Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone retro fitted Parking Sensors?

J

ja197

VIP Member
Hi, has anyone retro fitted parking sensors to their Cali and can anyone give any hints on how/where to run the cables/speaker please? Sadly buying 2nd hand didn't give me the option of factory fit and it seems that it will cost more in labour just to run the cables inside than it costs to fit the rest of the system??! So think I'll have a go myself - ow hard can it be!?... :!:

Thanks in advance.
James

The OEM aftermarket replacement kit is manufactured by Cobra, these won't interface with the radio for Optical Parking.

Something I have been caught with some time ago with 3rd party sensors was the height at which they operate. Check the place you intend to locate them in the bumper is within the specification or operating window of the sensor.

Genuine Parts Front & Rear

Genuine Parts Rear Only

If it were me I would take my time and fit the OEM parts properly. I have fitted many OEM kits before and you'll nearly always find that when you remove the bumper there are markings to tell you where to drill.

Thanks Stu, sorry should have highlighted my Cali is an 07 so no dash display option. I hadn't realised the height issue so thanks for that - I've been recommended a Cobra version but will check that works ok for height before proceeding. Guess its worth looking at the internal cabling options before forking out money still, I was assuming that getting the o/s lower rear trim panel by the heater unit off wasn't too difficult but need to look at how far I can get towards the front without risking trashing too many more trim clips and generating a load of bad fit lines and rattles...

Regards

All wiring looms in the cali go up the n/s inside. So to do any work vw charge a lot as the kithen wordrobe etc have to come out to acess them.
Possibly could make wires into a loom & run along n/s under cali & come up through floor under passenger seat then under carpet up to dash.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I had my parking sensors fitted by Hazzy Dayz. I did see the wiring going in from the rear. It went hi up from the top of the rear cupboard inside the bulkhead above the fridge/cooker and into the roof lining over the passenger seat. Then down the front pillar into the dash. No need to remove any of the cupboards as far I could see.
Have Fun
Bob

The simplicity of something like the Cobra kits is that they are 'triggered' by the reversing light and you can mount the sounder in the rear of the van - so long as you can hear it - so no need to big wiring jobs.

SMG would be able to supply a Cobra kit I expect.

Thanks for the replies, I think putting the sounder as far forward as possible without taking all the trim out sounds like a good solution.. I'll let people know how it goes.

Hi,

Did you manage to fit the flush reverse parking sensor kit?

Having seen the flush style sensors in the T5.1 2013 on, I really do not want the front mounted versions now.

Any pictures or feedback on the results would be much appreciated. I was going to just buy a set but was worried they might not work very well on the older 2011 bumper.

Andrew.

Back