Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating switching off - issue with VW Customer-Specific Functional Control Unit

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Dear all,

I would like to ask all Grand California (600 or 680) in Ireland if they could get back to me with their experience of the Truma heating switching off.

As far as I know this is a well known issue with many of the Grand Californias, doesn't matter if it is gas or diesel heater, if it is on EHU or on battery, if it is heating or warm water (please see Caliboard.de).

During the last cold spell I kept the heating on 10 degrees to insure that inside of the camper it is not to damp and that the frost control would not drain the water (I use the camper at least every 2nd day).

Of course the heating switched off regardless of the circumstances. This was not a big issue, because we were at home, but it is not acceptable if this happens when one is out and about.

I contacted my VW dealer at the end of November, but haven't heard back from them yet. Today I did send a reminder email.

I would like that the my VW dealer, with the ok of VW Ireland, will install the Truma iNet Box. When the Truma Control Unit is disconnected from the VW Camper Unit the issue is gone and with the Truma app it is possible to change the temperature comfortably.

If my VW dealer is not able / willing to help me (which to some degree I can understand, because without the permission of VW Ireland they won't change anything at the camper) I plan the following:
  1. Open an official complaint about the issue with Volkswagen Ireland
  2. Open an official complaint about the issue with Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge, Hannover
  3. Contact SIMI Ireland to help to negotiate between Volkswagen and me
I know there are many threads about this, but for the argument sake (with VW Volkswagen) I think it has more impact if there is information about Irish Grand Californias.

The more users of the Grand California have the same issue, the more it is likely that Volkswagen Ireland might want to do something for us.

Regards,
Eberhard

I have this happen to me on the drive but I am not in ireland? Does it happen regularly? What if its the middle of the bight, it dumps water and freezes the occupants! Almost grounds for not fit for purpose!
I will disconnect the unit from the truma control.

Hello @Chainline,

I'm also frustrated about this issue and I agree it is not a small issue.

VW Ireland won't entertain any reports or complains. I won't blame the VW dealer, because they can only undertake work which is ok by VW Ireland.

Fakt is that an unknown amount of Grand California's suffer from the issue that the Truma heating unperioticaly switch off. Unfortunately if this happens there are no entries in any logs of the camper which means from the VW dealer point of view, everything is ok.

Depending on the weather of course during autumn, winter and spring all the freshwater in the Grand California can be dumped, leaves the occupants without water the next day, not even for a cup of tea!

What the situation with the irish Grand Californias is, I don't know, because nobody came back to me about this issue. Maybe I am the only one. Without more detailed in formation I can't put more pressure on VW Ireland to pay at least for the workaround.

The only known workaround for this problem is to disconnect the VW Camper Unit from the Truma Control Unit. But this means that all further heating related changes have to be done on the Truma Control Unit under the back seat - not ideal on a long term.

I caved in and ordered the Truma iNet Box. But there might be another issue on the horizon. I believe that the Truma iNet Box comes end of live. Many dealers in Europe won't have the Truma iNet Box on stock and lead time could be into the months. The replacement, Truma iNet X Panel might be even better, but it seems to me it is far more difficult to install.

At the moment I wait for some cables to get the Truma iNet Box installed. If everything arraived that I need I will do the installation myself and will post what I have done (with pictures) here in the forum.

Every so slightly frustrated Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello,

Just a short update about the heating issue.

Last bank holiday weekend we went to Connemara (which is really beautiful). We were lucky with the weather and were able to do some nice walks. But during the night the temperature came down to about 3 degrees. Before we went to bed I put the heating on 13 degree to avoid getting it to cold in the camper (our dog sleeps where the table normally is).

Making a long story short of course the heating switched off at some stage during the night and because of this it was about 6 degree in the camper at 8 am. :headbang

My discussion with VW Ireland and the VW dealer didn't go well. So 4x weeks ago I looked for the Truma iNet Box. It concerned me that there were only a few shops who confirmed that they had the part on stock (regardless of the price at the moment). Many had a very long lead time. As far as I know the Truma stopped producing this box, which would explain the low availability.

So I placed an order from a german shop for a good price. That they didn't send to Ireland was annoying, but I found away around this.

Now my goal was to install the Truma iNet Box without damaging and changing any original cable of the Grand California. To achieve this I got the following cable:

CP Plus 12V connection cable
1676115443145.png
From a different company this cable:

JST PH 2.0 2-pin Male to XH Molex 51005

1676115471461.png
I disconnected the CP 12V Truma cable from the Truma Control Unit (as well as the Truma data cable and the VW data cable). Connected the JST PH 2.0 male to the VW CP 12V Truma cable. On the other side I connected the cable to a 3-way Wago connector. From this connector I took the 12 V using the original Truma spare part as mentioned above and connected the Truma iNet Box power.

