H&R Anti Roll Bars fitted

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All,

Apologies for yet another ARB thread.

After reading many threads on the ARB's I decided it was a worthwhile upgrade to try and get rid of the wallowing and being blown about on motorways etc.
I have to thank many on here who have posted on the subject, it was a great help to me.
Also replaced the front drop links whilst doing the job as the factory fitted pressed metal looked a bit light

The new front Bar is 26mm and rear is 30mm. (Old bar 23 front and 24 rear)
Bushes and saddles for the rear are included in the kit. Front is bushes only (Using original saddles)

The following sizes, torques etc I found within this forum;
A 14mm Spline is needed on front and a 12mm spline for the rear. (The 12mm spline bolts at rear are replaced by Allen bolts that were supplied in the kit)
Front 14mm tightened to 110nm, Drop links to 60nm. Rear Allen = 60nm and the smaller saddle 30nm. I used blue thread lock when refitting.

The front bushes had a thicker collar on one side which I discovered is fitted with the thicker towards the inner side.
I did lube the inner of all new bushes with just a little Teflon grease. H&R do say no lube required but it did help a little with installation.

It helps (but not necessary)if the vehicle is level when installing.

The ride height or the firmness/softness of the suspension was not noticeably affected by this upgrade.

The difference to the ride is really amazing, especially when I bring the speed up. It just seems planted on he road and solid on bends.
Just cant understand why the correct sized bars aren't fitted to match the balance and the weight at time of manufacture.

As I was working on a 3ton vehicle I used plenty of the correct support required by way of Axle stands. NOT just Trolley Jacks!

Once again, a big thank you to those that have posted photo's etc on the subject previously, it gave me the confidence and information to do the job myself.

Big Thank You all.

Must be cost related.
I do know they like to keep cost down and will spend millions on advanced hydraulic (shake the sh1 t out of it till it breaks, to see where they can save a few Bob) machines.
I witnessed them shaking a Range Rover with the new electric wiring system, 12 years ago, to see if mechanical items broke. And to what extent they can reduce material but keep the strength.

Could you please share links to the ARB bought for future projects ?

Thanks very much.
I have been quoted £600 to upgrade 6.1 ARBs (Bognor Motors)
Has anyone upgraded their 6.1's?

Hi All,

Apologies for yet another ARB thread.

After reading many threads on the ARB's I decided it was a worthwhile upgrade to try and get rid of the wallowing and being blown about on motorways etc.
I have to thank many on here who have posted on the subject, it was a great help to me.
Also replaced the front drop links whilst doing the job as the factory fitted pressed metal looked a bit light

The new front Bar is 26mm and rear is 30mm. (Old bar 23 front and 24 rear)
Bushes and saddles for the rear are included in the kit. Front is bushes only (Using original saddles)

The following sizes, torques etc I found within this forum;
A 14mm Spline is needed on front and a 12mm spline for the rear. (The 12mm spline bolts at rear are replaced by Allen bolts that were supplied in the kit)
Front 14mm tightened to 110nm, Drop links to 60nm. Rear Allen = 60nm and the smaller saddle 30nm. I used blue thread lock when refitting.

The front bushes had a thicker collar on one side which I discovered is fitted with the thicker towards the inner side.
I did lube the inner of all new bushes with just a little Teflon grease. H&R do say no lube required but it did help a little with installation.

It helps (but not necessary)if the vehicle is level when installing.

The ride height or the firmness/softness of the suspension was not noticeably affected by this upgrade.

The difference to the ride is really amazing, especially when I bring the speed up. It just seems planted on he road and solid on bends.
Just cant understand why the correct sized bars aren't fitted to match the balance and the weight at time of manufacture.

As I was working on a 3ton vehicle I used plenty of the correct support required by way of Axle stands. NOT just Trolley Jacks!

Once again, a big thank you to those that have posted photo's etc on the subject previously, it gave me the confidence and information to do the job myself.

Big Thank You all.
What model California do you have @Shadrack

Good write up, thanks. Any issues with installation or is there good easy access front and rear to the bars?

Hi Itguy, Californication69,
Thanks for reading.
I have a 2016 204 Ocean,

It is straightforward but it took me a while to discover that and also the best way to approach. With the rear bar I did drive camper on to 4" workshop ramps. I could have done the job like that but supporting and removing a wheel makes things easier. I had 4 axle stands placed. I had to use a small bottle jack to squeeze bar ends into place.

Front, Loads of patience needed. For me the old front came out on n/s and new went back in O/S(Don't Ask)
I don't have the luxury of a lift so its a real fiddle from sides(Extra pair of hands needed on this bit) feed out and in from the sides. (Tip: use phone to take pic before strip down)
As well as supporting vehicle you will need to support the wishbone when removing ARB drop link bolts (Tip; Whilst Camper is supported Leave the spring tension on wishbone when cracking nuts to stop ball joint bolt spinning)
Then when refitting use bottle jack again under wishbone to help line up bolt holes.

There are two fixing holes at the end of front ARB I chose the tighter fixing (second hole in) firmer anti roll.

At all times I had 4 axle stands under camper as well as a couple of Jacks in use.

H&R ARB kit Cost £399.99 (Van-Teck)
Drop Links Heavy Duty £30'ish Flea Bay

I hope the above helps a little. Cheers

I spec'ed stiffer AR bars when I ordered my Cali Coast for exactly this reason. With the 199 hp motor and 4motion I wanted a more planted platform when cornering.

I spec'ed stiffer AR bars when I ordered my Cali Coast for exactly this reason. With the 199 hp motor and 4motion I wanted a more planted platform when cornering.
I didnt see the option when specing my 6.1 or I'd have done the same...