Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting away from it all.....

S

SiMain

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Wondered if anyone was planning to head off for a winter in the south (Portugal/Spain or even Morocco) and whether they had worked out the current restrictions of COVID - 19. I realise none of us know the future but just wondered how easy it was to travel and keep moving if necessary. Or is it better to stay home and wait for Spring? Thanks

Went to France recently, now on 14 day quarantine.

Did a quick 5 day trip as I found that my existing Travel Insurance wouldn't give any medical cover whatsoever. Found one that gave full medical cover but excluded any Covid-19 cover. Also have now an issue (insurance) with my Wife having had a Bone Cancer operation.
Figured that Covid-19 wouldn't kick in during that short a trip if caught.

Prospect of possible Covid Hospitalisation and associated bills needs careful consideration as no financial help from any source other than your own pocket. Not even Ehic if against FO advice it seems. Might be gone December 31st anyhow.

Wondered if anyone was planning to head off for a winter in the south (Portugal/Spain or even Morocco) and whether they had worked out the current restrictions of COVID - 19. I realise none of us know the future but just wondered how easy it was to travel and keep moving if necessary. Or is it better to stay home and wait for Spring? Thanks
My advice - travel.

Read a report on a Portugal trip here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/portugal-2020.37198/. This was the first week of September. My Quarantine ends this Friday.

People are great. Respectful. Be sensible and avoid crowded places and you will be fine.

On insurance, at an additional cost of £5, staysure will cover you and you will have a valid insurance, even if gov advises against travel.

Go there and enjoy!

Last edited:
My advice - travel.

Read a report on a Portugal trip here - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/portugal-2020.37198/. This was the first week of September. My Quarantine ends this Friday.

People are great. Respectful. Be sensible and avoid crowded places and you will be fine.

On insurance, at an additional cost of £5, staysure will cover you and you will have a valid insurance, even if gov advises against travel.

Go there and enjoy!
Staysure don't cover Covid if Gov advise Country as an essential travel only one. However if there when the Country is put on the list you are covered.

Need to add extra European package to get the cover. £10.09 earlier this month.

Last edited:
Have just returned from an excellent trip to Abruzzo in Italy, facilitated by non stop transit through quarantine areas ( France/ Belgium, Austria) and, of course, Eurotunnel . The rules allow for this and it was really great to get away and put the van to good use.

Feel really chuffed to have achieved without difficulty and only disappointment is that we were not able to stay longer since Italian situation much better than ours now. Stopping off in Germany en route also fine as a safe staging post .

Have just returned from an excellent trip to Abruzzo in Italy, facilitated by non stop transit through quarantine areas ( France/ Belgium, Austria) and, of course, Eurotunnel . The rules allow for this and it was really great to get away and put the van to good use.

Feel really chuffed to have achieved without difficulty and only disappointment is that we were not able to stay longer since Italian situation much better than ours now. Stopping off in Germany en route also fine as a safe staging post .

Awesome. :thumb Good to hear. So when do we get to see some pics and a travel report?:)

View attachment 67415View attachment 67406View attachment 67406View attachment 67414
Awesome. :thumb Good to hear. So when do we get to see some pics and a travel report?:)
Overview is 3025 miles round trip . Stop offs outbound and inbound: camping Amuhle near Bingen in Rhine Valley and Camping Steiner near Bolzano in Italy after/ before crossing Brenner Pass . First destination, friends ‘ lovely old farmhouse near Pescara ; second Kokopelli camping on edge of Majella National Park ( see Secret Little Campsites thread ) .

Abruzzo is great: Both mountains and sea in easy reach. We plan to return !

To cap it all we ended up directly behind another Cali Beach on the shuttle . One of the Grape Yellow variety : anyone on here?

Thanks for everyone's trip info - certainly sounds like it is doable - very tempted!

Spring was no problem with coronavirus in Poland, now that's a problem every day 7000-8000 COVID-19 cases. Lockdown was in spring but actually it would be needed for 3 weeks I thing. My sister has corona, she is at home, she is managing somehow, but my father is already in hospital, he is at high risk, he has comorbidities. There is also a lack of a drug in hospitals that supposedly helps like remdesivir.

Spring was no problem with coronavirus in Poland, now that's a problem every day 7000-8000 COVID-19 cases. Lockdown was in spring but actually it would be needed for 3 weeks I thing. My sister has corona, she is at home, she is managing somehow, but my father is already in hospital, he is at high risk, he has comorbidities. There is also a lack of a drug in hospitals that supposedly helps like remdesivir.
Wishing your sister and father a full and speedy recovery Adno.