Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated Mirrors

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Mine appear not to be working and so I wanted to check the fuse as a start point, can't seem to find a fuse map in the handbook, does anyone know if its under the bonnet or in the dash fuse box and ideally a number please?

Thanks

We all know there's no fuse diagram in the manual.
There is one in the downloadsection , but so they say it is very diffrent on building year , i even heard from a VW mecanic fuse locations change on verhicles put together by diffrent factory workers.
Think the heated mirrors only work ignition on and you need to select it using the knob on the door...
I should say the fuses are behind the botlle holder under the gearstick

Been taking a look at the diagram of a early t5 .
Seems the heating is not seperate .
I only see the fuse for the electic mirror so could one only for the operation and heating as it appears to be a 25amp witch is high if it is just for adjusting the mirror.
Behind the botlle holder the bottem row the 6th starting from left.

Does the electric mirror itself works or only the heating that fails?

Strange as I have folding and mirror movement but just no heating.... 2012 model btw

I use a very wide piece of perspex and gently lever the glass out from the bottom. You can make the plastic holder a bit more giving if you use a hairdryer down the side to warm up the holder on the back of the glass. here is a pic of me doing it to the Touareg.
IMG_0604.jpg

That work on a T5 too Loz? I need to replace my mirror shrouds and it would be easier without the glass in.

That work on a T5 too Loz? I need to replace my mirror shrouds and it would be easier without the glass in.
I'm pretty sure its the same round mounting ring on all VWs.

found a pic here
volkswagen-transporter-t5-incl-caravelle-03-to-4-10-rh-drivers-offside-wing-mirror-glass-heated-aspherical-small-rh_5123324.jpg

There is one in the downloadsection , but so they say it is very diffrent on building year , i even heard from a VW mecanic fuse locations change on verhicles put together by diffrent factory workers.
Think the heated mirrors only work ignition on and you need to select it using the knob on the door...
I should say the fuses are behind the botlle holder under the gearstick
Only fuse diagram in the downloads section is for the Cali specifics, anyone any ideas of at least where to try and if the fuse is independent to the folding and adjustment?

Thanks

Obviously we don't HC, otherwise Lost Boy wouldn't have asked the question!!!

We do after our first issue where we want to know which fuse is which, so a better statement would be 'Everyone who has had an electrical issue has found out that .....'

Also be careful saying the fuse is behind the cup holder bottom row etc. There is a big difference between the location of fuses between the Beach and SE/Ocean. Lost Boy has an SE but anyone with a Beach reading this if they have searched may find that it's not where you say it is.

I'd always head people over to the VIP section and the downloads. Both fuse maps are in there.

Obviously we don't HC, otherwise Lost Boy wouldn't have asked the question!!!

We do after our first issue where we want to know which fuse is which, so a better statement would be 'Everyone who has had an electrical issue has found out that .....'

Also be careful saying the fuse is behind the cup holder bottom row etc. There is a big difference between the location of fuses between the Beach and SE/Ocean. Lost Boy has an SE but anyone with a Beach reading this if they have searched may find that it's not where you say it is.

I'd always head people over to the VIP section and the downloads. Both fuse maps are in there.

As the OP got a SE i assume Beach owners do understand the diffrence....
As i stated in my post , the fuse layout can change even between the same models...
Don't quite get your point.

OK, found the same data as hotel california but it seems mine must be different as it has a 5A in that slot not a 15A!! So couple of options

1. I have the VCDS software, anyone know if you can diagnose a fault like this with that?
  2. If the elements have gone in both mirrors, does that mean new glass or is the heating element something separate?
Thanks

@Lost Boy , did the heating ever worked ? Does the heated mirror symbol is below the knob in the door?
Could be yours don't have heated mirrors...? Just guessing.

No I definitely have heated mirrors, its an SE and I have the symbol on the switch. Not sure if they have ever worked as only used them for the first time the other day

As i mentiond before , fuse layouts could be diffrent depending year , month ,...
Think you need to test things by pulling fuses..

Have checked all fuses 15A and above, beginning to think its not a fuse issue! thought about looking at control knob assume just use a screwdriver to prise switch from door trim?

Cursed with the same issue on my 08 reg SE!

How is the glass attached to the mounting ring anyway? Would be useful to know ... I have the older less streamlined mirrors.
i.e. is the mounting ring attached to the glass (& how) & the back of the mounting ring attached to the wiring and adjustment mechanism (& again), how?

The “ring” has 2 parts, one is glued to the glass the other mounts onto the adjustment gimbal and the 2 parts clip together.
You prise up the bottom of the glass applying even pressure to the whole of the glass, if you can get all your fingers under the glass good, otherwise use a wide piece of perspex or similar.
Do it on a hot day or use a heat gun or hair drier directed behind the glass to warm the clips.