German speeding fine

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have just received a speeding fine of 30 Euros for driving at 80 kph on a 60 kph autobahn ramp (A38 x A7).

They accept bank transfers but not credit/debit cards. What is the best way to pay minimising bank fees?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

if they don't take cards or you can,t pay with cash at a police station, then it only leaves bank transfer. F

I'd suggest phoning your bank and asking for the foreign payments department. Mine has been pretty good in the past at advising on the cheapest ways to transfer money overseas.

I'd suggest phoning your bank and asking for the foreign payments department. Mine has been pretty good in the past at advising on the cheapest ways to transfer money overseas.

They charge a small fortune - plus the receiving bank's charges. I was badly stung when I bought our VanEssa window bags.

I wonder what would happen if we just sent the cash recorded mail...

Probably PayPal is your best option. If you have a Revolut card, use that for you currency conversion then pay that into PayPal. I think that should work and minimise any fees.

I've asked a German friend to pay the fine and will send the cash.

My bank wanted £36.91 for transferring €30 and I couldn't work out how to do it with PayPal.

There was some urgency as the letter was dated 22 June and I had 14 days to pay.

I have to say, €30 Euros and nil points for exceeding the limit by 33% seems particularly good value, but 60 kph (37 mph) on a motorway to motorway slip road is a low speed limit.

https://goo.gl/maps/pZXqZz3L85u

Agree with TransferWise. Use it regularly without any problems. The rates are far better than banks.

I had one of these and called the number on the paperwork I received. The guy said send cash, so I did. Mine was only 10 euros though. Not heard anything since and it was 6 months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Naughty Naughty, 40 kmh over the limit is a month ban.
Unrestricted autobahn drive as fast as you can.
Rules is rules, innit.

Clearly my next question is not condoning such a terrible idea......but.....why did you feel compelled to pay?

Would they have pursued you?

Obviously I’m asking for a friend.......

Clearly my next question is not condoning such a terrible idea......but.....why did you feel compelled to pay?

1. The fine does not appear to have been unreasonably imposed.
2. The fine was exceptionally good value for money for exceeding the speed limit by 33%.
3. I may well want to drive again in Germany in the same vehicle.
4. To prevent the risk of having to pay the costs of a debt collection agency.

Yes. Next step would be an authorised Debt Collecting Agency.

Yes. Next step would be an authorised Debt Collecting Agency.

This won’t happen.
Stick the fine in the bin and forget about it

This won’t happen.

Leaving aside the moral question of whether to accept the rule of law when a visitor to someone else's country, I believe this is legally accurate. Under the recent EU regulations debt collection agencies can, AFAIK, only be used to pursue a civil offence (eg a parking infringement), not a criminal offence such as speeding.

This won’t happen.
https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/german-driving-laws/
https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad
https://motoroffence.co.uk/travelling-abroad-beware-of-new-enforceable-motoring-fines/

Your choice - but if you wish to travel to EU countries be prepared. Besides Passport Checks they also use ANPR cameras at Ports etc: you could be lucky but you might not be.

Looks like you got off lightly

I've just had to pay VW Financial Services nearly £300 because I got flashed in Italy in May 2017(!!!!). The Italians sent the fines to the leasing company (after 360 days) who paid them instantly and then sent the charges on to me.

Fine 1 - 100kph in a 90kph zone
Fine 2 - 106kph in a 90kph zone

Whoops

And avoid Germany so long as you are the registered keeper of the vehicle!? For the sake of ~25 GBP!?

Lmao

The fine isn't worth the time and so difficult to recoup its a complete waste of time.
Could you ever imagine a German paying a UK fine. Didn't think so...
Its another exercise in EU box ticking.

Honestly, your just not that important enough to chase.

Lmao

The fine isn't worth the time and so difficult to recoup its a complete waste of time.
Could you ever imagine a German paying a UK fine. Didn't think so...
Its another exercise in EU box ticking.

Honestly, your just not that important enough to chase.
I agree, they won't chase you for 30€.
After adding on a late payment fine, Admin Costs and Agency collection fees probably more like 300€, and possibly a mark against your Credit Rating.

I agree, they won't chase you for 30€.
After adding on a late payment fine, Admin Costs and Agency collection fees probably more like 300€, and possibly a mark against your Credit Rating.

No, an unpaid fine for speeding in Germany could not affect your UK credit rating.

For a criminal offence, such as speeding, your credit record is not annotated by credit agencies. You can commit murder for all they care, as long as you're a good payer :Grin. The credit rating could be affected if you failed to pay a fine imposed by a criminal court for that offence. In this case that would have to be a UK court, but the whole thing is not going to happen because the CPS does not bring actions in the UK courts for minor offences committed overseas. Magistrates courts here are far too busy with British matters.

For a civil matter such as a parking ticket or unpaid road toll, if the foreign authority passed the 'fine' (actually a charge) on to a UK collection agency - I believe Euro Parking is the one they tend to use - the collection agency would have to bring a successful action against you in a UK civil court in order to recover the money they say you owe, and only then could they affect on your credit rating. Extremely unlikely, I would say.

Your credit rating is country-specific and does not follow you around the world.

1. The fine does not appear to have been unreasonably imposed.
2. The fine was exceptionally good value for money for exceeding the speed limit by 33%.
3. I may well want to drive again in Germany in the same vehicle.
4. To prevent the risk of having to pay the costs of a debt collection agency.

I get why you paid such a small amount, I just wonder if they make it small to encourage payment

Clearly a larger amount would be ignored by most, reverse psychology?

I do however question if they would pursue you or indeed remember you if you returned. ANPR is all well and good but the resources to pursue would surely not be deployed

That said I am not questioning your judgement and often feel its better to pay and remove any risk......

Back