Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip abroad in a Camper van.

Hi Boris,

As far as the Black Forest is concerned, please find attached (.gpx file) an interesting 'adventurous' route (no worry: no off-road stretches) we drove there last year, all on back roads. A nice small campsite in the middle of the region is Camping zur Mühle.

ktglRqyesRVYuZ949zL9K4rIScMu4tkMPPcF9TabP71ikSnfA_lXDYurigsXSwDK3YUYG7FjUXe_C2l5rZnwpSm-L0egcMXOsUzCcIWDkx_Ik_pBHvsVgBeobSA4TQDTQ1T6yxixbhFpWg1VqvjH8CQrFd1VNX-JVbbrKLua9jTN0DYnDD_YfKLbaAT020SGCRC3A7nnIcjometCdHJ_yDa3P9_5KLBI1LeZgkxQLfOFx7DtaD-DjimOgFaphhIug61Br0fkGYgfG06m-yyEup2Z1tojZlnbjTtVQQkanXLkd_r92lQ2fmZ-uLaZ3s6eCYnQQ8LC46aH3xcw76O4tPE6FA81lRoNGFKKV2foBebxSF04KVSpmt80lpTkYvl1PmOxjp3vR-Lpy1SLQyIYrcIrZNcHVqKApxn7lI6Oevv9t7QcJR53SCeVtBUgl5Zr20HGDSVM1REr5RmcTgWURaKBeXNXl9jUfyJCB-Nbr0xxxHSaFO6ePAcMfw-mlQf6qKtHeugBBSaxqA2eeUT6DRLvnPMeb4G7zYzMuE7k8tEYnkqwBnFyY5IVy_YNet8-GhldnEgmTGX28acjcc0eEtlhk0vme4Z-44l-aSFwazB318nf_6Ew3qPNazBQdHzBx8dWdbYXqZzRDBSJfFWwWFgJunqL5FwO=w1600-h1071-no

If you're thinking about the Stelvio on the route back, do consider taking the Umbrail pass (just a km behind Stelvio) into Switzerland, you enter the Val Müstair region and road 28 from Sta Maria Val Müstair to Davos has been one of Top Gear's favourite drives...
Coming down from the Umbrail, there is a very nice campsite in Sta. Maria Val Müstair. When we were there once, the Swiss Spacecamper Club had its gathering there:

oUsSfnrF4Cbfy7TVqjVNbEbOeQCEhDn7MCvO3G2P0LTOd7eXEHFgqBJ8b54WAckXKu3z8neSbtHcI5TUZWQs8uLYLXxBhnq6Bzy5SG42DADK50EwLeQKt7VjG9aXP3eqde6Ay7c_2sDd6txd9kVCW1ZbIG1UHT_F1xpt8ycRa6Vwbs4tdcpiOyG9UD9nZzWVM3sP2Pv-q6zg_djzxa3VdKOynsMZPOQKJxxr5aSGSFk1G-klwqSZNK1_4SWM8gs9rb7DQCKkAAboIpUjN8OgsDH0iJ8HCcdLMMGbr7jcwuOONhujA01E0bvIy2aP0xWQb-ZnH7GCBov7TliN0XXF6jvrmsjg_eA4WyeyMy2x8fIPe2mJ7MmKBc3x2RjcfiYKCeJUai3FPm4bpU4Tbf2CL1u3YZLrRVO2ArPORiLNnvspS8KeVqeP07WlwcGdMJieeB8K0-Hkw-xAK3IY2HJS-u3d5VlH9OYjUlLMxtGLsulczbH9x30lrMRuuKrctvVYJ0D5glzl37Ar_0f7zuOZG8Y4jJWfeklkxtD7S7TQE48GfX4nPe4hdWRFXgHYXFaZkEjvQC8mwD0ad1-s5ezWOjFH3-2cE8z7abqwuvX98pUjt-y0GD91I8Rg7Sjy7oJGfNSsjcCZUN4QI8a7d8KTegnSQLDV6njA=w1600-h1200-no

Attachments

• zwarte-woud.gpx
    607.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
We travel to Austris/Bavaria/Italy every summer and its a pretty relaxed and easy trip. Permits are only required for City centres (We don't need them) and in Austria the Motorway Tag is not required unless you use the Motorway which in the Tirol/Salzburg areas is basically the one road east to west. (A12/E45). Ehrwald/Zugspitz - Kaprum/Zell am See - Archensee - are all worth a stop. I would recommend going over the Grossglockner we have done it in a 7.5 meter Motorhome with no issues. Some VERY nice suggested campsites:

Camping Brunnen near Fussen (Bavaria)
Zugspitz Resort near German Austria Border (Ehrwald)
Camping Archensee North tyrol
Sportcamp Woferlgut near Kaprun/Zell am See
Caravan Park Sexton near Italy side of Grossglockner pass

There are several campsites on the Lido di Jesolo peninsular East of Venice and at the end there is a very convenient cheap ferry direct to the main dock in Venice.

