Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar..what charger?

C

CaliA

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all. I have a T6 Beach and after reading lots of recommendation on this lovely forum I am going to have a solar panel installed by Roger at camper solutions. As I am rather paranoid about my starter battery going flat when I am somewhere isolated I have decided on the Epever dual battery charger (ie charges both leisure and the starter battery). Thought if going to expense and effort of having the solar fitted why not cover all bases? Because I have a Beach Roger recommended the Victron 75/15 MPPT charger as it fits easily in the jack compartment; can use Bluetooth and most people don’t need to worry about the starter battery as they are driving enough to keep it topped up. He tells me if I want the Dual charger it will be a squeeze but he can fit the Epever in the jack compartment. Though some of the tools will likely need to come out. Plus I’ll need a separate LCD reader thing somewhat in the cabin as no Bluetooth app with this charger. It also costs more for the kit and installaction (all together about £110 more). As I have now sold my house and for a period will be relying on the van far more and may be leaving it for longer periods without capacity easily to hook it up I had decided on the dual charger for peace of mind. In Jan this year I was away for just under 3 weeks and was surprised that the van wouldn’t start on my return with nothing plugged in at all. fortunately at that time it was parked at home so could hook up EHU and there was enough trickle to top up the starter motor for it to start. But in future may not have that luxury so I decided on the dual charger for peace of mind..more worried about getting stranded somewhere inconvenient then the fridge/lights not working. Though I freely admit I am very likely to be driving it a lot so is probably a more theoretical concern….
However after speaking to a friend today I am beginning to question this-they feel no need to have a solar connection to the starter battery and indeed it is safest to not mess with that. They feel I can easily carry a battery charger for use in emergencies to use on the starter battery and keep that charged via the solar powered leisure battery or when I’m on campsites with hook up option (or indeed when I’m using airbnbs….). I’m booked in with Roger tomorrow for installation so thought I’d use today to test views from the experts on this forum. I know many of you use the Victron charger (ie leisure only). Do any of you regret not going for the dual charger originally..have you ended up tweaking it to have a charge going to the starter battery? Does anyone have the Epever charger and if so how is it working..no problems caused with the Starter battery? I am useless on any sort of DIY so if it is worth having the trickle maintenance charge to the starter battery then I’d like to get it done now (am happy to pay the extra) when Roger is doing the installation so I know it will be done properly….
Apologies for such a long waffly message from an indecisive poster! I’d really appreciate any and all views/thoughts. Many thanks all!

The main question is whether you really need to trickle charge the starter motor, is the van going to stand so long that starting might be an issue?

I have no idea on the Epever unit but the Victron 75/15 easily fits in the car storage compartment without any problems. I have one fixed to the van with industrial strength velcro, it doesn't move.

Charging the starter battery potentially overly complicates matter, I would stick to just the leisure battery if I were you.

We have a Roger kit with the Victron and the unit is a great compact size and has been excellent for my leisures. We just did 4 nights at Wilderness and left with full leisure batteries after using Fridge, lights, charging phones and heater. Zero issues.

But.

We have had issues when sat for a length of time with the main starter. In their wisdom VW have made it impossible to switch off the lights and every time you turn the key or open the drivers door all sorts of things switch on and stay on for some time. We also have a Dashcam that is preset to switch off at 13V but obviusly uses some of the energy to get down there. Even at the festival we needed to switch on to activate our wifi, which made the lights go on, etc etc and at one point the Starter battery was down to 12.3 (we have a small 12V check unit from Amazon that pops into the lighter socket). I was also daft enough to knock the lights when turning the seat so went away with the lights on one afternoon. Being in Camping mode made no diff. When starting yesterday it was fingers crossed time. Took a few turns but was fine.

So.

If you are to be sat and will NEVER use anything or put the key in the ignition, the Victron will be more than fine.

If not, or prefer to play it safe, get the Epever. I have just bought one and a cable to connect to the battery from Ebay for under 90 quid and will replace the Victron over the weekend and get a trickle charge over to the starter. We have the Ocean though so goes in the cupboard fine (but takes a little more space). I did not get the seperate lcd as don't think it's needed and will be able to see the unit LCD and you can see clearly when it is putting amps into the van on the main console.

Last edited:
Many thanks to both of you for your replies. they demonstrate my split views on this perfectly! Think I’ll stick with my initial decision and go with the Epever. Probably being over cautious but at the moment I’m not really sure how I’ll be using the van over the next year or so and I prefer the addded peace of mind re. starter batttery.

A bit of a work around to get charge into a starter battery is to plug a C Tek charger into the inverter, ( leisure battery ) and use a 12 v lead / plug into the ash tray socket ( starter battery) to put enough charge in to get it going.
I know this is a very inefficient way of running a C Tek but it works
I have one panel from Roger and the Victron . 75/15 .
Haven’t used EHU for ages.
Just my pennies worth.

Could you not go for the suggested install and then supplement with a booster pack?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...ters/noco-gb40-1000a-jump-starter-721898.html

You can charge it up off USB (using leisure batteries) also has the side benefit of being able to assist others when their starters go flat.
Thanks temporarysecretary- this Is the option I’m weighing up..certainly seems easier and as you say means I have the booster pack for others as needed. I’m not normally this indecisive!

Thanks temporarysecretary- this Is the option I’m weighing up..certainly seems easier and as you say means I have the booster pack for others as needed. I’m not normally this indecisive!
I've had a noco for a few years and it's been used a decent number of times over that time. Never on the Cali but often on vans that have sat for months at a time and always works well.

I've found the charge doesn't sit unused as long as they claim and needs topping up a little bit but being proactive and plugging it in before I'm likely to need it has meant I have never been stuck since. It has mostly been used for helping others.

I've had a noco for a few years and it's been used a decent number of times over that time. Never on the Cali but often on vans that have sat for months at a time and always works well.

I've found the charge doesn't sit unused as long as they claim and needs topping up a little bit but being proactive and plugging it in before I'm likely to need it has meant I have never been stuck since. It has mostly been used for helping others.
Many thanks- I’ve never used one of these boosters so good to have a recommendation for one from someone who has used it on vans. Combining this with solar for leisure certainly looking like a good (and easier) option.

Is the NOCO a LiFePo4 battery?

Back