Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting a new wing mirror fitted in Cornwall (Par / St Austell)

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So after a coming together with a truck going rather fast the other way, I need a new offside wing mirror for the T6. Currently at Carlyon Bay, and have had a quick ring around a couple before they shut, but only one that offered any hope was Burninghams Garage in Par, other didn't answer at 6pm or were too busy.

Really hoping for a miracle and to get it fixed before driving back to Yorkshire, but that would mean getting it done Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Anyone got any tips?

Try Kernow campers, (face book).

edit: also Chilli jam vans

good luck

Last edited:
Hi Dripster, Here’s some more,
slightly closer.

photo showing some possibilities en route home

I hope that helps, let us know how you get on.

80DCF700-8816-4E03-839A-DE54B23E2C68.png

If still no joy, maybe try these people?

60CC7E88-0969-41AE-BB8D-7EFCE108D8F2.png

So after a coming together with a truck going rather fast the other way, I need a new offside wing mirror for the T6. Currently at Carlyon Bay, and have had a quick ring around a couple before they shut, but only one that offered any hope was Burninghams Garage in Par, other didn't answer at 6pm or were too busy.

Really hoping for a miracle and to get it fixed before driving back to Yorkshire, but that would mean getting it done Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Anyone got any tips?
Was the whole unit totalled (hanging off) or can you put it back in place?..If so you could do a temp fix with the self adhesive glass that they sell in Halfords.

or try a local garage:

Yes, what's broken? Is it just the mirror or is it the whole thing housing and all? The trouble is, depending on the vehicles spec, mirrors can also contain all sorts of techy gubbins related to other vehicle functions. So there may no longer be such a thing as a generic mirror unit.

Why not try VW Assist. This must be a common enough thing to happen. They may either carry a spare mirror lense or be able to source the necessary parts prior to attending your call out. It's worth a try. It's certainly a safety related issue. Whether VW dealerships carry these commonly needed parts in stock is another matter.

Of course it wouldn't be colour co-ordinated but painting can occur later.

Good luck.

Four Turnings Garage in Fowey used to be very good at helping me out at short notice but I think there has been a change in personnel recently. Might be worth a call if you haven't already. As other people have said, depends on what is broken. I had a similar incident in my Golf last year and the wing mirror was completely hanging but I was able to cobble together a rapair that worked for the journey home. Good luck.

Anyone got any tips?
I knocked mine off abroad and just brought any plastic mirror somebody local car place had in stock and gaffer taped it on. Got it replaced when properly when I got home £500 it cost by the way.

Eurocar parts sell fully motorised complete t6 mirrors with antenna for about £160. It is not very difficult to DIY.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. No joy with a replacement, a couple of garages offered to lash something together but I thought I could do as good a job. So got a T5 stick-on replacement glass from Halfords and gaffa taped it all together. Hopefully will get me home.

The main frame is still intact, motors still working, as is the DAB (been told the aerial is in there?), but top and bottom covers and glass all gone. Will see if I can DIY it when I get home as I imagine even though it looks salvageable VW will probably just want to replace the whole thing.

So thanks again everyone.

A local body shop will be able to supply original VW upper and lower shell , paint the upper to match the vehicle and fit them.

I trashed my driver side mirror yesterday. Quote from VW dealer £558 - gulp. Looked at wingmirrorman.co.uk, there is choice. I can't work out which one I need. So on my 2017 T6 Ocean what is in the driver side mirror. I know it is electric and heated. Which aerial would be in there? FM2 and DAB? Looking to DIY this. Taking door card off then three bolts for the mirror. Doesn't look too difficult. Is the mirror he same as any Transporter of a same age?

I did the same s year ago to my t6 conversion. Purchased a new complete motorised mirror assemble inc aerial (I think right is driver's side) from EuroCar Parts about £160. Fitting was a bit of a fiddle. Then need to get top part of the over painted or can buy pre painted from eBay.

Thanks Wildcamper. The top part is salvageable so I hope to buy a plain black one and swap it over.

New top and bottom covers, new connectors soldered on, had to force the crossbar of the adjuster back into the ring as it was broken but hopefully it will hold for a while.

All back together, heater works, adjustment works (albeit not as smoothly) and mirror folds.

Probably only postponed the expensive trip to VW, but off camping again next weekend so hopefully will at least last for that trip!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

IMG_20210807_145536.jpgIMG_20210807_145540.jpgIMG_20210807_103531.jpgIMG_20210807_150712.jpg