Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC skylight recall - Dec 2019 to April 2021

I received the letter today of recall. Conducted the test as requested on the letter but didnt manage to open both front and back hatch. I have GC 600 my2020.

Anyone failed the test?

I received the letter today of recall. Conducted the test as requested on the letter but didnt manage to open both front and back hatch. I have GC 600 my2020.

Anyone failed the test?
Morning,

Sorry to put you to the trouble but for clarity please may tell us what the letter said regarding the test.

Thanks

Morning,

Sorry to put you to the trouble but for clarity please may tell us what the letter said regarding the test.

Thanks

Letter came from VW Finland titled "Recall campaing 75A2" so this is my free translation:

"During the test each four cornersof the hatch should be applied pressure upward trying to open/lift the hatch (even if its locked in place with the handle)."

Letter came from VW Finland titled "Recall campaing 75A2" so this is my free translation:

"During the test each four cornersof the hatch should be applied pressure upward trying to open/lift the hatch (even if its locked in place with the handle)."
Thanks for your transalation which I’m sure we all get the gist (understanding). Many thanks will try that tomorrow.

Will

I visited today on servicecenter. Apparently glueing should be replaced and service rep talked also about "invisible locking bolts" that will be added.

Letter arrived today from VW Commercial Vehicles Today

CEC8F79A-B8AE-42B6-94AF-0540F89B5067.jpeg

Just had my GC 600 in the VW Van Centre Lancashire for the recall, although I could not see any movement when I pushed the roof skylights, the Van centre have ordered parts for the recall, apparently they are a rivet type of fastener for the Perspex to bracket, needs to go back once parts arrive. I would suggest if you get a letter for the recall take it to your Van centre even if your skylights appear secure on the push test. Hope this is useful for everyone.

Just had my GC 600 in the VW Van Centre Lancashire for the recall, although I could not see any movement when I pushed the roof skylights, the Van centre have ordered parts for the recall, apparently they are a rivet type of fastener for the Perspex to bracket, needs to go back once parts arrive. I would suggest if you get a letter for the recall take it to your Van centre even if your skylights appear secure on the push test. Hope this is useful for everyone.
Same as you, guess what parts on back order.

Ok. I visited today on service center. Front roof skylight was fixed with rivets but they didnt have enough? of parts so car will spend few days more and was promised to be ready on three days. They will change the steps and leisurebattery simultaneously.

Interesting to see what kind of fixed were done to roof skylight and are those visible or not. But I had to say that VW service center is doing extra good job and taking customer`s failurereports seriously (=steps and leisurebattery).

Maybe there has been an accident with the loose skylight somewhere and thats why they are all being fixed?

Ok. I visited today on service center. Front roof skylight was fixed with rivets but they didnt have enough? of parts so car will spend few days more and was promised to be ready on three days. They will change the steps and leisurebattery simultaneously.

Interesting to see what kind of fixed were done to roof skylight and are those visible or not. But I had to say that VW service center is doing extra good job and taking customer`s failurereports seriously (=steps and leisurebattery).

Maybe there has been an accident with the loose skylight somewhere and thats why they are all being fixed?
Thanks for the update may you be able to post a photo of the fix on the skylight please.

Hi ! Received GC600 back from the service center on friday. Both skylights were fixed, additional glueing and extra rivets added which are not visible from the inside. I do not have ladder atm but will check the rooftop on next wash.

Had mine checked today. August 21 Cali 600, nothing wrong with the Sjylight, Phew.

New style tap on order, Navigation unit fixed today with a software update. Couldn’t login to Weconnect.
Hi can you tell me which dealer checked yours, as I am at a dealer at the moment and they tell me they have to take the whole skylight out ( take head lining down ) to check

Hi ! Received GC600 back from the service center on friday. Both skylights were fixed, additional glueing and extra rivets added which are not visible from the inside. I do not have ladder atm but will check the rooftop on next wash.
Hi
can you tell me which dealer did this please

Had mine checked today. August 21 Cali 600, nothing wrong with the Sjylight, Phew.

New style tap on order, Navigation unit fixed today with a software update. Couldn’t login to Weconnect.
Hi
can you tell me which dealer checked the skylights please

Hi All,

Just thought I’d add my experience with Lookers VW Van Centre Guildford on these issues:

When the skylight recall letter came I booked in my 600 and at the same time asked them to replace the tap as I’d experienced the water short-circuit issue. In order to prevent them from just investigating it and telling me they couldn’t find a fault I provided them with photos of the relevant posts from the thread that first introduced the German forums experiences and solution with the new Reich tap etc.

They did one of the skylights, ordered the second and told me they tested the tap and couldn’t find a fault! So I made sure I grabbed the technician that worked on the van as well as the service folks and went through the forum posts again and said I wasn’t accepting anything other than the replacement as it’s not fair when you pay all this money and it’s a clear warranty issue.

Hey presto… they did the other skylight and replaced the tap. So my advice is be persistent and use the posts on here plus the threat of shaming your dealer on here to get it done.

While I’m here, I’ll warn folk of my most recent experience which was a massive leak dripping onto the bed which I thought was as a result of the rear skylight being replaced… it wasn’t - it turned out to be a leak through the upper mounted rear brake light / reversing camera unit. The leak has wrecked the upper storage cabinets and my dealer has been awesome in identifying this (I hadn’t noticed yet) and ordering new cabinets (which are made to order).

So the van has been in and out of the dealer since late July and I’m u likely to be able to use it until beginning of December but… kudos to Lookers VW Van Centre Guildford for working through these issues as fast as they can.

Hope this helps and good luck to anyone yet to get them resolved!

Kr

Andy

Interesting...I would agree, persistence pays dividends. I have VW customer services phone numbers and email addresses in my directory!
Regarding the leak around the high level brake light...a German owner I was chatting with last month had the same problem. It turns out that he had come across a number of German owners with the same issue. So another QC issue to keep an eye on.

Hi if you don’t want the argument just take off the red and blue caps on the tap and pour water in.
We had the third brake light leak only noticed it because of a drip from the light under the side locker.

Hi,
Can You "Drivers on Arctic" , please, tell what VW service center You are using in Finland with good experience? I want to use that also, because I have only bad feelings from what I have used here. They are not able to anything, never even seen GC before. As told, the worst detail in GC is service from my experience.
BR Jouko

Hi,
Can You "Drivers on Arctic" , please, tell what VW service center You are using in Finland with good experience? I want to use that also, because I have only bad feelings from what I have used here. They are not able to anything, never even seen GC before. As told, the worst detail in GC is service from my experience.
BR Jouko

Hi ! Pörhö servicecenter @Oulu. Seems that they some already experience with Grand California.

Hi ! Pörhö servicecenter @Oulu. Seems that they some already experience with Grand California.
Thanks for information! That Pörhö is the place where we bought our GC 680 last Mars.
Unfortunately now living in South Finland and made service in Hämeenlinna, with very bad experience.
Most probably we need to travel to Oulu 600 km to get things working. Good to know,

BR Jouko

Thanks for information! That Pörhö is the place where we bought our GC 680 last Mars.
Unfortunately now living in South Finland and made service in Hämeenlinna, with very bad experience.
Most probably we need to travel to Oulu 600 km to get things working. Good to know,

BR Jouko

More information in finnish can be found on FB-group "Grand California Suomi" .

Thanks, sorry but not in FB.

BR Jouko

Back