Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello, My California copy build is underway!!

O

oxfordt5

VIP Member
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I have a small company based in witney in Oxfordshire carrying out Caravelle and kombi conversions to T5 panel vans.
I also sell seats/interiors etc.
I have recently bought a T5 facelift 140 swb panel van in Olympian blue for myself and my daughter and will be slowly carrying out a full camper conversion using as many genuine California parts as I can muster!
I have already installed windows all round using genuine vw sliders and rear fixed, tailgate is already glazed.
I have also installed the caravelle/california floor rail system and floor and bought a Cali bed, rear bed extension and side extension from a brand new California Beach.
The full Cali kitchen has been bought also, complete with water tanks,fridge, hob/sink etc and I have cut the wardrobe unit off the end and will modify all so they fit to the offside, (easier said than done!)
I have just picked up another set of kitchen units (no appliances) to use as a spare, as well as some interior panels, tailgate panel with chairs, sliding door panel with table, etc .
Many of the parts will need to be modified, but all is doable.
Looking forward to posting pics of my build, recieving any help/comments from you guys/gals and also helping any cali owners/forum members with advice if I am able.
Cheers
Colin :hello

Hi Colin I have been following your build on the t5 forum. Interesting stuff :thumb
Looking good so far :thumb

Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum - sounds exciting - post some pics

I have spoke to you previously about additional seats for my beach :)

The only comment I would say is that Beach floor rail system has the rails for extra seats, though I appreciate this may not work with the Cali units.

If you could do something with a LHD multivan dash.... Now that would be interesting :)

James

Hi Colin

If you need a gander at a live Cali for reference, shout we are just down the road.

For these rest OxfordT5 is your man for anything note interior related! Seat and fixings guru.

Seb

Very interesting.

Have to get over there and take a look or post some pics on here?

Does it work out that cheaper than buying a Cali inc hrs of labour or is it done for the fun and that you can?

:thumb

Thanks for the replies.
Lots of work to do over the winter to get it ready for spring!
The Cali double seat/bed is handed (bizarrely) so needs a slight mod to make it fit the nearside. Also to make it easily removeable the rails have to be redrilled and set further back towards the rear of the van.
I'd like to take you up on the kind offer of a detailed look at your van if you don't mind, so I can take some pics etc. ?
Yes I'll post up some pics, is it the same process as the T5 forum? ie. can i paste pics in a post or just on the gallery??
Yes it will be significantly cheaper than a factory cali, I can also personalise it a bit more and its for the challenge also!!

welcome and your project sounds interesting and do keep us updated on the progress :thumb

Hello and welcome, I've got to say I'm really looking forward to following your build as I and I believe quite a few others on here started off looking to convert a t5 until we got our heads turned by the factory Cali.

Steve

Hi Colin

Your build does sound really interesting. Are you building a RHD Cali? Or a Cali/beach combo?

RHD Cali or beach would be interesting

James

The conversion will be a full california using a rdh uk spec panel van. ie sliding door on nearside units on offside. I won't be going for the electric cali roof though, a manual sca is fine for me!!

Aye up Colin,

Hope all is well with you.

You'll probably remember me as I bought a T5 Multiflex board off you about a year ago and picked it up in the Cali.

You need anything or a dig around give me a shout and I'll pop over... Only about 30 minutes away.

Rgds

mark

No updates to this post for a while, how goes the project? Would love to see how it's doing.

I can see that the thread has interest and some of you will be following the thread on the T5 forum but for those that haven't I can report that the project is still ongoing! I was out there last week while Colin (despite being ill) fitted my California seats (2 front swivel and 2 seater bed) into the shuttle I'm using for my "topless" but with extra door beach look alike!! and I've now got his 4 rail floor in mine and he's got Cali bits all over the place. Last I saw he was fitting the rear tailgate inner with the seats in and an SCA roof has been fitted.
If you're reading this Colin sorry for the intrusion and hope you're feeling better than when I last saw you,
Steve

PS - if anyone else is doing a shuttle to Beach conversion be aware that we discovered the storage/bed extension won't quite fit with the shuttle rear panels!

Beach is based on Mulivan Startline and not UK shuttle. Might be with reading up on these if you haven't. Mulivan Startline is a very specific type of multivan sold in mainland Europe.

James

Yep - I found that out when I was looking for carpets- There's not a huge difference now that I've got the 4 rail system as per the multivan - I'm not in a huge hurry so taking it slow and learning as I go! If I have to go to Germany for bits it won't worry me as I'm over there 3-4 times a year anyway!

Steve

Back