Have a good trip.

PS: Even the big ones get up to the top...

grossglockner pass 039.JPG
grossglockner02.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

It's a well known fact that the Beach is like a spritely plucky mountain goat, able climb any high alpine mountain pass with consummate ease, unlike the SE/Ocean that is left wallowing in the valleys due to the weight of all that kitchen gubbins. :thumb

Oh dear, what have I just said?[/QUOTE]

oops, pressed the wrong button.

Beaches are for the seaside, hence the name.:)
Our SE last year, on a missio to do the highest paved roads in Europe. HIghest is here, Veleta, Sierra Nevada overlooking Granada surprisingly. Unfortunately the very top bit is private but stayed overnight here.
P1120814.JPG Just see the Cali front row centre.

P1120773.JPG
One tip. If you have a PortaPotti type loo open the slide slightly BEFORE going high up. I tried to use the loo up there and had to get both feet on it and then pull hard to get the slide out. Hell of a bang as the pressure equalised. Fortunatly I had cleaned it out otherwise it could have been messy.

Great thread with lots of useful intel. We are headed to Switzerland this summer. Hopefully by then some of the snow will have melted, spring like conditions look to be arriving as of next week.

Hi Boris,

As far as the Black Forest is concerned, please find attached (.gpx file) an interesting 'adventurous' route (no worry: no off-road stretches) we drove there last year, all on back roads. A nice small campsite in the middle of the region is Camping zur Mühle.

ktglRqyesRVYuZ949zL9K4rIScMu4tkMPPcF9TabP71ikSnfA_lXDYurigsXSwDK3YUYG7FjUXe_C2l5rZnwpSm-L0egcMXOsUzCcIWDkx_Ik_pBHvsVgBeobSA4TQDTQ1T6yxixbhFpWg1VqvjH8CQrFd1VNX-JVbbrKLua9jTN0DYnDD_YfKLbaAT020SGCRC3A7nnIcjometCdHJ_yDa3P9_5KLBI1LeZgkxQLfOFx7DtaD-DjimOgFaphhIug61Br0fkGYgfG06m-yyEup2Z1tojZlnbjTtVQQkanXLkd_r92lQ2fmZ-uLaZ3s6eCYnQQ8LC46aH3xcw76O4tPE6FA81lRoNGFKKV2foBebxSF04KVSpmt80lpTkYvl1PmOxjp3vR-Lpy1SLQyIYrcIrZNcHVqKApxn7lI6Oevv9t7QcJR53SCeVtBUgl5Zr20HGDSVM1REr5RmcTgWURaKBeXNXl9jUfyJCB-Nbr0xxxHSaFO6ePAcMfw-mlQf6qKtHeugBBSaxqA2eeUT6DRLvnPMeb4G7zYzMuE7k8tEYnkqwBnFyY5IVy_YNet8-GhldnEgmTGX28acjcc0eEtlhk0vme4Z-44l-aSFwazB318nf_6Ew3qPNazBQdHzBx8dWdbYXqZzRDBSJfFWwWFgJunqL5FwO=w1600-h1071-no

If you're thinking about the Stelvio on the route back, do consider taking the Umbrail pass (just a km behind Stelvio) into Switzerland, you enter the Val Müstair region and road 28 from Sta Maria Val Müstair to Davos has been one of Top Gear's favourite drives...
Coming down from the Umbrail, there is a very nice campsite in Sta. Maria Val Müstair. When we were there once, the Swiss Spacecamper Club had its gathering there:

oUsSfnrF4Cbfy7TVqjVNbEbOeQCEhDn7MCvO3G2P0LTOd7eXEHFgqBJ8b54WAckXKu3z8neSbtHcI5TUZWQs8uLYLXxBhnq6Bzy5SG42DADK50EwLeQKt7VjG9aXP3eqde6Ay7c_2sDd6txd9kVCW1ZbIG1UHT_F1xpt8ycRa6Vwbs4tdcpiOyG9UD9nZzWVM3sP2Pv-q6zg_djzxa3VdKOynsMZPOQKJxxr5aSGSFk1G-klwqSZNK1_4SWM8gs9rb7DQCKkAAboIpUjN8OgsDH0iJ8HCcdLMMGbr7jcwuOONhujA01E0bvIy2aP0xWQb-ZnH7GCBov7TliN0XXF6jvrmsjg_eA4WyeyMy2x8fIPe2mJ7MmKBc3x2RjcfiYKCeJUai3FPm4bpU4Tbf2CL1u3YZLrRVO2ArPORiLNnvspS8KeVqeP07WlwcGdMJieeB8K0-Hkw-xAK3IY2HJS-u3d5VlH9OYjUlLMxtGLsulczbH9x30lrMRuuKrctvVYJ0D5glzl37Ar_0f7zuOZG8Y4jJWfeklkxtD7S7TQE48GfX4nPe4hdWRFXgHYXFaZkEjvQC8mwD0ad1-s5ezWOjFH3-2cE8z7abqwuvX98pUjt-y0GD91I8Rg7Sjy7oJGfNSsjcCZUN4QI8a7d8KTegnSQLDV6njA=w1600-h1200-no
Thanks Bart,
You are a star. Very useful information.
I'm going to take a very close look at your route once I have the necessary maps.

