Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone ever had to jack up the van by the roadside?

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Had a puncture?
Knowing where the jack is on back of bench, wheel under the van, locking nut on it, different locking nut on the wheels, whenever I think about it I imagine it would be one of the worst days of my life. Particularly if raining.
If I ever drive over glass, I wince.
Oh and I forgot, I had the spare stolen years ago and I bought a replacement on eBay. I hope I got the correct size. But that worries me also!
I've had a few problems changing a wheel. These are my tips. On the comfort of your own drive remove the wheels and copper grease the hub spigots. You might need a big piece of wood to 'persuade' the wheels off if they haven't been off for a while. Obviously be careful. Best not do this just relying on the vehicle jack. Don't rely on the wheel brace supplied with the van. Invest in a quality socket and breaker bar. This should help if your wheel bolts have been gunned on too tight. Also the superior fit will make it easier on the locking key/locking bolt. I found it a struggle (I had the VW lowered springs) to remove the spare (I think I'm getting too old!). In fact if I had a puncture on the motorway I would not change the wheel on the hard shoulder. Put the hazard lights on and drive slowly to the next junction. It might wreck the tyre but at least you are less likely to be hit by a wandering 45 ton truck. The police don't stay on the hard shoulder if they can help it. They have seen too many nasty accidents. Hate to say it but a pump and go kit might be a handy option.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Had a puncture?
Knowing where the jack is on back of bench, wheel under the van, locking nut on it, different locking nut on the wheels, whenever I think about it I imagine it would be one of the worst days of my life. Particularly if raining.
If I ever drive over glass, I wince.
Oh and I forgot, I had the spare stolen years ago and I bought a replacement on eBay. I hope I got the correct size. But that worries me also!
Yes, twice unfortunately. First time I was driving behind a breakdown vehicle and piece of sharp metal fell off, couldn’t swerve or brake quick enough. managed to get to the works car park, couldn’t get the wheel with the flat tyre off after getting the spare out so had to call the aa, he brought a very large hammer. Other than that it wasn’t too bad.

Second time in the rain in my close (nail through the tyre) thankfully having just done this 3 months before I knew the procedure. Not too bad tbh but got soaked. The jack etc is actually ok. I wouldn’t be comfortable retrieving the toolkit on a busy road though.

Three rear wheel punctures todate. It's a lot quicker doing it yourself rather than waiting for a recovery, but I suggest the following.
Take the wheels off, or have them taken off. Then have a THIN layer of copper slip applied to the mating surfaces.
Then have a practice at home to familiarise yourself with the procedure. Care must be exercised, because it potentially can be a dangerous procedure.
The most difficult bit it is replacing the punctured wheel in the rack. So the best idea is to leave it to a more convenient time.

That question makes me chuckle every time I see it in the forum list . Ooh, er misses!

Back