Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Having previously been a Beach Owner, and now a Westfalia Columbus Owner I am now wondering about returning to the the Cali Fold

jamesC

jamesC

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi All,

Has anybody been on a journey like this? First a new Cali Beach in 2013, then having caved to my better half, we bought a Fiat based Westfalia Columbus 600D in 2016. Now after 6 amazing years we are considering returning to an Ocean or Coast spec Cali.

Am I mad, or is this just a sensible return to where I should never have left?

Thanks

James

IMG_5035.jpg

You’re unlikely to have madness diagnosed for that on this forum!
I’d be interested to hear what reasons have led to you thinking you’d like to revert to a California though…

Was the reason to switch to the Westfalia Colombus 600D that you felt you needed more space? A made bed? more height? Has the Columbus been your daily driver? Will the ocean or coast be your daily driver? So many variables... please tell us and we'll tell us wether you are crazy or not ;-)

You’re unlikely to have madness diagnosed for that on this forum!
I’d be interested to hear what reasons have led to you thinking you’d like to revert to a California though…
The Columbus has all the things you mention, fixed bed, toilet/shower even rediculous luxuries like under floor heating, but we find ourselves camping less and less now to the point where most trips are now based around my interests (mountain biking and motorsport). This means I often camp solo and the luxuries are not really what camping is about for me.

I would like something more nimble to drive and less of a beast to park... and perhaps easier to keep on the driveway.

Was the reason to switch to the Westfalia Colombus 600D that you felt you needed more space? A made bed? more height? Has the Columbus been your daily driver? Will the ocean or coast be your daily driver? So many variables... please tell us and we'll tell us wether you are crazy or not ;-)
We definitely bought the Westfalia with comfort and a toilet in mind. Also the convenience of having no pop top to contend with in less than ideal weather.

I think that I could easily go back to using a Cali as a daily driver which would save all the costs associated with having multiple vehicles/insurance/servicing etc.

The Columbus has all the things you mention, fixed bed, toilet/shower even rediculous luxuries like under floor heating, but we find ourselves camping less and less now to the point where most trips are now based around my interests (mountain biking and motorsport). This means I often camp solo and the luxuries are not really what camping is about for me.

I would like something more nimble to drive and less of a beast to park... and perhaps easier to keep on the driveway.
Sounds logical, if your wife is ok to spend a few nights in a Cali with less comfort than the Colombus when you ocassionaly do go out camping together. Sounds like it'll be more of a funcamper for you and your hobbies and perhaps a daily driver. In that case I think you're not crazy. Smart even ;-)

All different van/MoHo options offer different pros/cons.
For us, the main thing with having a Cali right now is that it can be a daily driver if needed. Fits it normal parking places, and is less than 2m high. Great for city adventures as well as those further afield.
I'm sure in time, we will be in the market for a Grand Cali 680, but not yet.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to come back to a Cali. We all know it's a sensible option :thumb

Well I've gone the other way for the opposite of reasons :)

When it was just me spending most of my time off Grid and limboing under 2m height barriers the Cali was perfect. If I was to go back to predominantly that then I would have a Cali in the drive like a shot.

However 70% of my camping time now is towing my Sister's caravan behind me, parking up on a regular camp site and staying there for a few days using my bicycle as the main means of daily transport. So I now have a 5.4m Hymer, end bed, on board loo,

I will have a Cali back in the family again in about 4 months, not on my drive, on my son's, shared ownership for when I want to do my own off-grid thing.

Quite normal for requirements to change and the answer to those requirements also to change. Bon chance and bon voyage!!!!

so, in that equation, you have ignored the most important part - the wife. If you are ready to take that risk, then go on ;) :thumb

Jokes apart - I have many times considered a larger vehicle - again, just like you, to pursue my interests in cycling, and it is the nimbleness and the compactness of the Cali that have kept me from moving to a larger vehicle.

Hi All,

Has anybody been on a journey like this? First a new Cali Beach in 2013, then having caved to my better half, we bought a Fiat based Westfalia Columbus 600D in 2016. Now after 6 amazing years we are considering returning to an Ocean or Coast spec Cali.

Am I mad, or is this just a sensible return to where I should never have left?

Thanks

James

View attachment 91360
I spend almost every day deliberating a bigger/van conversion. My wife is happy with the Cali. I did a self build during Lockdown Part 1. A 6, Citroen relay. Sold it. But each time I drive the Cali, I love it. Is is superb for days out, shopping, general driving although we have another can and motorbike. I'm not sure if I bought a bigger van I could actually bear watching this one (the Cali) being driven away.

I spend almost every day deliberating a bigger/van conversion. My wife is happy with the Cali. I did a self build during Lockdown Part 1. A 6, Citroen relay. Sold it. But each time I drive the Cali, I love it. Is is superb for days out, shopping, general driving although we have another can and motorbike. I'm not sure if I bought a bigger van I could actually bear watching this one (the Cali) being driven away.
Have you seen the two jokers I posted up for sale as I know you liked my old one

Have you seen the two jokers I posted up for sale as I know you liked my old one
Where are they? I went to Calis for sale - nothing there.

We sold our Cali in August 2021 to buy a 540 Westfalia for all the comforts you’ve described. If it’s delivered by the end of this year I’d be very surprised, chances are it’ll arrive next year although who knows when. I’m sure you’ll have no problem selling your Columbus.

Where are they? I went to Calis for sale - nothing there.
Campersales website, but I put a couple of pics on in view from my van. Also YouTube.
The bamboo is stunning, I would of had that if I hadn’t ordered.

Campersales website, but I put a couple of pics on in view from my van. Also YouTube.
The bamboo is stunning, I would of had that if I hadn’t ordered.
Bamboo green one looks really nice, shame it’s a manual gearbox. They list it as a 2 berth but assume that’s an error? Or does the rear seat not convert on some?
I also like the commercial look of the white one with black bumper and steel wheels.

Bamboo green one looks really nice, shame it’s a manual gearbox. They list it as a 2 berth but assume that’s an error? Or does the rear seat not convert on some?
I also like the commercial look of the white one with black bumper and steel wheels.
Bamboo one is stunning both 204 no down stairs bed on it, I use prefer manual and miss the gear breaking going down steep mountain roads in the snow.
Dsg has one me over thought as it is bliss.
The while one would look great done off road style with graphics for a splash of colour.

Back