Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heated windscreen replacement issue

Jay586

Jay586

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I have a T6 Transporter, Highline spec, so heated windscreen.

It was chipped & cracked pretty badly a couple of weeks ago. I'm not happy driving it as the cracks are up towards the driver's eyeliner & it is a definite MOT fail.

Windscreen replacement was arranged the same day. However, there are no suitable windscreen replacements available in the UK. Company had to source one from VW but it's coming from Germany, (by feckin carrier pigeon) and it's not due in for another 2 weeks. Even then, I don't know how long until fitting.

I'm pretty fed up now; this is my only vehicle. No courtesy vehicle as it's not a warranty issue...

Having experienced some poor after market replacement screens I'd be happy enough to wait in this weather.
OK the delay is not desirable but I'm pretty glad if there isn't a pattern part.

Point taken but 5 weeks + for a consumable part?

I wouldn't mind if I had a 2nd car...just fed up .

Thanks. Very helpful indeed.

I think 5+ weeks to deliver one is rubbish. There's a difference between running a lean supply chain & not being able to service clients. It's not good.

I’ve just been in dialogue with Autoglass insisting on an OEM replacement screen after my heated screen was damaged by a stone chip a week ago and was told it could take 4 weeks. I’m waiting to hear from them if my insurer will authorise OEM and if they might require a contribution above w/s excess. I will fight any such request for additional contribution as a fundamental principle of Insurance is ‘to place insured in same position as they were prior to loss’. An aftermarket screen that will not work with window blinds does not achieve this.

Do you have the auto wiper/dipping mirror/headlights option?
If so then this further complicates the supply. The plastic surround that holds the sensor actually comes as part of the screen. We had to wait about a week for Autowindscreens to source a new one. Stupid idea as it would make a lot more sense to just fix the surround back onto a new screen.

It's got the auto wipers.

I will be talking to VWCS again, so if anyone else is in a similar position, shout.

Back