Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Ocean seeker

D

Domg

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,
I’m looking for a first Cali, EU6 and ideally an Ocean, but on low 40s budget it’s a stretch...
I’ve seen a private advert for a 2016 T32 Sportline professionally converted to what looks like Ocean spec that’s just in budget at 42k. Its in Northern Ireland - a long way from home in Guildford. Are there any pitfalls to a conversion like this I should be aware of before committing to view?
Domg

FORGOT TO SAY :welcome I would look for reviews of the firm that converted the camper you are looking at. What is their support outside NI. At the end of the day if you set your mind on an Ocean would you be happy with a conversion. Check is it a EU6?

Hi all,
I’m looking for a first Cali, EU6 and ideally an Ocean, but on low 40s budget it’s a stretch...
I’ve seen a private advert for a 2016 T32 Sportline professionally converted to what looks like Ocean spec that’s just in budget at 42k. Its in Northern Ireland - a long way from home in Guildford. Are there any pitfalls to a conversion like this I should be aware of before committing to view?
Domg
It might be a T6, but some early T6 commercials were Euro5 not Euro6 as All the T6 Californias are. So just be aware.

A T6 Ocean will pop along in your price bracket, why rush in. You'll be better off in the long run. :thumb

Try looking at reimo,
there’s a place down south called concept Multicar .
They have a vans for sale section.
Reimo by the way are top notch .
Before the vw version of a California came along it was reimo and Westfalias ruling the later vw campervan scene .
keep checking autotrader and the for sale section on this forum something will come up....if not try bartering on one that’s been up for sale for a while.. it’s worth the try..

There's one around that price on the forum adverts.

I know these are not low 40s but if you could stretch and they come down a bit there’s definitely a bargain on one of them 2 hope I don’t get in trouble for posting these in this thread :(

0C3D9594-E186-4597-88EF-5EE98F66789F.png

D7D407B5-C94D-40E3-87A2-21EE1DAE80D8.png

If you pay 'almost Cali' money for something that is almost a Cali, you will lose a fortune when it comes to resale. Go for the real thing, even if you have to have a late T5 or wait a while.

2014 California T5 SE for sale listed on here

2014 California T5 SE for sale listed on here

I would take that T5 for low thirties over a convo T6 for low forties, any day of the week, all other things being equal. There are some very good conversions out there but for me a California is just a more 'sorted' proposition than any conversion I've seen so far.

The T5 doesn't have such sharp styling as the T6, and won't have a Euro 6 engine (so no Adblue to faff with - hooray! - although you might be a bit more limited in city centre driving in coming years, if that's a factor for you).

But the T5 and T6 interiors are very similar - almost identical apart from the dashboard - and camping practicality and fun are the same.

(Full disclosure: I have a T5, wouldn't be thinking of upgrading to a T6 as the undoubted cred value of having a newer van doesn't bother me, and I don't need to drive it into cities, but everyone's different).

EDIT: just re-read your OP, looks like you deffo want Euro 6 in which case you'll be ruling out T5s, but for any other 'seekers' reading this I hope my perspective is still useful.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice - and all ‘perspectives’ are valid!
It seems the considered wisdom is stick to a factory Cali. Given my location just outside London ULEZ I’m going to try and stick with EU6 van, but glad to see there are some options close to my budget. Just waiting for some funds to clear before serious looking in a week or so.

Oops... I blew my budget and bought a 2016 Cali Ocean 4motion DSG 204 from Campersales in Burgess Hill - to be collected on Saturday. So am now no longer an Ocean seeker but an Ocean keeper :)
Great! They'll no doubt be ups and downs, but you definitely made the better decision. It's nice when advice is sought and particularly the replies are heeded!