Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Giro D'Italia and Stelvio Pass

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I will be taking my Cali to the Stelvio in 5 weeks to watch the Queens stage of the Giro, I also plan to ride it. Two of us in the Cali and it is likely to be cold. I wondered if any of you have stayed in sites around Bormio, Glarenza, Mustair or Santa Mari. There are some sites on Google but I wondered if anyone can give a personal recommendation. Thanks.

The camping in Santa Maria Val Mustair (just in Switzerland at the bottom of the Bormio pass) is very nice.

L-PmtbZ3V28Ti7s2neUvUyVZ4NVZqfH5Y5aReMzVHaMSBXFi5ICWjPMvBJuAk0byLQlbpyC7uYKWPEtlnm_mAsCwR8_I4Om6GEzyI11BwZT2hR1QGmvNfTqQvcjELZkWmDqpE-t7gBw6jhbTCgt4rCoi5jgY43UsFHcWvMnggZMOilQ6vGTE6bWnCsippAh9HCaSIFffjeUckr-rYxg36IEC6rDPxuH7YFEG5Ql9GuGFmkugDN5g5rmF1ZlZxLFWIrq2LIyQyvW3Ax77sY2KlKI0k7Dm-Mhu8TJLGGFpBmrKtk5CMmuf49II9IXhpWuyRUCI20ov0Yp9ZpMqSjTsRDrlzIFCibDKgsVOrHe-BhlPSm_gAJ4x1ZUe7cJl8t00CPnetN5PL1WZvWDpDDhAtoUY0i4JihOOpoFg93VXW8Fihn5hDdJRBfTT0wfberzYuAoJczxZL036E3CCrmuTDKSuWhxfNh-AwkWbaagGFWh7kvq2qkqVCaQeZhT40VZllZ10TQSjND0z8ZM848FUuS0NcLo7G8hICqp-bx_SeHbwTZTFNZOrDljS3CDwy20e10o57iM67PH_pTYvuNhsOK4lgXf3z_GnE66z4ECXnHBn9uxbxcMB=w1600-h1200-no

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Stayed here a couple of years ago.
Absolute fantastic campsite. Friendly family run and you can walk over the Italian border with 10mins if you want to escape Swiss prices;)

http://campingmuglin.ch/

I drove up the Stelvio from Italy into Switzerland in my previous T5 & you need an agile / cooperative passenger in a RHD van to look 'back & up' the hairpins to see if there's anything coming down. I can't imagine how it works in August.

As you'd expect it is pretty chilly at the top. Kudos for riding it too, I'm neither strong enough to get up it nor brave enough to ride down ...

View media item 945

I drove up the Stelvio from Italy into Switzerland in my previous T5 & you need an agile / cooperative passenger in a RHD van to look 'back & up' the hairpins to see if there's anything coming down. I can't imagine how it works in August.

As you'd expect it is pretty chilly at the top. Kudos for riding it too, I'm neither strong enough to get up it nor brave enough to ride down ...

View media item 945
That looks great.

Thanks for the info, this is one of the sites I have been looking at. Is it within walking distance of town?

Its right in the heart of the village of mustair. There is another bigger village about 5mins away, can't remember what it's called.
But you also have the Italian border 5 mins walk from the campsite were you can cross and buy stuff much cheaper than in Switzerland.
Although there are a couple of nice places to eat in Mustair, so always worth a visit if your there a while.
Very pretty, very peaceful and a lovely very well maintained campsite with all you need.
I won't hestitate to return when I'm next in the area.

Btw. You would access Stelvio via the Umbrail pass.

Its right in the heart of the village of mustair. There is another bigger village about 5mins away, can't remember what it's called.
But you also have the Italian border 5 mins walk from the campsite were you can cross and buy stuff much cheaper than in Switzerland.
Although there are a couple of nice places to eat in Mustair, so always worth a visit if your there a while.
Very pretty, very peaceful and a lovely very well maintained campsite with all you need.
I won't hestitate to return when I'm next in the area.

Btw. You would access Stelvio via the Umbrella pass.
Yes, we would use that pass. Was there much traffic, we were also looking at a site in Glorenza but the road from there to Mustair looks as if it might be a fast one and busy. Thanks for the info.

Yes, we would use that pass. Was there much traffic, we were also looking at a site in Glorenza but the road from there to Mustair looks as if it might be a fast one and busy. Thanks for the info.

Traffic was quieter on there, than Stelvio.
This was me cycling from the campsite to the next village and a view from the campsite. Village in the background.

http://s14.photobucket.com/user/soulstyledevon/media/A18199C5-FA65-424D-8CA8-307CBFAA9FE0_zpsnulmnway.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s14.photobucket.com/user/soulstyledevon/media/6CAE0B65-5CB8-4020-8322-B938538C6EE1_zps5ffl0cui.jpg.html][/URL]

Traffic was quieter on there, than Stelvio.
This was me cycling from the campsite to the next village and a view from the campsite. Village in the background.

http://s14.photobucket.com/user/soulstyledevon/media/A18199C5-FA65-424D-8CA8-307CBFAA9FE0_zpsnulmnway.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s14.photobucket.com/user/soulstyledevon/media/6CAE0B65-5CB8-4020-8322-B938538C6EE1_zps5ffl0cui.jpg.html][/URL]
That looks great. We just need the weather, -10 at the top of the pass today.

That looks great. We just need the weather, -10 at the top of the pass today.

It's one thing you can guarantee in the mountains. Unpredictable, fast changing conditions.
I hope you get the weather, it's a stunning part of the world

Stelvio. Hell of drive from Austrian side - that's the view of it. Very busy with cyclists, motorbikes and fast cars. Young t**t hit me whilst overtaking to avoid oncoming cyclist in his souped up Renault - I wasn't pleased. Just be aware - and as stated have an eagle eyed passenger for those 49 hairpins!

IMG_1067.JPG

Stelvio. Hell of drive from Austrian side - that's the view of it. Very busy with cyclists, motorbikes and fast cars. Young t**t hit me whilst overtaking to avoid oncoming cyclist in his souped up Renault - I wasn't pleased. Just be aware - and as stated have an eagle eyed passenger for those 49 hairpins!

View attachment 21052
Thanks for the info but I won't be driving up it, I will be riding my bike and the road will be closed to cars for the Giro, 'as long as it is not snowing'.