Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heavy clunking sound when driving over bumps/potholes. Cali Ocean (2018).

normg

normg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone. Help and advice needed please. When driving my California and strike a bump or pot hole there is a heavy clunking sound which appears to be coming from high up on the offside. Is this likely to be coming from the pop-up roof mechanism, or from another source in that area. Cursory checks have not revealed anything loose etc etc. Has anyone experienced a similar clunking sound?. Or can anyone suggest a possible source for the issue or how to resolve it?.

Many thanks. . Norman.

My best guess - check the awning mounting brackets, then check if its the awning legs moving inside the case, just carefully open the awning a foot & see if the legs are still clipped in place.

Just thinking about it, there are little rubber buffers on the folding arms for the roof, if they are missing the arms could knock together.

Hi Andy. Have checked both the awning mounting brackets and the awning legs. All appear to be secure. Have also ensured that the awning has been closed in tightly. N. Have also checked the rubber buffers and they are in situ. Are there more than two of these?. <

Unless you are sure it’s coming from above, I would suggest the suspension strut top bearing…. The “clunk“ coming from the bottom of A pillar area.

Unless you are sure it’s coming from above, I would suggest the suspension strut top bearing…. The “clunk“ coming from the bottom of A pillar area.
The sound seems to be coming from behind when sitting in the drivers seat. But sounds can be deceiving. The vehicle had an 'Inspection ' carried out last week by a VW dealer. They found a broken os rear spring which was replaced. The clunking remained after this repair, which was disappointing. I'd imagine though that if was a problem with a strut they would have identified it!!!.

The sound seems to be coming from behind when sitting in the drivers seat. But sounds can be deceiving. The vehicle had an 'Inspection ' carried out last week by a VW dealer. They found a broken os rear spring which was replaced. The clunking remained after this repair, which was disappointing. I'd imagine though that if was a problem with a strut they would have identified it!!!.
I had a similar noise that drive me nuts for weeks, adjusted the sliding door numerous times but to no avail. It turned out be the roof scissor mechanism. On one or more of the pivots there is a cheap bit of rubber, looks like a small section of hosepipe. This was missing on one side allowing one of the arms to ‘knock’ on the pivot when the roof closed. Simply cut a bit of hose and replaced it. Noise gone. I hope this is the cure for your noise issue. Definitely worth checking.

I've seen those rubber buffers. There seems to be one on the forward end pivot of the lower part of the rear scissors. Should there be any more of these elsewhere on the mechanism?.

Back