Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding table rattle...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Had a rattle that was driving me slightly insane. Checked and re-packed the cupboards about four times - no joy (they are lined with a non-slip matting I bought).

FINALLY realised it was the folding table rattling against the lower "stopper" it rests on when it's tucked away. Have covered it in blu-tak which has cured it but it's a bit Heath Robinson. Any hints on a slightly better solution?! The rattle stops if the table is slightly forward but then the rear cupboard is blocked!

The table is a bit sensitive when it's being out away... Make sure it's pushed in slightly at the bottom before locking it in place. This ensures it's engaged properly.

Also, there's usually a felt pad on the folding leg which stops the rattle which can be peeled off by accident, particularly if you try to slide the table in and out with the seat ever so slightly forward. (it catches on the lip of the cupboard door)

Have a check to see if it's there. (if not you may see the glue residue)

If not, circular felt pads from B&Q do the trick.

M

Hi, my pre-facelift and my curent vehicle both have table rattle - the latter being reduced. Tuck a tea towel or a plastic door wedge between seat and table. Cheap fix !!

Bob

I have the same rattle. I found that the bottom of the leg doesn't always stay located in the clip which is supposed to hold it especially if you live in an area where the road surface is poor. I have found that a simple webbing strap with velcro at either end wrapped around both table and leg (pulling leg back in to its clip) stops the rattle completely. The strap is easily removed when you pull the table out and doesn't look too unsightly. Ewan

I had a rattle in the folding table due to the leg having been knocked (rivets are now a little loose) and therefore rattling longitudinally, however carefully and correctly it was stowed. I'd stuck felt pads everywhere they would go and wedged all manner of things in all manner of places, only for the dreaded rattle to return. Finally I tried a modified version of @ewanshinton's solution and wrapped a thin cloth around the table leg itself before stowing.

Blissful silence. For now, at least. Posting this in case it's of use to anyone else.

I had a rattle in the folding table due to the leg having been knocked (rivets are now a little loose) and therefore rattling longitudinally, however carefully and correctly it was stowed. I'd stuck felt pads everywhere they would go and wedged all manner of things in all manner of places, only for the dreaded rattle to return. Finally I tried a modified version of @ewanshinton's solution and wrapped a thin cloth around the table leg itself before stowing.

Blissful silence. For now, at least. Posting this in case it's of use to anyone else.
Their rattles are probably history by now.

The clip that hold the leg on my table is broken. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement clip? Really all so the leg does not swing down and hit you as I lift the table up to extend the leg. Thanks Jennie

Resurrecting an old thread....

My sliding table has developed a very loud rattle. It is not caused by the table not being clipped in properly, but the grey metal part (the strip where the table hinges and which slides along the rail) rattling up and down every time I drive over a faintly uneven surface (quite often here!!).

The metal part which slides along the rail seems to have a lot of play in it (waggles more than 5mm) - I can't remember whether it has always had that much play, or whether it has gradually got worse over time; it has only made that rattling noise in the last few months. I have fixed it temporarily by wedging a tea towel between the seat and the folded table so there is no play. I can't see any missing or damaged parts (I know the leg is vulnerable). Are there any foam or rubber damping pads which should be in place? (The clip which the table engages into seems intact)

I guess this means a trip to the dealer (I have about 6 weeks of warranty left)

There are allen bolts on the underside of that metal strip. Could be worth checking if they have come loose. Also some rubber O rings where that it rolls in the channel. Worth checking they are still in tact.
Only way I have stopped mine rattling is with something wedged behind the table.

Are you sure the large pin that’s part of the leg hinge is locating into the bracket hidden down the side of the bench seat?

Resurrecting an old thread....

My sliding table has developed a very loud rattle. It is not caused by the table not being clipped in properly, but the grey metal part (the strip where the table hinges and which slides along the rail) rattling up and down every time I drive over a faintly uneven surface (quite often here!!).

The metal part which slides along the rail seems to have a lot of play in it (waggles more than 5mm) - I can't remember whether it has always had that much play, or whether it has gradually got worse over time; it has only made that rattling noise in the last few months. I have fixed it temporarily by wedging a tea towel between the seat and the folded table so there is no play. I can't see any missing or damaged parts (I know the leg is vulnerable). Are there any foam or rubber damping pads which should be in place? (The clip which the table engages into seems intact)

I guess this means a trip to the dealer (I have about 6 weeks of warranty left)
As has been mentioned, pull the table into position and look up under the sliding hinge plate and check the adjustment screws.

Not near the van at the moment but I remember tightening those allen bolts helped a lot with a similar rattle. However tightening them too much produced another rattle! Firm but not too firm worked for me.

Not near the van at the moment but I remember tightening those allen bolts helped a lot with a similar rattle. However tightening them too much produced another rattle! Firm but not too firm worked for me.

Thanks for that tip. I’ve tightened the bolts a bit; they didn’t feel loose though and I don’t think it’s made any difference to the amount of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The felt at the top of the table leg can be compressed through time resulting in a rattle. Easily solved by adding a felt strip or pad. The rattle disappears

Back