Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Half of Brits want elderly drivers banned from the roads - many back tests after 60.....

The problem with tests is that they only measure ability on an occasion when you are being watched. In addition to lack of ability, poor driving occurs due to lack of experience and in particular due to poor attitude. Many drivers, and it seems to me, often younger ones think there is no need to stick to the rules as they are rarely enforced and they themselves are invincible. I would be in favour of banning all under 25 and all over 75.
There are a lot of 75 year old drivers (I am not 75) that are considerably better drivers than a 25 year old or a 30 year old. Look at insurance rates. What should happen is re tests for all, what ever age, to ensure people are updated on technology advances and to ensure their capability to drive/operate a potentially dangerous piece of equipment.

Yes there are many good over 75's and some very poor ones. I did backtrack on my attitude to over 75's in post 25. The fact is the under 25's is the main problem, backed up by insurance rates.

I worked for a large UK Insurer for 20 years, mostly in claims. Younger drivers have lots of accidents, particularly boys as we all know. The stats also suggest that drivers over 65 start to have more accidents. Older drivers tend to drive less miles per year than younger drivers. Based on miles driven our stats showed that drivers over 65 had as many accidents as young drivers per mile driven. As someone in their early sixties I am waiting for my cognitive decline to kick in.

Yes there are many good over 75's and some very poor ones. I did backtrack on my attitude to over 75's in post 25. The fact is the under 25's is the main problem, backed up by insurance rates.

I wouldn’t worry about under 25s driving.
Have you seen their insurance quotations…?
I’m not sure 3 shifts at Maccies would cover the policy premium…

I just love these polls ....

98% of Brits think everyone else should be banned from the road that does not conform to the category that they think they belong in.:shocked

I worked for a large UK Insurer for 20 years, mostly in claims. Younger drivers have lots of accidents, particularly boys as we all know. The stats also suggest that drivers over 65 start to have more accidents. Older drivers tend to drive less miles per year than younger drivers. Based on miles driven our stats showed that drivers over 65 had as many accidents as young drivers per mile driven. As someone in their early sixties I am waiting for my cognitive decline to kick in.
Yes over 65 dont drive as much typically as younger drivers but that does not nearly explain why the 66-70 age group enjoy the lowest motor insurance rates of any group. According to the Association of British Insurers the combined stats from all insurers for 2020 show that a typical policyholder in 18-24 range will on average cost for claims about 2 and a half times as much as a typical policyholder in 66-70 range. That is because they are 55% more likely to make a claim and that claim will on average cost 60% more. But after 70 its all bad news as health issues bite.

If the accident rate is amongst the highest in younger drivers who will have recently passed a test then perhaps the whole system needs looking at…
... this is what the Germans implemented, and I must say it meant my teenage boys were very aware of how they should be driving. It's extremely expensive to get a licence here, and once they got one, they tend to want to keep it.

"Probationary period for all​

The probationary period applies to anyone who has obtained a driving licence for the first time. It usually lasts two years, but can be extended due to certain rule violations. After this time your driving licence is automatically valid indefinitely.
The purpose of the trial period is to better protect young drivers through stricter rules. In the 18-25 age group, the risk of fatal car accidents is three to four times higher than in all other age groups. This is why it is particularly important for inexperienced drivers to comply with traffic rules.
How does the probationary period specifically affect me?
The trial period is, so to speak, the third examination phase in which the new drivers have to prove their skills. Therefore, during this period, stricter penalties apply for traffic offences and certain restrictions.
The best known limitation is certainly the zero per mil rule.
During the trial period it is strictly forbidden to drive under the influence of alcohol. No wine, no beer, and no other alcoholic beverage. Only when the probationary period has ended and you are 21 years old does a blood alcohol limit of 0.5 apply.

What happens if I commit a traffic violation?

Possible consequences are:

Yes over 65 dont drive as much typically as younger drivers but that does not nearly explain why the 66-70 age group enjoy the lowest motor insurance rates of any group. According to the Association of British Insurers the combined stats from all insurers for 2020 show that a typical policyholder in 18-24 range will on average cost for claims about 2 and a half times as much as a typical policyholder in 66-70 range. That is because they are 55% more likely to make a claim and that claim will on average cost 60% more. But after 70 its all bad news as health issues bite.
I'm sure you are right. When I saw the stats it was a few years ago so perhaps the age range has moved up a bit.

... this is what the Germans implemented, and I must say it meant my teenage boys were very aware of how they should be driving. It's extremely expensive to get a licence here, and once they got one, they tend to want to keep it.

The probationary period applies to anyone who has obtained a driving licence for the first time. It usually lasts two years, but can be extended due to certain rule violations. After this time your driving licence is automatically valid indefinitely.
The purpose of the trial period is to better protect young drivers through stricter rules. In the 18-25 age group, the risk of fatal car accidents is three to four times higher than in all other age groups. This is why it is particularly important for inexperienced drivers to comply with traffic rules.
The trial period is, so to speak, the third examination phase in which the new drivers have to prove their skills. Therefore, during this period, stricter penalties apply for traffic offences and certain restrictions.
During the trial period it is strictly forbidden to drive under the influence of alcohol. No wine, no beer, and no other alcoholic beverage. Only when the probationary period has ended and you are 21 years old does a blood alcohol limit of 0.5 apply.

We have a similar system in the UK.

We run a similar system here whereby new drivers can have a license revoked if they are caught braking traffic laws.

I just love these polls ....

98% of Brits think everyone else should be banned from the road that does not conform to the category that they think they belong in.:shocked
My late grandfather always said 'Take all the cars off the road, except mine' He was a terrible driver.

Better buy some new walking shoes then ...

At least Ageism is still allowed by the PC brigade ...
I'd have mandatory driving tests for urban BMW drivers, introduce them to the indicator stalk. Statistically most drivers over 60 are a lower collision risk, but let's not get in the way of the uneducated masses, shall we?

FFS!

I'd have mandatory driving tests for urban BMW drivers, introduce them to the indicator stalk. Statistically most drivers over 60 are a lower collision risk, but let's not get in the way of the uneducated masses, shall we?

FFS!
Apparently 50% of the population doesn't know what 50% means, so statistics are just a jumble of numbers that clever people use to confuse idiots.

Apparently 50% of the population doesn't know what 50% means, so statistics are just a jumble of numbers that clever people use to confuse idiots.
I have two thoughts on that...
1. Some people cannot extrapolate from incomplete data...

My late grandfather always said 'Take all the cars off the road, except mine' He was a terrible driver.

My dad never passed a test for a car. He gravitated from a motor scooter to a Robin Reliant.

He once told me how they were "over engineered". Apparently they had anti-lock brakes way before anyone else.

"I know it for a fact. When I brake too hard I can feel the brakes releasing".:shocked

"Dad, dad ......... that's the wheels locking up and you skidding ......."

He truly was horrific. I refused to ever let him drive me anywhere.

Your link sent me straight to a joke website.

There’s never been a true word written on that rag , just sick culture war baiting.

I hope it didn’t make you too angry.
Had me smiling, thought it might give everyone here a laugh :upsidedown

For me it is 'Attitude' that seems to matter the most - if you care about your driving and respect other people then the roads would be a much better place.

Had me smiling, thought it might give everyone here a laugh :upsidedown

For me it is 'Attitude' that seems to matter the most - if you care about your driving and respect other people then the roads would be a much better place.
Right on cue, in today's news - attitude -

Police investigate claims van driver 'drove straight over' family of ducklings crossing road​

Back