Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

H&R Lowering springs, anyone had them fitted?

owen_h

owen_h

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Has anyone on here lowered their Cali (or van) using the H&R -40mm springs? If so which kit did you go for? After much pondering and failing to make a decision I am leaning towards going to the H&R option rather than the Sportline or full Eibach B12 or B14 coilover. From what I’m reading the H&R will give a more compliant ride than the Sportlines but still give improved cornering and body control. They are also half the price of the B12s. (H&R around £450 fitted, B12 around £1k).

Came to ordering a set and find that H&R do 4 kits for the 2wd Transporters (and another 2 for the 4wd variants). Basically comes down to max axel weights front and back as to which kit they recommend.

1) Front up to 1500kg Rear up to 1560kg
2) Front more than 1501kg Rear up to 1560kg
3) Front up to 1500kg Rear more than 1561kg
4) Front more than 1501kg Rear more than 1561kg

Some places are describing the fronts as heavy or light engine with the heavy engine being the older 5 cylinder 2.5 litre 174 and the light engine a 1.9 or 2.0 litre. And the rear described as heavy or light payload.
The vin plate for my Beach (a 2.0 litre 140 bhp T5.1) has the max axel weights as 1550 front and 1550 rear. So according to the vin plate I should go for kit 2) the heavy engine & light payload. But if I went by the engine description I would go for kit 1) the light engine & light payload. To me this light light option seems more logical as the van is already sitting lower on its springs at the rear than it is at the front. I don’t want to get a set of springs put on that drops the rear more than the front, if anything I would like a bigger drop on the front.
So my question is has anyone else used H&R springs and if so which ones? and did you follow the VIN plate or engine description? I would also be interested in knowing if all 2.0 litre Calis are plated with the same 1550 max axel load.

Thanks for any advice

Yes, i am interested in those too. Merseyspeed fit them for £320, very reasonable.

I have had a set fitted and like them a lot. Much better more controlled ride which seems to be progressive. Back end is firmer. Slightly lower, but not too much.

I bought mine as a bundle with front anti roll bar drop links and rubber seats for the rears from here;

To fit VW T5 California Face Lift 2010
1-1550 Kgs
2-1575 Kgs

Chilli Jam Vans
HQ: 3 Trevithick Crescent
Hayle, TR27 4AX
CORNWALL

e: info@chillijamvans.co.uk
Tel: 07813761028

Knew which ones to send, prompt delivery

The drop links are a good idea as these are difficult to undo without damaging them apparently. My mechanic was pleased to see them.

Alan

I have had a set fitted and like them a lot. Much better more controlled ride which seems to be progressive. Back end is firmer. Slightly lower, but not too much.

I bought mine as a bundle with front anti roll bar drop links and rubber seats for the rears from here;

To fit VW T5 California Face Lift 2010
1-1550 Kgs
2-1575 Kgs

Chilli Jam Vans
HQ: 3 Trevithick Crescent
Hayle, TR27 4AX
CORNWALL

e: info@chillijamvans.co.uk
Tel: 07813761028

Knew which ones to send, prompt delivery

The drop links are a good idea as these are difficult to undo without damaging them apparently. My mechanic was pleased to see them.

Alan
Hi Alan, what size wheels do you have on, any chance of a pic showing the new ride height.
Cheers, Carl

Ours is a 2010 Face lift model, so those axle weights I posted are for the SE version. Running on 17" VW Neva rims with Hankook DynaPro 4 season M+S tyres. Looks lower at the back, but measurement makes it a few cms higher than the front. The mud flaps do now rub on bumps more often than they used to.
Hope that helps the decision.

upload_2015-6-26_22-12-10.png

Thanks for all the advice and the photo (nice looking Cali :thumb). Merseyspeed sounds like a very good price for fitted but is a bit of a trek for me to get to. Been in contact with Chili jam vans and he has recomended version 3 the softer front and firmer rear combination. Placed the order an hour ago and already had personal email reply and tracking number so impressed with the service.

Hi,

Looking at these as well. Have a ore facelift 174 and have been advised by Transporters R Us to go for 29270-2. My front axle is 1575 and rear 1500. Just waiting for a response from Chilli Jam to confirm.

Have a local mechanic to fit them for me.

Interesting, Chilli Jam felt 29270-4 would be better, with higher load springs front and back. They were surprised that the axle weights were not higher. By going slightly heavier, unloaded the rear will sit a little higher but loaded up should look OK. Difficult decision, does anyone have any photos??

Now fitted and really pleased with the results.

Ride massively improved and feels much more planted in the road. Undulations and bumps no longer result in the van wallowing before it settles, bumps are absorbed really well. No noticeable deterioration in the overall comfort.

Fitted the 29270-4 set (hard front and rear) and the stance is spot on.

Would highly recommend the changes.

image.jpg

Appreciate this thread is from years ago, just wondering does anyone else have any further thoughts on H&R lowering springs?

Just sorted some Springfields, so thinking about lowering before the van before I fit them. This is partially from an aesthetic perspective, but also to reduce body roll. Not looking to do the full suspension swap as don't want to chuck that much money at it, but the springs seem a good compromise.

Last edited:
30mm lowering greatly improves handling... like night and day

I have had this done from new on my T6.1 and I personally do think its worth it for less body roll. I had hired a T6.1 before buying and the handling was the only thing I didnt like.

There are lengthy threads about the pros and cons - if you search “30mm lowering” you will find lots of posts which may help.

Appreciate this thread is from years ago, just wondering does anyone else have any further thoughts on H&R lowering springs?

Just sorted from Springfields, so thinking about lowering before the van before I fit them. This is partially from an aesthetic perspective, but also to reduce body roll. Not looking to do the full suspension swap as don't want to chuck that much money at it, but the springs seem a good compromise.
Uprated ARB's will reduce the body roll; Lowering the suspension will reduce ground clearance, so just depends more on where you will use the van.