Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greetings from Netherlands

Love to see a picture of this classic camper..

Hi, I'm Jaco from the Netherlands, and we bought a 1991 2.4D Westfalia camper a year ago.
So far lots of fun with the little snail-mobile, which recently ticked over to 400,000 kms.
Awesome. Only managed 365k km on my 2.4 before I sold it. :cheers

Nice. We have made our holidays with a 1991 westfalia california for 10 years; indestructible engine as long as you don't let it get too hot because they can't handle that (watch out at 90° and let it cool down -it’s done quickly- and don't let it get to 100°). Ours was sold last year and had 345,000 miles and ran better than when it was new (said the vw garage owner). They can still keep up with traffic but that's about it; they take you everywhere but at their own pace. We did many mountains and he never let us down.
The westfalia interior is heavy and solidly built to last forever. Rust is less of an issue with the first (1991 to somewhere early 1992) because of where they were manufactured then but you better still look out for it, especially on the wheel arches and at the bottom of the front window. Later ones rust much more and in different places (the latest ones are slightly better).
Ours got us hooked on this way of traveling and now we have a small campervan (t6.1 california coast) again and we just carry on as before (but now with air conditioning, more horsepower and an automatic transmission).
Maybe you know these but here’s more info: https://westfaliat4.info/html/vw_westfalia_t4_transporter_model_history.html
Or https://www.weetjewel.nl/phpbb3/index.php
They are great campervans. Have fun with it!
1689582345417.jpeg
One of the last pictures taken from ours on the last trip with it (UK, April 2022)

Last edited:
Nice. We have made our holidays with a 1991 westfalia california for 10 years; indestructible engine as long as you don't let it get too hot because they can't handle that (watch out at 90° and let it cool down -it’s done quickly- and don't let it get to 100°). Ours was sold last year and had 345,000 miles and ran better than when it was new (said the vw garage owner). They can still keep up with traffic but that's about it; they take you everywhere but at their own pace. We did many mountains and he never let us down.
The westfalia interior is heavy and solidly built to last forever. Rust is less of an issue with the first (1991 to somewhere early 1992) because of where they were manufactured then but you better still look out for it, especially on the wheel arches and at the bottom of the front window. Later ones rust much more and in different places (the latest ones are slightly better).
Ours got us hooked on this way of traveling and now we have a small campervan (t6.1 california coast) again and we just carry on as before (but now with air conditioning, more horsepower and an automatic transmission).
Maybe you know these but here’s more info: https://westfaliat4.info/html/vw_westfalia_t4_transporter_model_history.html
Or https://www.weetjewel.nl/phpbb3/index.php
They are great campervans. Have fun with it!
View attachment 111432
One of the last pictures taken from ours on the last trip with it (UK, April 2022)
Ours looks the same as your old one ;)
Yeah, had some rust on the support beams under the wheel arches, but fixed it myself.
So far, very little issues, besides the battery charger for the fridge, which I've replaced, but still not working properly..

camper.jpg

Ours looks the same as your old one ;)
Yeah, had some rust on the support beams under the wheel arches, but fixed it myself.
So far, very little issues, besides the battery charger for the fridge, which I've replaced, but still not working properly..

View attachment 111465
Yes almost the same (and he looks good). Yours has had in time white turn signal lights in the front and its safe has been 'lost' over the years. And of course the VW badge that has lost its gloss, they all have after those many years: this is easy to replace or even spray. I see that the bottoms have been given a black border and this means that they have also been treated: that's good. It looks very good in the photo and even one of the best because unfortunately the t4 westfalia's are not all well preserved. You can't imagine which one you will encounter: especially rust is the devil for them, mechanically they are so simple that everything can be repaired; so is your battery charger: maybe ask the people of weetjewel. Good luck with it.
The ‘westfalia furniture’ is built to last and the fridge is as good as the ones they now supply in the new cali. Also the heating.
Happy travels!

Last edited: