Help on which trickle charger

A

Arron b

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I’m after help an reviews on which Solar trickle charger people are using. as I’m looking to purchase for my van.
I don’t use day to day sometimes fortnightly due to work commitments (work away a don’t like the thought of leaving ehu plugged in) I’d like somthing to keep the battery good and to not come to use it an it be flat. I’ve searched likes of eBay but way to many an don’t want to be getting one that won’t last

I have a C-Tek charger, but I don't use it on the California.
It has a perfectly working onboard charger, that is capable of charging my 3 batteries.
At first, it charges above 14V, and when the leisure batteries are full, it drops down to 13,4V approximately. Then it just keeps the batteries topped up. Even my starter battery gets charged up to 13,6V with the onboard charger, without having to do anything for it.
IMG_20200324_111745.jpg
There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't use the onboard charger, as it's made to do it's job.
When you use an external charger, you would have to choose between charging the leisure batteries, or the starter battery.

And a month without charging isn't that bad for your batteries too.
Maybe someone who does use an external charger can be of more use to you?

I have solar panels fitted on my van expertly fitted by Roger the go to solar panel and all things solar man.
But when i cover my van i have it plugged in to ehu which i control with a tapo plug. You can turn on and of at your leisure from anywhere in the world. Having it plugged into EHU you can have all 3 batteries charged at the same time.

I have a C-Tek charger, but I don't use it on the California.
It has a perfectly working onboard charger, that is capable of charging my 3 batteries.
At first, it charges above 14V, and when the leisure batteries are full, it drops down to 13,4V approximately. Then it just keeps the batteries topped up. Even my starter battery gets charged up to 13,6V with the onboard charger, without having to do anything for it.
View attachment 129934
There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't use the onboard charger, as it's made to do it's job.
When you use an external charger, you would have to choose between charging the leisure batteries, or the starter battery.

And a month without charging isn't that bad for your batteries too.
Maybe someone who does use an external charger can be of more use to you?
Thanks for your reply I’m still very new to the California an still got a lot of learning to do with the van.

I have solar panels fitted on my van expertly fitted by Roger the go to solar panel and all things solar man.
But when i cover my van i have it plugged in to ehu which i control with a tapo plug. You can turn on and of at your leisure from anywhere in the world. Having it plugged into EHU you can have all 3 batteries charged at the same time.
What is an How does tapo plug u mention work?

What is an How does tapo plug u mention work?
Tapo plug is just a plug that you can control with your mobile phone. tapo is just the brand name. Ive looked into it and it has very good safety cut off features over heat,surge etc etc can handle 1200 watts

I’m after help an reviews on which Solar trickle charger people are using. as I’m looking to purchase for my van.
I don’t use day to day sometimes fortnightly due to work commitments (work away a don’t like the thought of leaving ehu plugged in) I’d like somthing to keep the battery good and to not come to use it an it be flat. I’ve searched likes of eBay but way to many an don’t want to be getting one that won’t last
Not sure I fully understand the question but as you say, it’s all quite new at first.

For your use case you don’t need solar. The van is quite happy to sit for a few weeks without use. VW recommends in that case to plug the EHU in once a month for 24h which will keep everything healthy. If you are driving every few weeks the van will sort it out for you.

If you want to go “off grid” with confidence for more than 3 days, you can use solar to do that. Many posts here on how to do that, including some of mine.

There are lots or conversations to be had on leisure and starter batteries and the reality of solar keeping a starter battery charged, but I’d get your feet wet first before jumping into that.

Not sure I fully understand the question but as you say, it’s all quite new at first.

For your use case you don’t need solar. The van is quite happy to sit for a few weeks without use. VW recommends in that case to plug the EHU in once a month for 24h which will keep everything healthy. If you are driving every few weeks the van will sort it out for you.

If you want to go “off grid” with confidence for more than 3 days, you can use solar to do that. Many posts here on how to do that, including some of mine.

There are lots or conversations to be had on leisure and starter batteries and the reality of solar keeping a starter battery charged, but I’d get your feet wet first before jumping into that.
Dave thanks for your reply.
The thing that had me worried was that when I parked it up last time I used it the screen showed 50+hrs then yesterday after a fortnight I went to it an it said 5hrs an now I’ve come away with work an was just worried that leisure battery’s are going low an then they’ll take charge from starter battery an it will be flat. Got a lot of learning to do with the van I guess an get studying solar

The thing that had me worried was that when I parked it up last time I used it the screen showed 50+hrs then yesterday after a fortnight I went to it an it said 5hrs an now I’ve come away with work an was just worried that leisure battery’s are going low an then they’ll take charge from starter battery an it will be flat. Got a lot of learning to do with the van I guess an get studying solar
The leisure batteries are not going to use the starter battery for charging. They are separated through a split relay.
And the readings on the screen don't seem to be very acurate.
Just use the EHU from time to time when you don't use the van that much.