I had a wee bit of a hick up with the Truma data cable, because the original wasn't long enough. To get more cable I would have to "untangle" the original cable from VW, which I didn't want to do. I don't know from where, but I had a spare data cable which replaced the short original cable.

Now the Truma iNet Box is installed and the heating can be controlled with the Truma app on the phone (Bluetooth and SIM is working). I expect that the VW heating issue is sorted now. :)

Beside the 2 hours installation time I spend almost EUR 400.00 for the box and parts. Money that I shouldn't have needed to be spend if Volkswagen would look after their customer properly.

Warm Grand California,
Eberhard

This is excellent information. I hope it solves it for you. Certainly worth considerarion.

Dear All,
I am new on the forum so I welcome everybody. I have got GC 600 since 2 years and I have same problem. In raality two common issues: Truma is swiching off without any reason and water pump is swithing on without any reason. Did anybody solved those problems via VW? I can not touch anything because of warranty period. Everytime I inform VW about those issues they only press reset button on Truma, either soft or hard one and giving me my car back. Did anybody win this battle?

Best regards

Hello,

Just a short update about the heating issue.

Last bank holiday weekend we went to Connemara (which is really beautiful). We were lucky with the weather and were able to do some nice walks. But during the night the temperature came down to about 3 degrees. Before we went to bed I put the heating on 13 degree to avoid getting it to cold in the camper (our dog sleeps where the table normally is).

Making a long story short of course the heating switched off at some stage during the night and because of this it was about 6 degree in the camper at 8 am. :headbang

My discussion with VW Ireland and the VW dealer didn't go well. So 4x weeks ago I looked for the Truma iNet Box. It concerned me that there were only a few shops who confirmed that they had the part on stock (regardless of the price at the moment). Many had a very long lead time. As far as I know the Truma stopped producing this box, which would explain the low availability.

So I placed an order from a german shop for a good price. That they didn't send to Ireland was annoying, but I found away around this.

Now my goal was to install the Truma iNet Box without damaging and changing any original cable of the Grand California. To achieve this I got the following cable:

CP Plus 12V connection cable
View attachment 104885
From a different company this cable:

JST PH 2.0 2-pin Male to XH Molex 51005

View attachment 104886
I disconnected the CP 12V Truma cable from the Truma Control Unit (as well as the Truma data cable and the VW data cable). Connected the JST PH 2.0 male to the VW CP 12V Truma cable. On the other side I connected the cable to a 3-way Wago connector. From this connector I took the 12 V using the original Truma spare part as mentioned above and connected the Truma iNet Box power.

I had a wee bit of a hick up with the Truma data cable, because the original wasn't long enough. To get more cable I would have to "untangle" the original cable from VW, which I didn't want to do. I don't know from where, but I had a spare data cable which replaced the short original cable.

Now the Truma iNet Box is installed and the heating can be controlled with the Truma app on the phone (Bluetooth and SIM is working). I expect that the VW heating issue is sorted now. :)

Beside the 2 hours installation time I spend almost EUR 400.00 for the box and parts. Money that I shouldn't have needed to be spend if Volkswagen would look after their customer properly.

Warm Grand California,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard,
Amazing work!! do you have any pictures of the installation?

Hello OwenIg19894654654,

Beside the pictures above I couldn't find any additional ones. To get a full overview of the installation I have to remove the seat, which I might not find the time at the moment.

Later I will try to take a picture of the iNet Box from the little hatch, maybe it helps a bit to visualize the installation.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello OwenIg19894654654,

Beside the pictures above I couldn't find any additional ones. To get a full overview of the installation I have to remove the seat, which I might not find the time at the moment.

Later I will try to take a picture of the iNet Box from the little hatch, maybe it helps a bit to visualize the installation.

Regards,
Eberhard
Thank you :) that would be amazing

Hello @OwenIg19894654654,

I just took a picture of the Truma iNet Box.

1694706965863.png

It is not clear to see how I managed the cable connections. To see more details I have to take off the back seat cover and untie the iNet Box. Unfortunately I won't have time for this at the moment.

On the 28/09/2023 I will be in Hamburg to get Lithium battery and inverter installed (Car Electric). For this they have to take off the back seat cover. If I am around at the time I will try to take a picture.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello @OwenIg19894654654,

I just took a picture of the Truma iNet Box.

View attachment 114377

It is not clear to see how I managed the cable connections. To see more details I have to take off the back seat cover and untie the iNet Box. Unfortunately I won't have time for this at the moment.

On the 28/09/2023 I will be in Hamburg to get Lithium battery and inverter installed (Car Electric). For this they have to take off the back seat cover. If I am around at the time I will try to take a picture.

Regards,
Eberhard
Brilliant, let me know how the visit to Car Electric goes! I am also interested in the 150Ah system with inverter.

Back