Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gurgling sound

M

Mcgheassons

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, I’ve got a 2018 California which has started making a gurgling sound while I’m parked up! It’s about every 2 mins and sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side of the car! It’s been going on for about 1.5 hours!
Any suggestions?

Does it appears when you are just sitting in the Cali nothing switched on and doors closed or when you open a door , switch on/of the contact , use other things in the Cali . The on board computer unit makes noises .

Is your roof up in the rain ?

Last edited:
Does it appears when you are just sitting in the Cali nothing switched on and doors closed or when you open a door , switch on/of the contact , use other things in the Cali . The on board computer unit makes noises .

Is your roof up in the rain ?
Door shut, roof down! It is raining but I’ve stood outside and can’t hear it! Also put my head to the sink and it’s not coming from there!

I’ve had the heater both on and off and the noise continues!

The rains forecast to go off in about an hour! I’ll recheck outside then!

Could be rainwater draining down the drainpipes ?

Where are the drainpipes? It’s definitely coming from the roof! I’ve just popped the roof up a wee bit and it’s louder! Also if got water running down the inside of the van, not from the sink!

Where are the drainpipes? It’s definitely coming from the roof! I’ve just popped the roof up a wee bit and it’s louder! Also if got water running down the inside of the van, not from the sink!
The front drain pipes run down the inside of the windshield pillars.

The front drain pipes run down the inside of the windshield pillars.
Nice one! I’ll pop the roof up on the morning! There’s a steady stream of water running down the in side of the van towards the front of the cabinet!

Nice one! I’ll pop the roof up on the morning! There’s a steady stream of water running down the in side of the van towards the front of the cabinet!
That is probably a leaking window. Pour yourself a big drink and type "leaking side window" into the search function. You have a couple of hours of reading ahead of you.

sing!!
Is it likely to be covered under warranty?

Looks likes it’s the window. If just dried it and will check again shortly!

Is the water coming in above or below the lower edge of the window? Above, window seal...below, window drain.
Another possibility is that the roof drains are partially clogged, and the accumulated water is seeping in from the roof.

Pretty sure it’s not coming from roof! I’ve had the side panel off at the seat belt and it’s totally dry in there! Ive a feeling it’s the window

As suggested above, have a look at the numerous post about window leaks. If you have water running down into the cupboard beneath the sink the chances are that it’s a dodgy side window. Basically there’s an amount of seepage around the sliding window seal which should drain out through drain holes that are integral to the bottom of the window frame. These drains are often faulty and allow water to flow into the cupboard.
The fix under warranty is to replace the whole side window, which VW say needs removal of the kitchen. It doesn’t and can be done without interfering with the inside of the Cali. There’s a growing group of us who have suffered the same issue and VW don‘t seem to be able to sort the obvious manufacturing fault.

If the top of your waste water tank is wet then it points
towards a leaking window.
Not sure about the gurgling sound though, you either have
exceptionally good ears or there is no sound not even
music in your van.

If the top of your waste water tank is wet then it points
towards a leaking window.
Not sure about the gurgling sound though, you either have
exceptionally good ears or there is no sound not even
music in your van.
I had a similar problem, a gurgling sound immediately above the passenger seat in the roof. Heard when it was raining with the roof up. I got up on a ladder and poured water into the gutter on each side of the roof. The gurgling appeared on left side where the water also backed where the drain was partially blocked. Over the drivers side the water drained with no gurgling. VW said this was a recognised problem and required very delicate clearance with a long brush/probe careful not to perforate the drainage tube. Said the blockage was likely a manufacturing fault due to poor calibre of the drain and this was done under warranty.

Back