Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Half Term 2018 with 3 and 5 year olds. Inspiration please!

Aca_chap

Aca_chap

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have had our Ocean for for nearly 2 years now and absolutely loved the freedom with shorter trips. Now the kids are a little older, the four of us are going to try and venture away for 2 weeks in October.

I would love to hear of some positive experiences as inspiration - we are a blank canvas right now with destination. Have fuel, will travel!

I was considering possibly a French campsite with heated pool (huttopia type place) or even going further south (Italy) or north (Norway).

Would love to hear of any first hand recxomendations.

All the best

I am also looking at a similar time however I have noticed a lot of camp sites are closed come October , especially in France.

I went to the Isle of Skye in a rented camper van with my 4 and 6 year old, three years ago.

They really loved the van and spent much of the time in the pop up roof watching the world go by -- destination was probably immaterial (I think one of the highlights of the trip was the playground in the motorway services near Birmingham).

Prob would go south rather than north in October though

You could try looking for a ‘caravaneige’ in France ie a campsite that is open summer and winter near the ski resorts. The swimming pools are often closed though.

I went to the Isle of Skye in a rented camper van with my 4 and 6 year old, three years ago.

They really loved the van and spent much of the time in the pop up roof watching the world go by -- destination was probably immaterial (I think one of the highlights of the trip was the playground in the motorway services near Birmingham).

Prob would go south rather than north in October though

Many campsites in France start shutting down from the end of September. If heading south you need to choose carefully.

We found a very nice campsite in northern Valencia open early November last year, and the unheated pool was still swimmable. Camping Tauro in Benicassim.

Southern France we found to be cold at that time of year.

Slightly later, perhaps the end of November, we were in southern Italy- Manfredonia and again found some warmth. The Adriatic coast of Italy is in a rain shadow, so dryer and warmer. The campsite (15 Euros per night) is on a secluded sandy beach. Camping Lido Salpi Manfredonia.

Both Benicassim and Manfredonia are a three day drive with young children so you’d need to find some way of extending the 9 days half term. Perhaps both children could have a nasty cold from the Thursday before half term? Leave Wednesday at 3.30, Paris by 10pm, then Perpignan or Verona on Thursday, arriving at your chosen destination on Friday. This would give you six or seven days before blasting home in time for school on the next Monday.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
We have had some good trips to the South of France in October - had a particulary fun day in the sea in Biaritz on Halloween in 2013 :)

This site and associated card offer discounts on sites out of season - so it a great place to find out of season sites. https://www.campingcard.co.uk/