Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help Error Auxiliary heater

thomasamoht

thomasamoht

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi please help! We’re a family of 4 in a new cali in a field in Devon. The kids were cold so I tried the aux heater (which doesn’t seem to work properly, sometimes comes on on level 10 for a bit) now the camping screen is frozen just saying Error. I can’t get to anything to even put the roof down

I saw a thread about resetting the older controllers by holding the button for 5 seconds but that doesn’t seem to work on this

I saw a thread about resetting the older controllers by holding the button for 5 seconds but that doesn’t seem to work on this
Post 6 and 114

Spot on WelshGas. That’s solved the issue with the control panel so I can drop the roof and escape now. The heater doesn’t seem to work but hopeful that might sort itself after a drive or I’ll bat it back to the workshop before the cooler weather comes back. Cheers Forum, saved the day again

Spot on WelshGas. That’s solved the issue with the control panel so I can drop the roof and escape now. The heater doesn’t seem to work but hopeful that might sort itself after a drive or I’ll bat it back to the workshop before the cooler weather comes back. Cheers Forum, saved the day again
Hi Thomas, sounds like you might have exceeded the runtime in "Heat Immediately" mode. Have you tried using "Heat Continuously" mode after first checking that you have the options set to "Aux Heater", rather than "Ventilate" ? Heat Immediately times out after the time period that you set in the menu (Max 120 mins). "Heat Continuously" is your friend, assuming that you are not nursing a fault. :thumb Some have reported that a drive is required to reset the time limit, so you might have to do that to reset the limit. After that give "Heat Continuously" a go, ensuring that its not on "Ventilate". Hope you are warm again soon.

I’m not sure the ‘ventilate’ versus ‘air aux.heater’ impacts the ‘heat continuously’ function.

After changing the settings to ‘ventilate’, I activated the ventilation (coming through the dashboard vents) by selecting ‘heat now’. At the same time, I could also run the diesel heater through ‘heat continuously’ (and feel the warm air coming from the B-pillar vent).

From this, it seems ‘heat continuously’ always activates the heater, regardless of the settings. ‘Heat now’ on the other hand is dependent on the setting wether it heats or not…

Post 6 and 114

I'm amazed at how you can remember the post #
off the top of your head :)

So somethings not right, with the software I think, operating the aux heater. It can randomly cut out. It only works on heat immediately. Heat continuously seems to do nothing but blow cold air and often trips out the control panel so it won’t work at all. It only froze that once though. It’s back in the dealers to fix the bed on Wednesday so hopefully they can sort it there. It’s important to us as we travel with a 5 month old baby. I need to be able to leave it on a low setting all night. If I set it on 4 continuously it does nothing atm.

Hi Thomas, sounds like you might have exceeded the runtime in "Heat Immediately" mode. Have you tried using "Heat Continuously" mode after first checking that you have the options set to "Aux Heater", rather than "Ventilate" ? Heat Immediately times out after the time period that you set in the menu (Max 120 mins). "Heat Continuously" is your friend, assuming that you are not nursing a fault. :thumb Some have reported that a drive is required to reset the time limit, so you might have to do that to reset the limit. After that give "Heat Continuously" a go, ensuring that its not on "Ventilate". Hope you are warm again soon.
No i think it’s broken. Heat continuously doesn’t work at all

So somethings not right, with the software I think, operating the aux heater. It can randomly cut out. It only works on heat immediately. Heat continuously seems to do nothing but blow cold air and often trips out the control panel so it won’t work at all. It only froze that once though. It’s back in the dealers to fix the bed on Wednesday so hopefully they can sort it there. It’s important to us as we travel with a 5 month old baby. I need to be able to leave it on a low setting all night. If I set it on 4 continuously it does nothing atm.
What happens when you set it on level 10 in heat continuously?
The heater has an on/off way off working and doesn’t really modulate. It may just be too warm for the moment to kick-in at level 4.

Keep us in the loop with what the dealer has to say. But I'm hoping that it's just a case of trying some bigger numbers.

Hi right van went into dealer. Heater works fine on continuous at level 9 - 10 but never fires on level 4 say. They have acknowledged a problem and are going to strip the heater and check. I did think possibly it was too warm for the heater to kick in at low level. Does anyone know the temperature parameters for each setting? Saying that I woke up at 4 am on level 4 and it was pretty cold and I’ve read people saying 4 continuously keeps the van pretty toasty so we’ll see. I’ll let you know

Hi right van went into dealer. Heater works fine on continuous at level 9 - 10 but never fires on level 4 say. They have acknowledged a problem and are going to strip the heater and check. I did think possibly it was too warm for the heater to kick in at low level. Does anyone know the temperature parameters for each setting? Saying that I woke up at 4 am on level 4 and it was pretty cold and I’ve read people saying 4 continuously keeps the van pretty toasty so we’ll see. I’ll let you know
Hi Thomas, from what I have read on various threads, it sounds like there is a marked difference between the levels on a T6 & T6.1 so just a suggestion that you are comparing like for like. Not that I am an expert at all. Only done a few overnighters in our new Coast and didn't feel the need for it. Tried it (Just for testing purposes) on the lower settings and nothing, until I upped it to 6 when it jumped into life. Was immediately too hot and turned it off. So no real world test for us at the moment, as it wasn't cold enough for us to need it. I just assumed it was thermostat related and the ambient temperature wasn't cold enough. Hope they get you sorted soon.

