Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC680 Tax Class

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi, I've picked up my new to me GC680, taxed it on the DVLA website at a cost of £325.
Looking at the new keeper slip it says Tax Class - Private/Light Goods (PLG)
Now I thought a GC680 is around 3.88 tonnes, which is over the defined 3.5 tonnes for PLG.
Two points -
1. Does that mean it could be driven by someone without a C1 licence? I know it's wrong, and 2 wrongs don't make a right!
2. I think the correct class should be PHGV, over 3.5 tonnes, which means the tax is actually reduced to £165!

Anyone else had this? The camper is still less than a year old and was registered new by Eurovans at Crawley who I think will have sold quite a few GC680's, so is it them who have got things wrong or has the DVLA based the weight of a standard Crafter van? When I check on the DVLA website it just says "Revenue Weight - Unavailable"

Anything to do with DVLA will no doubt be a long winded process so any advice will be appreciated before I make the first phone call!

I presume thare are no disadvantages in trying to get it moved to PHGV class? The main advantage is saving £160 in tax!
TIA
Don

What does your V5 say ?
What does the weight plate under the bonnet say?

If the plate & v5 say 3.5tnne you are 99% certain to be running overweight.
If the plates say 3.88tnne there's been a mix up at registration.

You should be at PHGV. 3.88tnnes & Im guessing not only should it be £160 less for next year but you should be due a refund for last year.

The only caveat is that it was possible to get an Irish spec 680GC registered at 3.5tnne the obvious give away is that they don't have rear seat belts & are registered as 2 seaters not 4.

What does your V5 say ?
What does the weight plate under the bonnet say?

If the plate & v5 say 3.5tnne you are 99% certain to be running overweight.
If the plates say 3.88tnne there's been a mix up at registration.

You should be at PHGV. 3.88tnnes & Im guessing not only should it be £160 less for next year but you should be due a refund for last year.

The only caveat is that it was possible to get an Irish spec 680GC registered at 3.5tnne the obvious give away is that they don't have rear seat belts & are registered as 2 seaters not 4.

Yeah, def a mix up. Weight plate 3880 Kg. V5 weight on website = unavailable. Haven't received new V5 yet.
Not sure who has caused the mix up though. Eurovan Crawley or DVLA. Spoken with Eurovan, they just said take it up with DVLA.

I think it depends on the year etc…..i have a new to me 19 plate GC680 and my tax is the eye watering £570 same as the cars over £40k bracket.
in regards to C1 etc. Bottom line is it’s plated at 3.8t so C1 is required on your licence, well that’s what I e always understood, having had +4t Motorhomes in the past.

1699378742324.png

I think it depends on the year etc…..i have a new to me 19 plate GC680 and my tax is the eye watering +£500 same as the cars over £40k bracket.
in regards to C1 etc. Bottom line is it’s plated at 3.8t so C1 is required on your licence, well that’s what I e always understood, having had +4t Motorhomes in the past.

That sounds correct for the tax regime that was in place at the time your van was registered - but should still be £165 + the over £40k addition.

DonGrahams van is being taxed as a PLG - under 3.5tnne + £365 & it should be PHG over 3.5tnne + £165 ( + the over £40k addition if registered before April 2020)

Yeah, def a mix up. Weight plate 3880 Kg. V5 weight on website = unavailable. Haven't received new V5 yet.
Not sure who has caused the mix up though. Eurovan Crawley or DVLA. Spoken with Eurovan, they just said take it up with DVLA.
If eurovan Crawley registered your van I would be asking them to sort out the mess.

If eurovan Crawley registered your van I would be asking them to sort out the mess.
I'll be ringing them again tomorrow. It was the salesman who originally sold the camper who told me to contact DVLC, but there must be admin people there who actually deal with the registration of vehicles

I'll be ringing them again tomorrow. It was the salesman who originally sold the camper who told me to contact DVLC, but there must be admin people there who actually deal with the registration of vehicles
Correct. Let the do the donkey work.

Quick update, I rang DVLA early this morning 0300 790 6802. Quite surprised that I managed to speak to a human relatively quickly. The process seems fairly straightforward, and by the sounds of it not uncommon. Fill in form V40, also fill in part of V5 change of tax class. She suggested a pic of the vehicle and it's weight plate, (drivers door piller). Send everything to DVLA, address on V40 form. Refund will be by cheque within 4 weeks.
V5 hasn't arrived yet, she said it was posted yesterday, so with luck will arrive tomorrow. Then I'll send off and wait and see!

Back