Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi there…..

P

PJA

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, thank you for admitting me to the group. I’m a 63 year old camper-van virgin. I’ve looked at conversions some better than others and a few where nice conversion kits had been fitted to old vans, which seems a bit odd. I’ve decided I’d rather search for a factory kitted out California or similar, with a budget of £40k max. I’m wondering if this is the best time to buy or bide my time until prices drop over the winter/post pandemic panic. Thank you Paul

Welcome Paul :thumb

I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.

My personal approach is to buy now, even if the market does change, there will be a limit to that price movement.

Say 40k now is 38k in December, but then it could also be VW announce it's a 12 month build time for new vehicles and the 38k changes to 42k regardless of the season

Post-pandemic could mean supply chain issues are resolved, vehicles start coming through earlier (prices go down), but then people go back to their previous pre-covid set-up, realise camping is not for them, market ends up with higher supply than demand (prices go down).

Do we have any economists here?

Reactions: PJA
Welcome Paul :thumb

I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.

My personal approach is to buy now, even if the market does change, there will be a limit to that price movement.

Say 40k now is 38k in December, but then it could also be VW announce it's a 12 month build time for new vehicles and the 38k changes to 42k regardless of the season

Post-pandemic could mean supply chain issues are resolved, vehicles start coming through earlier (prices go down), but then people go back to their previous pre-covid set-up, realise camping is not for them, market ends up with higher supply than demand (prices go down).

Do we have any economists here?
We decided life is too short to worry about price rises or price drops.

We knew we wanted one so why try and time the market.

If the price goes down you only really “lose” when you sell. We plan to retain for many years so this is not a concern to us.

I get not everyone thinks like this. We have a five year old and we will only be able to have these family holidays for such a short period of time we just went for it and placed our order!

We decided life is too short to worry about price rises or price drops.

We knew we wanted one so why try and time the market.

If the price goes down you only really “lose” when you sell. We plan to retain for many years so this is not a concern to us.

I get not everyone thinks like this. We have a five year old and we will only be able to have these family holidays for such a short period of time we just went for it and placed our order!
Totally agree on this, if possible buy now and start enjoying, who knows what's round the corner

Currently there is a 'mad' rush into Campervans with vans being converted on a Professional and DIY basis on anything from relatively old to brand new. Safe to assume conversions will have a wide range of quality standards.

With a VW California you know what you get and can judge on the physical condition of both the van and the camper section.

Now is not a Buyers time.
Knock on production delays due to Coronavirus look like taking over a year to sort out which will hold (California) prices up into 2022

You indicate that you are in no rush to buy which would mean that you can look for one of the few genuine quality used Cali's that come up for sale, either due to upgrading or selling due to health/age related issues.

Basically you need to consider 2 factors
1- Base van spec as in engine, gearbox, power, aircon, etc. (California's are highly spec'd as standard)
2- camping section, bed comfort and adaptability for load carrying, kitchen facilities, gas, water storage and drainage.

To give you an insight into the price hike I paid 46k for my 2016 ocean 3 years ago. I've seen for sale recently 2 2016 oceans going at £59995 and £61000 . An equivalent 19 plate would now set me back about £70000. Do your research, be prepared to travel and keep looking. One will come up soon for you. Good luck

Welcome here
Go for it! I guess you already read it: Californias are always worth their money and always "expensiv".
I paid for a 9 year old SE around CHF 39k/€36k with 94k on the clock and you still can find some with the same age for the same price.
It all depends on what you're willing to spend beside the money as [mention]flying banana [/mention]said
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

35d9f9182b1355b8aaf1096f69a24b58.jpg

Last edited:
To give you an insight into the price hike I paid 46k for my 2016 ocean 3 years ago. I've seen for sale recently 2 2016 oceans going at £59995 and £61000 . An equivalent 19 plate would now set me back about £70000. Do your research, be prepared to travel and keep looking. One will come up soon for you. Good luck

Thank you. Covid and implications re supply chains etc has clearly driven prices.
I’m exploring/researching this van at the moment.

Thank you. Covid and implications re supply chains etc has clearly driven prices.
I’m exploring/researching this van at the moment.
Interesting, have you decided on a more of a daily driver (the Beach) or a more of a weekend / fully fitted kitchen (the Ocean)?

I'd personally prefer the newer black automatic gearbox model posted earlier, but that's mainly because I prefer a more flexible vehicle (it's our only vehicle)

Interesting, have you decided on a more of a daily driver (the Beach) or a more of a weekend / fully fitted kitchen (the Ocean)?

I'd personally prefer the newer black automatic gearbox model posted earlier, but that's mainly because I prefer a more flexible vehicle (it's our only vehicle)
I prefer the ocean. My plan is to travel, few weeks at a time around the UK, just me and the dog. So onboard kitchen etc appeals.

I prefer the ocean. My plan is to travel, few weeks at a time around the UK, just me and the dog. So onboard kitchen etc appeals.
Cool, that's most of your battle done, any other key requirements? Manual Vs automatic gearbox? That red one ticks most boxes, are there any it doesn't tick?

Cool, that's most of your battle done, any other key requirements? Manual Vs automatic gearbox? That red one ticks most boxes, are there any it doesn't tick?

I’m happy with manual or automatic, no real preference. Had a good chat with the red vans owner and need to clarify its service history again for my own mind. And I thought he said he personally changed the cam belt and water pump at 20k and 24k miles, that’ll be based on time and obviously not mileage. This sounds daft but it’s only the second van I’ve inquired about.

I’m happy with manual or automatic, no real preference. Had a good chat with the red vans owner and need to clarify its service history again for my own mind. And I thought he said he personally changed the cam belt and water pump at 20k and 24k miles, that’ll be based on time and obviously not mileage. This sounds daft but it’s only the second van I’ve inquired about.
Not daft at all, go at your own pace