Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anybody been to Iceland by ferry?

S

Super Californilistic

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello,
This summer (2023) we are taking the ferry from Hirtshals to Iceland. I wonder if anybody has done this trip with a California and in which category they were booked? The threshold is 190cm and I am over that by 5-8cm.
A gentleman wrote on FB that his VW California was automatically added to the “under 190cm category“ as soon as he put in the make. I had to select the height myself and I put it in the same bunch. What was your experience? Is the ferry crew very pick?
Thanks for all answers and advices.

Hello,
This summer (2023) we are taking the ferry from Hirtshals to Iceland. I wonder if anybody has done this trip with a California and in which category they were booked? The threshold is 190cm and I am over that by 5-8cm.
A gentleman wrote on FB that his VW California was automatically added to the “under 190cm category“ as soon as he put in the make. I had to select the height myself and I put it in the same bunch. What was your experience? Is the ferry crew very pick?
Ferry crew are normally very good, they know which parts of the deck suit larger vehicles. This is why they direct you a specific lane when you check in. But always try to book it with correct height, rather than trying to sort out on check-in….just in case a lot of high vehicles turn up that day.

Some parts of the garage have very low ceilings.

Sounds like you've already decided on doing this, but personally I'm not sure I'd want to take my van to Iceland! Route 1 is mainly surfaced, but a lot of the connecting roads are rutted tracks and given the ever-present risk of ash fall it's one of the few places I'd rather hire one (and that's what we did!).

There's a whole thing about a recent Cali trip to Iceland on the FB Cali forum:

Hello,
Hi!,
Did you booked the California in 190cm? Was there any problem?
Thanks in advance

There’s a good uTube channel by a photographer called Thomas Heaton; he has a small camper van (which he converted himself), and he recently did a UK - Iceland ferry trip which he’s posted. Might be useful viewing.

Iceland is a beautiful country. But Stay away from the south and visit the west fjords instead. We decided to put the van in a shipping container and fly afterwards.. it was the same cost as the ferry for a family of five. You don’t loose valuable travel days (driving to Denmark plus 3 days on the ferry x2) food and drinks is a very expensive cost on the ferry.

Iceland is staggering beautiful to tour by road, but having stood on the south coast in ‘good’ weather and looked out to sea, there is no way I would travel there by ferry, with or without my Cali.

Back