Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from south Wales

I

interbear68VW

Vehicle
N/A
Hi all. Joined the forum as I’m considering the new California based on the VW Multivan with the plug in hybrid engine, being introduced in 2024. We currently have a 2022 T6.1 campervan conversion via Autohaus Factory. Love it, but think that a plug in hybrid may be a better option for us than a diesel. Hence the interest in seeing discussions here on that topic. Cheers.

Hi and welcome. You're right, there's lots of interest and speculation on this topic. We should have a better idea next Friday when the Düsseldorf Caravan Salon opens.

Hi and welcome. You're right, there's lots of interest and speculation on this topic. We should have a better idea next Friday when the Düsseldorf Caravan Salon opens.

Yes indeed, I saw the teaser info from VW on it which suggested they were going to reveal all at the event next week. Genuinely interested in it. We use our campervan as the 2nd family vehicle (the other is a small EV) which means lots of smaller journeys. I know that newer diesels are much improved now (current van is a T6.1 150bhp DSG Highline) but still have a slight concern that this could result in DPF issues further down the line. We do plenty of longer drives to help with this but it would be good to never worry about it, so a PHEV California with 20-30 miles of electric range would be ideal for those shorter journeys.

Unless they tweak the suspension to increase payload (which should be possible) the hybrid will have a payload of only about 530 kg not including bench/bed, pop-up and kitchen/cupboard unit.
The petrol variant with about 740 kg payload looks more likely; assuming you can fit in the camper bits for 240 kg you would end up with an Ocean comparable 500 kg payload.