Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Swansea - 1997 T4 California Coach TDI

S

simonbevan

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello there!
We have recently purchased a 1997 California coach 2.5tdi. It’s already in regular use with 4 nights away last week but plenty of jobs to do to get it ready for our summer trip doing the 1600 mile Wild Atlantic away.

I’ll search through and post new threads if needed, but this is the current list I’m working through -
  • Timing belt and water pump - done
  • Alloy wheel upgrade - done
  • Rear suspension upgrade and mild ride height reduction (Falkner springs and Sachs HD shocks ordered)
  • Electrical fault (strong burning smell and the mains hook up tripped this week)
  • The bench seat/bed is very stiff to slide in the rails.
  • Breaks feel underpowered - possibly a servo problem
  • ECU remap - being an early tdi I believe the ecu memory chips need replacing to allow for a remap.
  • Steering wheel upgrade
  • Aerial for the stereo
  • Lanoguard treatment
  • Minor rust repair over the winter

IMG_7307.jpeg

Hello there!
We have recently purchased a 1997 California coach 2.5tdi. It’s already in regular use with 4 nights away last week but plenty of jobs to do to get it ready for our summer trip doing the 1600 mile Wild Atlantic away.

I’ll search through and post new threads if needed, but this is the current list I’m working through -
  • Timing belt and water pump - done
  • Alloy wheel upgrade - done
  • Rear suspension upgrade and mild ride height reduction (Falkner springs and Sachs HD shocks ordered)
  • Electrical fault (strong burning smell and the mains hook up tripped this week)
  • The bench seat/bed is very stiff to slide in the rails.
  • Breaks feel underpowered - possibly a servo problem
  • ECU remap - being an early tdi I believe the ecu memory chips need replacing to allow for a remap.
  • Steering wheel upgrade
  • Aerial for the stereo
  • Lanoguard treatment
  • Minor rust repair over the winter

View attachment 123983
Very cool T4 Westfalia and even though we have sold ours, I still have a soft spot for it. We also blackened the side window and placed a sticker on it.
Happy travels!
1717008541531.jpeg

If you ask on the westfalia Facebook page, there is lots of experience of changing the charger for a 'falren'.... Or something like that. They do often burn out and this one keeps the overhead display working.

Back