Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting the hang of year round camping

Beanie

Beanie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have recently bought our first camper van - a T6 Ocean - and we are very pleased with it as it exceeds our expectations both as a vehicle and as a second 'home'.
Cycling is our passion in summer, and we had a wonderful three weeks in France (Rhone and Alps) cycling on most days.
Now that the weather is cold and wet, the bikes are left at home and we have spent several weekends in N Yorks and the Lake District adapting our camping skills to the conditions. First additional purchase was an external windscreen cover to reduce heat loss and condensation. After a bit of research we have just purchased a Topper to go over the pop up roof to give a bit more insulation and to protect the roof mechanism. Our ultimate aim is to go skiing in the campervan, by driving to the French Alps and finding a winter camp site near a ski lift.
Has anyone any tips to make life as comfortable as possible both in the cold wet of northern England, and also in the anticipated snow / frost conditions of the Alps? Any help would be much appreciated

Watching this one, we have always camped in the summer months, last year Easter in Woolacombe bay was our earliest of the year under a Cali roof.

5th feb we are meeting a lot of friends and staying at Whitemead Forest Park,
for 2/3 nights.

We have the topper/external windscreen cover/ winter kit for the awning.

Luckily we have a heater, which Im sure my wife will turn off !

Any tips ?

Heat ...... If you have hook-up then a small heater glowing in the background otherwise use the furnace the handbook calls an auxiliary heater, or use both. I go warmer rather than colder, If I can just wear a tee shirt and leave the fleece draped over a seat back then lovely.

It can be a draughty place but I don't mind that for the next thing is ventilation. Snug is one thing, airless and warm means lassitude and headache.

Snug? I have a nice fleecy shrug that drapes over the drivers seat when swivelled and one for the back seat. Makes life very cosy.Cheap as chips, £12 from Amazon. Equally my feet: shoes off on a sheepskin rug. One that can be rolled up and slotted in the footwell of one of the swivelled seats.

Packable coats, something to just throw on to run to the loo or pop out to the back to get something out of the boot, as opposed to struggling into heavy coats and duvet's. Can be stuffed anywhere, mine normally is stuffed between bench seat and the side panel by the door. Easy to grab and throw on. Boots normally on the side door step, if muddy and dirty in a bag.

Music, essential. Nothing better than being snug and warm with soft music, a glass of wine and low lights, I turn that searchlight over the cooker off when not needed. I play through a Bose mini sound link plugged into the otherwise, for me, useless inverter plug. Soft music just loud enough to drown out the noise of wind and rain.

Things to do when it's lashing down. I'm a writer so I write, but lots of jobs done at home I leave for when I'm away and nowt to do. A pack of cards is always in the van,

If I look at my past camping diaries, I have spent more days camping in November and February than July and August when I normally stay at home. My most popular months are May and October. So far this year 12 days into January and I have been camping for three and away for another five days next Thursday. A lot of disadvantages, long dark nights, short cold days, wind, rain and snow, but also lots of advantages in that in many places you can have the place, and often the roads, to yourself and there is something almost magical being curled up snug and warm in a tiny mobile palace that holds everything you need to survive in whatever the weather cares to throw at you.

Last edited:
We have recently bought our first camper van - a T6 Ocean - and we are very pleased with it as it exceeds our expectations both as a vehicle and as a second 'home'.
Cycling is our passion in summer, and we had a wonderful three weeks in France (Rhone and Alps) cycling on most days.
Now that the weather is cold and wet, the bikes are left at home and we have spent several weekends in N Yorks and the Lake District adapting our camping skills to the conditions. First additional purchase was an external windscreen cover to reduce heat loss and condensation. After a bit of research we have just purchased a Topper to go over the pop up roof to give a bit more insulation and to protect the roof mechanism. Our ultimate aim is to go skiing in the campervan, by driving to the French Alps and finding a winter camp site near a ski lift.
Has anyone any tips to make life as comfortable as possible both in the cold wet of northern England, and also in the anticipated snow / frost conditions of the Alps? Any help would be much appreciated
Watching this one, we have always camped in the summer months, last year Easter in Woolacombe bay was our earliest of the year under a Cali roof.

5th feb we are meeting a lot of friends and staying at Whitemead Forest Park,
for 2/3 nights.

We have the topper/external windscreen cover/ winter kit for the awning.

Luckily we have a heater, which Im sure my wife will turn off !

Any tips ?
This is what WE do.
Awning out and pegged, about 3’ to provide a porch. Wet coats can be hung up there and boots etc: left outside.
Heater on 1 24/7 unless very mild.
Ventilation, very important. We have the Brandrup front window vents. Allows ventilation with no rain ingress. Failing that, and if you have front window wind Deflectors then open each window about 1.5cm.
Beauty of the Brandrup vents vehicle remains secure when locked.

Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation no matter what the weather and use the Parking Heater.

I would agree with @WelshGas, having a 3' porch is really useful. It stops rain coming directly into the Cali and gives you a bit of protection whilst you put on coats, boots, etc. Make sure it is well pegged out in case of windy gusts whilst you are away. I would add an Aldi boot mat which is made in rubber and rolls back into a small tube, cost about £5. It is about 4' x 2½' and just stops muddy puddles developing right by the door. Ventilation also is essential as WG says.

We have just returned from six days walking in the Lake District and I was surprised at how comfortable we were in the van even though it was well into minus temperatures outside.

As already mentioned the auxiliary heater is excellent. We also have a Brandrup internal liner and an external topper and we slept comfortably up top (we had the heater running on the lowest setting all through the night).
I have Ugg boots for indoors as the floor gets very cold. I also took along a supply of easy to warm stews for the week. It is important to have hot food.

Another factor are the campsite facilities. Our first campsite was Sykeside which is situated just on from the Kirkstone Pass. An amazing location, stunning views, lovely owner etc but the showers and bathrooms were chilly. Our next campsite was the Coniston Motorhome Club site: nothing like the atmosphere of the first site but as with all the club sites we have stayed on the shower blocks and showers are really warm. Coming off the mountains it helps to look forward to a good hot shower!
We can’t wait to get back out there now.

We enjoyed our first winter camping over Christmas at Cirencester. I think we had all sorts of weather, sun, lots of rain and snow. We were on a C&MC site so had a heated shower block and laundry to get stuff dry if needed (we didn't) and loved it. Our essentials were thermal undies, thick socks, books and wine!

Welcome to the forum I think a good site with warm showering facilities is very important The heater in the cali works extremely efficiently and you can dress well when you venture out, but you have to be warm when you shower.