sizing since then.

I would definitely not rely on just their straps - we bought some 2 inch nylon webbing and nylon buckles (from amazon or ebay) and l made up some straps which tie it down nice and securely.

We use 2m retractable sturdy tent poles (again from amazon) to 'lift' the cover on an off the van. It's a 2 person job but once you’ve done it a couple of times is relatively straightforward. Probably takes us about 10 minutes..

Don't try to put it on or take it off in high winds as the cover acts as a huge sail and you'll probably take off never be seen again
a9b9615807632694637ea4f0c52a07f2.jpg
340e09b946332bd72eb0b54b1f71efec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Really helpful, thank you

Back