Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

handle at bottom of gas cylinder cabinet.

R

Roger Evans

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone know what the small silver handle which sits underneath the gas cylinder is for ? It pulls up, and but normaly sits in its down pre designed slot. It looks like a release mechanism.

Also, when I put a 907 cannister in the cabinet, the weight of the cylinder pulls the plastic housing against a surrounding object creating an annoying sqeaking noise as I drive along. Is this a common experience, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it ? Otherwise, the Cali is beautifully engineered and amazingly squeak free.

Kind regards.

Valve to let out gas should you have leak, vents under the van.
No issue with squeak on ours, are you pushing in the rubber wedge to ensure the bottle is tight in housing ?

Dear Andy, thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I have the foam wedge firmly in place. I think the weight of the cylinder may be pressing the compartment down against a metal joint on wiring or tubing, or possible onto a neighbouring component. (Imagine the sound of plastic sqeaking against plastic. ). The rest of the vehicle is so beatifully engineered that its runs with very little noise.

The handle of the vent sits in a tailor made groove, but I find it still rattles. Blu-tak seem to work best.

It's a brand new Cali, so I'll ask the garage to investigate. I have to bring it back anyway - the tube which drains off the fresh water has been left inside the body shell, and so the water gushes out of the tailgate instead !

It's a brand new Cali, so I'll ask the garage to investigate. I have to bring it back anyway - the tube which drains off the fresh water has been left inside the body shell, and so the water gushes out of the tailgate instead !

It is normal that way , don't think they can fix that....
On all Cali's it just drains thru the plastic bottem...

Last edited:
The fresh water tank drains out onto the underbody tray, unlike the Dirty tank that has a drain pipe. Normal.

Back