Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heath Robinson Folding Clothes Line and Adjustable Hooks

@Nigel Whitwood , the external clothes line is interesting. Will help if you can post a link to the items that you used please. :thumb
The main component is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WSC9S43/?tag=eliteelect-21

I used steel wire cored line and painted the outer surface of the brackets black. Note that the brackets are not designed to take a lateral load so water needs to be spun/wrung out. Fastened to rail with M6 Nuts, Bolts and Washers, (2 sets per bracket).

I tried more sturdy fixed brackets that could take more weight but found that the rail would start to flex long before they did, (ie the folding brackets are more convenient and act as a deterrent to overloading the lines whilst still being strong enough for my needs).

Do the washing line brackets lock in the closed position?

Do the washing line brackets lock in the closed position?
No. This is why they are mounted so that the airflow when driving will keep them closed. They could be clipped into position I suppose.

No. This is why they are mounted so that the airflow when driving will keep them closed. They could be clipped into position I suppose.
Thanks for the response.
great bit of lateral thinking :thumb

what currently happens if you break hard ? Do the brackets fly outwards ?

There's enough resistance to prevent that from happening, (although this hasn't been exhaustively tested). I will probably tie the back one in place to make sure though.

Back