OP; if you have an external waterproof plug socket (or can get one) in the vicinity of the van, the easiest and cheapest solution (as said above) is simply to plug it in, assuming it's a 6.1 you've got (or are getting). The EHU is designed to charge the leisure and starter batteries, so doing so will do exactly what you need with minimal outlay.

While in theory you could get a solar trickle charger just for the starter battery, in reality if the vehicle is just standing still, the leisure battery maintenance needs won't be that far behind that of the starter battery (granted, no alarm draw on them or other "idling" electronics in quite the same way, but even so). In which case, you end up with a need to charge all three batteries again, so a single trickle charger probably isn't the solution.

The alternative, as suggested above, is go the solar route with the benefit you'll get off-grid capability at the same time (you'll have to do an awful lot of nights away to make it a financially beneficial decision so don't try and reason it on those grounds, but the flexibility is tremendous, e.g. picking any site or pitch rather than being limited to those with EHU). Roger does provide a solution which will charge both the two leisure batteries and the starter battery.

It is my understanding (others may correct me) that the VW recommendation of a day once a month EHU is for a minimal charge. Leaving EHU connected more permanently (weeks or months if the van is unused) is however no problem (or risk) whatsoever, and potentially beneficial keeping the batteries at 100% charge which they like best for longevity.

OP; if you have an external waterproof plug socket (or can get one) in the vicinity of the van, the easiest and cheapest solution (as said above) is simply to plug it in, assuming it's a 6.1 you've got (or are getting). The EHU is designed to charge the leisure and starter batteries, so doing so will do exactly what you need with minimal outlay.

While in theory you could get a solar trickle charger just for the starter battery, in reality if the vehicle is just standing still, the leisure battery maintenance needs won't be that far behind that of the starter battery (granted, no alarm draw on them or other "idling" electronics in quite the same way, but even so). In which case, you end up with a need to charge all three batteries again, so a single trickle charger probably isn't the solution.

The alternative, as suggested above, is go the solar route with the benefit you'll get off-grid capability at the same time (you'll have to do an awful lot of nights away to make it a financially beneficial decision so don't try and reason it on those grounds, but the flexibility is tremendous, e.g. picking any site or pitch rather than being limited to those with EHU). Roger does provide a solution which will charge both the two leisure batteries and the starter battery.
Fully agree with all the above. IMHO the OP is worrying needlessly and will soon learn the van is quite flexible.

I did not want to get into the details from his post as it’s likely ahead of his current learning curve given the confusion over solar, trickle charge and usage, but I would warn against relying on solar for starter upkeep. Roger warned me the same, I ignored him, changed my MPPT, he was right. The conditions needed for the MPPT to kick across to a 1A trickle charge of the starter are so narrow as to almost be useless. My use case was I was hoping the solar would outweigh the dash cam usage and keep it on 24/7. It doesn’t.

It is my understanding (others may correct me) that the VW recommendation of a day once a month EHU is for a minimal charge. Leaving EHU connected more permanently (weeks or months if the van is unused) is however no problem (or risk) whatsoever, and potentially beneficial keeping the batteries at 100% charge which they like best for longevity.
Nope, correct understanding.

IMG_B6D05554CBE9-1.jpeg

Last edited:
While the display seems to have a mind of its own, it does make sense when you understand it’s a guess based on exact immediate draw vs battery levels. I would suggest though that if it said 5 hours after being sat you have a draw on your leisures somewhere, either at that immediate time you looked at it, or while it was sat. Did you leave a light on? Was the fridge running at any point? Did you lift the roof up and down? Etc. As mentioned by another, the display is leisures only, not starter. They are not (effectively) connected in any way except when charging. Mine can sit for weeks with no effect, but the 150W solar panel on top seems to just keep things topped up.

Yes I’ve an outside plug round rear of house but as I work away I’m not keen on the idea of leaving it as if anything happened whilst away. (Possible postman trip hazard an claiming or some cheeky person with a Tesla plugging in)
See a lot of people mention roger what is his user name on here

Fully agree with all the above. IMHO the OP is worrying needlessly and will soon learn the van is quite flexible.