Best wishes,
Paul.

We travel to Austris/Bavaria/Italy every summer and its a pretty relaxed and easy trip. Permits are only required for City centres (We don't need them) and in Austria the Motorway Tag is not required unless you use the Motorway which in the Tirol/Salzburg areas is basically the one road east to west. (A12/E45). Ehrwald/Zugspitz - Kaprum/Zell am See - Archensee - are all worth a stop. I would recommend going over the Grossglockner we have done it in a 7.5 meter Motorhome with no issues. Some VERY nice suggested campsites:

Camping Brunnen near Fussen (Bavaria)
Zugspitz Resort near German Austria Border (Ehrwald)
Camping Archensee North tyrol
Sportcamp Woferlgut near Kaprun/Zell am See
Caravan Park Sexton near Italy side of Grossglockner pass

There are several campsites on the Lido di Jesolo peninsular East of Venice and at the end there is a very convenient cheap ferry direct to the main dock in Venice.

Have a good trip.

PS: Even the big ones get up to the top...

View attachment 31793
View attachment 31794

Our SE last year, on a missio to do the highest paved roads in Europe. HIghest is here, Veleta, Sierra Nevada overlooking Granada surprisingly. Unfortunately the very top bit is private but stayed overnight here.
View attachment 31797 Just see the Cali front row centre.

View attachment 31798
One tip. If you have a PortaPotti type loo open the slide slightly BEFORE going high up. I tried to use the loo up there and had to get both feet on it and then pull hard to get the slide out. Hell of a bang as the pressure equalised. Fortunatly I had cleaned it out otherwise it could have been messy.
Thanks Gazellio,
Another excellent post full of useful information. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Grossglockner will be open.

I don't mind paying out for the tags and tolls but only if I'm going to use them. I'd far rather soak up the scenery on the back roads, always providing we have allowed ourselves enough time.

Best wishes
Paul

According to the AA winter tyres are not required after 15th April.

I don't bother with a French Tag as they have an annual fee. Gives an incentive to go on the scenic but slow route.

View attachment 31797 Just see the Cali front row centre.

View attachment 31798
Hello Brian,
Oooof! Your high altitude toilet tale could've ended very badly indeed. I think we will leave the cube behind and make "alternative" arrangements.

We went up there in a nasty little hire car a few years ago for a picnic. It was deep in snow at the top and I was in a foul mood. We were on one of those last minute cheapo breaks they advertised on the telle box at that time and had purchased tickets to see the Alhambra palace. Upon arrival, after having driven many miles from our hotel in Fuengirola, we were greeted by the Spanish equivalent of a British Rail platform announcement, all noise and no clarity. We found out afterwards that it was apparently instructing visitors of the proceedure for entering the actual palace with their/our timed tickets. As you are probably aware the palace is only a small part of the site but we had assumed that we were in, having passed through the main entrance. Well, long story short, in the absence of any other information, we missed our timed entry slot into the palace and I got the hump! :headbang

Best wishes,
Paul

Last edited:
I forgot about Schwarzwalder Hof Camping in the Black Forest near Lahr great site with choice of full camping or air d camping. Good restaurant and free public swimming pool next door.

https://spacamping.de/

camp.jpg

Have a look at mccp’s post regarding http://www.aprr.fr It’s only €1.70 service charge per month for the months that you use it.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/bip-and-go-vs-liber-t-tags.19597/
Unless I’m mistaken the charge is €10 per year. We do three trips to France per year and on our most recent trip when we arrived at the peage near Chambery and were greated by hundreds of queuing cars the ability to use the auto lane was worth the €10 alone.

Great thread, I shall watch it with interest as I'm heading to the Dolomites at the end of June. I had been planning to barrel down the autoroute in France to get kms under my belt and then take my time over the Alps (via Freiburg, Garmisch-Partenkirschen and Innsbruck) but having read this may take the slower, shorter route through France. I look forward to reading more everyone!

