Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

H7 led replacements - some comparison pictures

Big Ted

Big Ted

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I’ve managed to borrow a cheapo set of Chinese H7 led bulbs.
I‘ve swopped one out and then the heavens have opened, so I’ve retired inside.
Here are some comparison photos.
The light scatter seems to be all over the place with the LED, not sure if I need to re seat the bulb.
It’s certainly a whiter light, but I’m thinking it’s going to dazzle too many people.
(I know these are not legal and an MOT failure.)

I'm not 100% convinced & will try out both sets of bulbs tomorrow eve around some country lanes & report back.

Front view before evening fellIMG_0315.jpeg
Just LEDIMG_0320.jpeg
Just HalogenIMG_0319.jpeg
BothIMG_0318.jpeg

I’ve managed to borrow a cheapo set of Chinese H7 led bulbs.
I‘ve swopped one out and then the heavens have opened, so I’ve retired inside.
Here are some comparison photos.
The light scatter seems to be all over the place with the LED, not sure if I need to re seat the bulb.
It’s certainly a whiter light, but I’m thinking it’s going to dazzle too many people.
(I know these are not legal and an MOT failure.)

I'm not 100% convinced & will try out both sets of bulbs tomorrow eve around some country lanes & report back.

Front view before evening fellView attachment 52204
Just LEDView attachment 52207
Just HalogenView attachment 52208
BothView attachment 52209

Will definitely get some flashes with those in place. Certainly not a well defined light spread.

The greatest problem with LED bulbs is in getting the LED in exactly the correct location within the headlight unit reflector. It is very expensive to design and produce bulbs with such a tight tolerance and as can be seen the cheap ones just cannot achieve this.
Philips produce a LED bulb, at a price, that could fit the requirements but even this isn't road legal.

Until such a time as an LED bulb is produced with the required E marking its safe to assume that you will get both beam accuracy and legal issues with the current offerings.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Your other option would be to upgrade to the 5.1 front end and fit the xenon pack

Decided not to faff about with another test this evening - since as originally stated I know they are not legal & are an MOT failure - (insurance not valid too) they are back in the box & going back to the lender.
A nice test, but as stated, the light scatter is way too much.

It amazes me that these can be made & shipped from China for £12.
IMG_0322.jpeg

Would be interested to trial the £112 Osram ones, but my pockets are not deep enough for this.
Definitely not deep enough for a 5.1 upgraded front end & headlamps!!

Will look to replace the halogen's with some of the upgraded Night breaker type of halogen bulbs when the time comes.

philips crystal vision is a H7 or H11 good replacement, noticeable difference.

I've got Philips and Ge +150% bulbs in 2 vehicles. The GE bulb has better light performance in that on dip the main light area and where the cut off is seen is 'crisper'.

I'm debating trying the expensive PIAA 4000K extreme bulbs, more than twice the price of the others.

PIAA are in the Cibie category for competition use lights.

Since read a USA report on these and they didn't see the cost justification over other upgrades.

interestingly I found that they referred to the fact that Halogen bulbs degrade over time and that they should be replaced every 2 years. from that I'd say if your bulbs are 4 or more years old then an upgrade replacement would be a good idea as standard practice.

Last edited:
Your other option would be to upgrade to the 5.1 front end and fit the xenon pack
Need the full Zenon auto level control which involves changing front ARB plus all the wiring etc. to be fully legal.

Back