I did not want to get into the details from his post as it’s likely ahead of his current learning curve given the confusion over solar, trickle charge and usage, but I would warn against relying on solar for starter upkeep. Roger warned me the same, I ignored him, changed my MPPT, he was right. The conditions needed for the MPPT to kick across to a 1A trickle charge of the starter are so narrow as to almost be useless. My use case was I was hoping the solar would outweigh the dash cam usage and keep it on 24/7. It doesn’t.
Your Correct in saying way ahead of me but I’m learning bit by bit
Your all very helpfull on this forum

While the display seems to have a mind of its own, it does make sense when you understand it’s a guess based on exact immediate draw vs battery levels. I would suggest though that if it said 5 hours after being sat you have a draw on your leisures somewhere, either at that immediate time you looked at it, or while it was sat. Did you leave a light on? Was the fridge running at any point? Did you lift the roof up and down? Etc. As mentioned by another, the display is leisures only, not starter. They are not (effectively) connected in any way except when charging. Mine can sit for weeks with no effect, but the 150W solar panel on top seems to just keep things topped up.
The van is new I’ve not even had the fridge working yet I’ve had the night heater working and been going through all the modes on display but when I parked it up the display showed all blue bars on battery an like I said above yesterday it showed 5hrs but still all blue bars showing on display and only thing I see on is the little red flashing light on door when it’s locked. When I get home I’m gunna stick on the ehu for the 24hrs an see again

Yes I’ve an outside plug round rear of house but as I work away I’m not keen on the idea of leaving it as if anything happened whilst away. (Possible postman trip hazard an claiming or some cheeky person with a Tesla plugging in)
See a lot of people mention roger what is his user name on here
https://www.solarcampersolutions.com/ and @Roger Donoghue but as we have said, work out if you just need to charge or not on your drive vs fit a solar panel.

The van is new I’ve not even had the fridge working yet I’ve had the night heater working and been going through all the modes on display but when I parked it up the display showed all blue bars on battery an like I said above yesterday it showed 5hrs but still all blue bars showing on display and only thing I see on is the little red flashing light on door when it’s locked. When I get home I’m gunna stick on the ehu for the 24hrs an see again
If all the blue bars are illuminated AND it's showing only 5 hours that basically means you have a massive draw on the full leisures and it's estimating you only have 5 hours remaining. I've never seen that, even with the heater on full blast and the fridge on. A photo would be useful so we can see what the blue bars are, what the hours are and what amps are being drawn. It could just be you are reading the display wrong. Just to also double check you have nothing plugged into your seat mounted inverter plug, as that would effect it - say a low watt air fryer :D

Would a solar panel connected only to the leisure batteries also trickle charge the starter battery or is there some special magic when connected to EHU that allows the starter battery to get its trickle?

Would a solar panel connected only to the leisure batteries also trickle charge the starter battery or is there some special magic when connected to EHU that allows the starter battery to get its trickle?
For the base question - no. There is no direct connection between the two batteries. If your solar MPPT is ONLY connected to your leisures then they will only charge your leisures.

When charging the batteries you bypass the vans EHU charging unit and effectively are connected directly to the battery. The MPPT is acting as your charging and control unit.

But - you can also use the same panel to charge your starter depending on your MPPT. Some do. Mine does. It's only a 1A trickle and it only kicks in when the leisures hit a very specific set of numbers. But. It does do it. You have to loop a cable to the live side of the split charge relay, which goes to the starter.

When you are charging over EHU you are using the vans control unit, which will also give a 2.5A charge to the starter battery via the same relay, which it controls the opening and closing of at the appropriate time, again, leisures get priority.

I would warn against relying on solar for starter upkeep. Roger warned me the same, I ignored him, changed my MPPT, he was right. The conditions needed for the MPPT to kick across to a 1A trickle charge of the starter are so narrow as to almost be useless. My use case was I was hoping the solar would outweigh the dash cam usage and keep it on 24/7. It doesn’t.
Dave, out of interest how many panels do you have?

Dave, out of interest how many panels do you have?
Just the one - TBH my use is VERY light. I want it to give me up to 5 days off EHU for the odd festival here and there and it sits on our drive between day trips and overnight outings so I wanted to just keep the batteries topped up without needing to plug in. For both these it works perfectly. I'd love a 300 setup, 2 x 150, but no need and cannot justify the cost.

Back