Next month we are booked on a very early morning ferry to Dunkirk. Our eldest daughter and son in law have left their jobs and are spending the next six months touring Europe and Scotland in Helga, their ancient Mercedes campervan. Whilst in Italy, next month, they have rented a villa in Tuscany for several weeks and have invited us to come down and stay for a week. So, long story short, we have given ourselves four days to get there and almost four to get back. I have driven in Europe on very many occasions but have never been there in a camper van. Any advice would be welcomed especially on the most picturesque route to take us there and back and also the camping aspects. Our final destination is somewhere between Volterra and San Giminiano.

At this stage my thoughts are to drive through the Ardennes, the Black Forrest and then on to the Saltzberg area before taking the Grossglockner high alpine road (if open) towards Italy. Then on via Venice to our final destination. That's as far as I have got with the planning at present. I know it's the long way round but should easily be possible within our timescale. On the return I was thinking of trying the Stelvio pass but again haven't yet given it much thought. We don't much care for long trips on motorways and much prefer to dawdle along enjoying the scenery. What you you think?

We intend to use campsites on route. Is there an organization that I should join or publication that would help with this process. I had intended to just go and see what turns up. Wild camping?

One final thing. Will I need to buy some form of emissions permit for each country we visit. If we do need to enter cities we will almost certainly park up outside and take public transport. We have a T6 150ps manual.

I have only just started the research for our trip so would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

A couple of years ago we spend some nights at an B&B at lake Como. The price was fair, the land Lady spoke English and had lot of suggestions of what we could see. Breakfast was very nice too. Have a look at their webpage: http://www.bbalpozzo.net/

A couple of years ago we spend some nights at an B&B at lake Como. The price was fair, the land Lady spoke English and had lot of suggestions of what we could see. Breakfast was very nice too. Have a look at their webpage: http://www.bbalpozzo.net/
Very nice.
Thanks Thomas. Who knows we may stop there enroute.

Thanks Westfalia,
We may well adopt your route. The only reason for going towards Saltzburg was to drive across the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. This is something I've always fancied doing since I read about the famous hill climbs that took place there in the 1930s. They probably still have them today but it's that particular era in motorsport that interests me greatly. I'd just like to take a look for myself. However, if the pass is still closed there will be no point going that far.
View attachment 31781
Here's Hans Stuck tackling the Grossglockner in a 520bhp supercharged V16 Auto Union on cross ply tyres with no armco. Men were men then!
I was at Shelsey Walsh in 2016 to see his son, also Hans Stuck, take the same or similar car up the hill. Magnificent. The hairs on my neck should up.

It's a well known fact that the Beach is like a spritely plucky mountain goat, able to climb any high alpine mountain pass with consummate ease, unlike the SE/Ocean that is left wallowing in the valleys due to the weight of all that kitchen gubbins. :thumb

Oh dear, what have I just said?
We did the Grossglockner last year, had to get up the first part pretty dam quick as a vintage hill climb was about to start. This what we followed on the way down

5A195A81-6F55-4C43-94E8-659494843DB2.jpeg

Next month we are booked on a very early morning ferry to Dunkirk. Our eldest daughter and son in law have left their jobs and are spending the next six months touring Europe and Scotland in Helga, their ancient Mercedes campervan. Whilst in Italy, next month, they have rented a villa in Tuscany for several weeks and have invited us to come down and stay for a week. So, long story short, we have given ourselves four days to get there and almost four to get back. I have driven in Europe on very many occasions but have never been there in a camper van. Any advice would be welcomed especially on the most picturesque route to take us there and back and also the camping aspects. Our final destination is somewhere between Volterra and San Giminiano.

At this stage my thoughts are to drive through the Ardennes, the Black Forrest and then on to the Saltzberg area before taking the Grossglockner high alpine road (if open) towards Italy. Then on via Venice to our final destination. That's as far as I have got with the planning at present. I know it's the long way round but should easily be possible within our timescale. On the return I was thinking of trying the Stelvio pass but again haven't yet given it much thought. We don't much care for long trips on motorways and much prefer to dawdle along enjoying the scenery. What you you think?

We intend to use campsites on route. Is there an organization that I should join or publication that would help with this process. I had intended to just go and see what turns up. Wild camping?

One final thing. Will I need to buy some form of emissions permit for each country we visit. If we do need to enter cities we will almost certainly park up outside and take public transport. We have a T6 150ps manual.

I have only just started the research for our trip so would appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Hi, the Parkings ap is great and you get 7 days full membership for free. It plots everything from campsites and parking spots to service areas and you can add filters such as cost (ie free). I stayed in the grounds of a castle last night and am in a municipal site in Germany tonight all for free.

Back