Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater switching off after lots of white smoke coming from under the van

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When the cabin heater is switched on, large amount of white smoke surrounds the whole van. The heater then switches off. also when turning the ignition on in p the van a yellow curly wire logo appears on the dashboard. Any idea what might be happening ?

So just strap in and wait for lit off

curly wire is engine glow plug light. should go out when you start the engine
if van has been stood along time you may have lots of water inside it (the heater). put it on hook up so the heater runs at full voltage. this gives a higher motor speed and better combustion. don't worry too much about smoke. if all is normal it should burn clean after a few minutes.
smoke is good because it means the heater is attempting to fire so it's getting fuel and the glow pin is operating

I had 2 neighbours and one DPD delivery driver rush to my door, worried the van was on fire !

When the cabin heater is switched on, large amount of white smoke surrounds the whole van. The heater then switches off. also when turning the ignition on in p the van a yellow curly wire logo appears on the dashboard. Any idea what might be happening ?
Not sure about the smoke screen, but the curly wire, i would say is the glow plug light. When its cold the glow plugs pre-heat before the engine turns over to facilitate ignition.

So wonder why it’s switching it’s self off ?

Drove 200 miles in it yesterday, so it’s not been standing around, and was working before the drive

Drove 200 miles in it yesterday, so it’s not been standing around, and was working before the drive
i meant the heater. if it's not been used it may be full of condensation. especially in the exhaust pipe

The smoke is not unusual, used mine the other morning for the first time in ages & actually went out to check the van wasn't on fire , it had disappeared in a cloud of smoke & I could only just make out where the van was from my office window- about 20 ft away. Soon cleared & was fine next time I started it up.

@icic , you mention two issues
a) white smoke - as others have said, this is OK
b) heater switching off - I would either start the van, or plug in the mains and then switch on the heater. If it stays on then, may point to some issue with your leisure battery.

are you able to try b) and update us please?

Thank you so much for the advice, started the engine and now it’s working ok

This hapoened on our old motorhome and turned out to be a failing battery that could supply enough amps. Change battery worked a treat.

OK I will get the battery checked, do VW do that ? It’s going for something else to fixed on the warrenty, is the battery covered ?

As of yet I do not have my van so cannot answer your question, bit someone on here have the answer.

OK I will get the battery checked, do VW do that ? It’s going for something else to fixed on the warrenty, is the battery covered ?

Your's is a new van so yes, the battery will be covered. VW will ask you if you've done everything to keep it maintained, say yes ... and that includes driving the vehicle and also connecting to the mains once a month. You can get the battery tested from an independent as well for peace of mind and data to show to your dealer in case they say something different. From the sounds of it, it seems that the battery is knackered. Should not be happening in a new van.

Is this happening after you have been running
the van? Ive never had any white smoke whilst using
the heater although i had it through some DPF problems
in the past.

Can't see what the smoke has to do with a battery.

he says its ok now when he ran the engine. so battery or low voltage issue,hence the cutting out. the smoke can be caused by the combustion fan not running quick enough to get a good airflow and a good burn in the chamber. the flame sensor doesn't see a bright enough burn and shuts it down. hence the smoke.

Back