Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Habitation service

Silver

Silver

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Having just sold a motorhome I'm seriously thinking of buying a California as I'm keen to return to a campervan. However, I would appreciate input re servicing.

With a motorhome during warranty period you need to ensure a base vehicle service and a yearly habitation service which covers a gas pressure, dampness check and various other checks.

How does this work with the California given it does use gas for the hob. I suppose a dampness check makes sense also. Is this included in the VW service schedule ?

Cheers, Silver

Hi this is not something VW will or can do it will need to be done idealy by a motorhome service centre or a gas engineer qualified on lpg

Hi this is not something VW will or can do it will need to be done idealy by a motorhome service centre or a gas engineer qualified on lpg

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected that would be the case. How about other aspects of habitation like damp check.

I guess the same motorhome service centre will be able to check. Can't imagine a Cali suffering damp like a caravan

I guess the same motorhome service centre will be able to check. Can't imagine a Cali suffering damp like a caravan

Once again many thanks for your response.

I had a t5 conversion before the M/h which had water ingress which would have failed a damp check. It was out of warranty at the time. The local VW dealer did not want to touch it because it was a conversion. I finally found the source to be a rubber bung, fitted by VW, which was leaking.

I take it then that VW do not specify any habitation related checks with respect to warranty.

Once again many thanks for your response.

I had a t5 conversion before the M/h which had water ingress which would have failed a damp check. It was out of warranty at the time. The local VW dealer did not want to touch it because it was a conversion. I finally found the source to be a rubber bung, fitted by VW, which was leaking.

I take it then that VW do not specify any habitation related checks with respect to warranty.

Correct. VW deal with the whole package in the warranty period. Out of warranty the back end service depends on the knowledge of the dealer. There are some recommendations on the forum, but broadly you do need to use a Lifestyle dealer to have a chance of finding someone who knows their way around. I've never heard of a dealer asking about a habitation check.
There are also some other posts on the forum about habitation checks that are worth a scan

Correct. VW deal with the whole package in the warranty period. Out of warranty the back end service depends on the knowledge of the dealer. There are some recommendations on the forum, but broadly you do need to use a Lifestyle dealer to have a chance of finding someone who knows their way around. I've never heard of a dealer asking about a habitation check.
There are also some other posts on the forum about habitation checks that are worth a scan
Many thanks for the reply. I understand from speaking to a dealer the main concern is regarding a gas check which needs to be done every three yeas by a qualified gas engineer who provides a certificate. A lot less hassle than a motor home or caravan. Sounds good to me