Hi Thomas, from what I have read on various threads, it sounds like there is a marked difference between the levels on a T6 & T6.1 so just a suggestion that you are comparing like for like. Not that I am an expert at all. Only done a few overnighters in our new Coast and didn't feel the need for it. Tried it (Just for testing purposes) on the lower settings and nothing, until I upped it to 6 when it jumped into life. Was immediately too hot and turned it off. So no real world test for us at the moment, as it wasn't cold enough for us to need it. I just assumed it was thermostat related and the ambient temperature wasn't cold enough. Hope they get you sorted soon.
Could be still. Could be. I’m happy I can heat it at all if needed and sure I’ll get to the bottom of it. Love love love the van. The wife and kids are at the in laws so I’m having dinner in it in peace right now

BC0F044E-A977-4E1F-B29F-377832CB23C2.jpeg

Could be still. Could be. I’m happy I can heat it at all if needed and sure I’ll get to the bottom of it. Love love love the van. The wife and kids are at the in laws so I’m having dinner in it in peace right now

View attachment 83341
Stuart is correct forget the levels peeps set in the T6, as a T6.1 user the heater only cracks up at higher settings, on heat continuously we have ours set at 5 or 6 for nighttime, I hear it crack up generally once in the night. During day 19c wish when Mrs W feels a draft and getting chilly level 7 or 8 pacifies her :) 5 or 6 during the current temps in the day doesn't fire up.

We too have noticed a massive difference between the levels set in the T6 and T6.1 heater, with the 6.1 needing much higher numbers to kick in if the ambient temp is higher.

I must admit I do find the whole ventilate option a bit frustrating.

My understanding of how it works is that it is only connected to the 'heat immediately' option - and thus turns it from heat immediately to ventilate immediately instead. It also seems to have no functional change to the heat continuously function.

This is annoying, as I was hoping that I would be able to get the 6.1 to ventilate continuously overnight to help keep some airflow moving when ambient temps overnight do not require the heater to run. Helping to keep the van from feeling stuffy etc.

I presume I am right in thinking it can't do this? Also, does anyone know if 'ventilate now' runs off starter 12v battery or leisure batteries? I only ask as it uses the dash HVAC system...

We too have noticed a massive difference between the levels set in the T6 and T6.1 heater, with the 6.1 needing much higher numbers to kick in if the ambient temp is higher.

I must admit I do find the whole ventilate option a bit frustrating.

My understanding of how it works is that it is only connected to the 'heat immediately' option - and thus turns it from heat immediately to ventilate immediately instead. It also seems to have no functional change to the heat continuously function.

This is annoying, as I was hoping that I would be able to get the 6.1 to ventilate continuously overnight to help keep some airflow moving when ambient temps overnight do not require the heater to run. Helping to keep the van from feeling stuffy etc.

I presume I am right in thinking it can't do this? Also, does anyone know if 'ventilate now' runs off starter 12v battery or leisure batteries? I only ask as it uses the dash HVAC system...
That's my thinking, yes. Ventilate uses the dash fans and is limited to the same "heat immediately " max runtime parameters of 120mins to protect the starter battery.

That's my thinking, yes. Ventilate uses the dash fans and is limited to the same "heat immediately " max runtime parameters of 120mins to protect the starter battery.
I also found "ventilate" pretty ineffective to be honest. The noise it makes, suggests it should be providing more airflow than it does. And I think we'd find it too noisy to sleep with, even it was possible to run it for longer.

Last edited:
I also found "ventilate" pretty ineffective to be honest. The noise it makes, suggests it should be providing more airflow than it does. And I think we'd find it too noisy to sleep with, even it was possible to run it for longer.

I know that you can change the fan speed of ventilate mode on the dash HVAC controls, not sure if you can also change which vents it comes out of. I know it doesn't do the rear vents.

One disappointing T6.1 missed opportunity for me is the potential for them to have put an electric aircon compressor in the vehicle, as then it would have been able to run on hook-up too. Oh well... I am sure the full electric / hybrid versions in the future will be able to do that.

A software update finally solved my issue. I could get heat immediately on level 9 or 10 but no other levels, no matter the temperature. Heat continuously wouldn’t work at all and would trip the aux heater out then wouldn’t work on heat immediately again until you’d took the van for a drive. Finally got the dealer to do a software update and now it works pretty much as you guys described. Thank you all for helping me get to the bottom of this. With 2 small kids it’s essential it’s working coming into autumn winter

A software update finally solved my issue. I could get heat immediately on level 9 or 10 but no other levels, no matter the temperature. Heat continuously wouldn’t work at all and would trip the aux heater out then wouldn’t work on heat immediately again until you’d took the van for a drive. Finally got the dealer to do a software update and now it works pretty much as you guys described. Thank you all for helping me get to the bottom of this. With 2 small kids it’s essential it’s working coming into autumn winter
Fantastic. Glad you are back working

Back