Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello - and my big question

P

pablobattu

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello everybody.
I am seriously thinking about buying a new Cali. My budget is about 50K. I have a basic question that I hope you might be able to shed some light on. The reason for buying is that my wife and I are now empty nesters. We have 4 children - one of whom - is severely autistic. He has just entered a care home - and we want to use the Cali for trips involving the three of us - and for other trips with just my wife and myself. Our son loves driving along in a car - and we think that these types of holidays will be ideal. The first question is about sleeping arrangements. How will we best accommodate the three of us bearing in mind that i am 6ft 5 and nearly twenty stones. My wife is a demure 5ft 1 and am not allowed to divulge her weight (but its not much) - and our son in a hefty 17 stone. What is the weight limit for the top bed? Am I too big/heavy to sleep up there? Is it relatively easy (for my son or wife) to climb up there. Is the downstairs bed big enough for a hippo and a duck?
My son loves to play on the internet with his ipad - so we will have to equip ourselves with wifi antennas etc - which I'm sure is do-able. Apart from that dooes anyone have any othger suggestions? Is there generally a long waiting list for new Calis - and would you advise new over recent second hand?
Sorry for all the questions. I look forward to many miles of happy camping.

Hello, we are both of "larger" size and sleep down stairs -which works for us. I use EE pay as you go for on line use or BT open for net conections. I am sure a Cali would for your family needs , my view is a Cali is good for ones well being. sure you will not look back.

My partner and I sleep upstairs sometimes, and we are over 20 stone together, so upstairs should be fine for your son, if he is happy to climb up on the front seats.
And you can shut the hatch, which gives you some semblance of privacy.
And I use my iPhone as a wifi hub, to give wifi to the iPad, .....or as meaoncoast, the BT openzone, which are everywhere. Lots of French campsites have free wifi that seems to trace for a long way.

I would t worry about the weight limit. Myself and 3 of my good friends have had weekends away in the van. All of U.S. servicemen that have or still play rugby and tipping over the 15-16 stone mark two of which have used the bed upstairs with no concerns at all.

Hi and welcome , we are just two but you do hear many with childeren say the kids in the upper bed as they go to bed earlier and the parents can enjoy a cup thee below and converting the seat in a bed later in the evening.

As for traveling with people or childeren who are disable or like in your case autistic , i think i must be a great feeling sitting in that backseat enjoying the almost 360° view while driving.
I am sure you guys have lots of fun on future trips in your soon to buy Cali:thumb

I'm 6ft 5 & 17 stone, my wife is much smaller!
We have both slept up top in our Calli many times without any problems, though we do prefer the downstairs bed on our 2 seater Beach as it is much wider.

I would definately recommend hiring one first. That way you'll find out for sure if it works for you.

A few hires first is definitely a good idea.
It'll flush out whether buying one is a goer or not.
On the other hand, we had ours a couple of years before we settled on to how to use it best.

Good luck :thumb

Pablo

We order a new T6. Checked out the downstairs bed on a T5 and felt like sardines.So.... My wife joined "Lighter Life" a gruelling 600 calorie a day diet and I cheated and went on "Diet Chef" with a luxurious 1200 calories a day. Started on 1st September. Walked 5 miles a day plus the diet. We have both now lost 3 stone each (20kg in decimal). I am now sure we will be able to fit in the new Cali when it arrives plus "she" will get diamond earrings and a Basque for Christmas and I am far more active get a Cali and improve your life !!

Phil

Thanks very much folks for the reassurance on the weight issue - and yes a few hires is definately on the agenda. Thanks again - I'll let you know how we get on. And Phil - have a great Christmas ;)

Pablo

Pablo, we have a 2 seated Beach and love the space in the downstairs bed. Neither of us are that big but when we tried an SE it was very cramped. So I'd think seriously about the Beach and the wider bed downstairs.

Also although we've never travelled at all on the rear seats they don't look that comfortable. It's just a basic bench seat with no supports for the sides or thighs like you might expect in a car. I haven't seen them but wonder if the single additional seats you can get as an option might be more comfortable for longer journeys.

Anyone any experience with this?