Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High top vs Pop Top?

loaferm8

loaferm8

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi ya all

I am interested in a conversion van from a reputable Scottish firm.
Its a 2021 conversion from a T30 110bhp , one owner , 11000 miles

1. What are the advantages / disadvantages in practice of a fixed top anyone got one / had one ?
2. The motor is manual 110 bhp is it going to be underpowered ?
3. Is 51k it a sensible figure ? An alternative might be a VW coast are they to be found used at around this price point?

I like the somewhat unusual van sleeping config in two singles as there's just two of us (sometimes one!) and the high top permanence would be convenient.

I have previously owned a 2017 4 motion DSG 204, but sadly i had to sell it two years back to raise money for a new barge fitout due to cost over runs etc!

I'm just trying to get back in the game with a very strict 50k budget.

I can cope with fewer frills but worry this might be a frill too few...engine spec and thinking about extra ferry costs due to height / parking height barriers/ ice cream van aesthetics etc!

A Coast would be very appealing but seem very scarce and probly my budget not enough ?!!! ... Need ULEZ compliant vehicle .

Any observations anyone? Link is below Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/v...021-jerba-taransay-hightop-vw-t6-1-campervan/

As with all choices about campers, it'll depend very much on what you want to use the van for. If you plan to use it a lot for everyday tasks, a high-top is quite likely to be a pain. Until you drive a van regularly you probably haven't noticed how many places have 2.1m height restrictions.

On the other hand if it's mainly for camping trips, that's less of an issue although even then a growing number of beach carparks have barriers these days.

A pop-top Cali is only just over 2m high so will get under most things, but check carefully the exact height on the conversion you're looking at.

Jerba have a really good reputation and always enjoy looking at their vans at the NEC shows.
As stated above ease of general use would be my biggest concern. Camping wise it’s a nice van - my only misgivings about these type of vans is storage - where do you put bedding, bbq, chairs and table, etc. And that is where the Cali wins as it has a ‘boot’ behind rear seat. Everything a compromise I suppose, but the van looks nice.

After a 4-motion you may struggle with a 110.
I do like the idea of a high top, but for £50k I would make an offer on this one (Club Joker):

After a 4-motion you may struggle with a 110.
I do like the idea of a high top, but for £50k I would make an offer on this one (Club Joker):

Campersales are usually pretty firm on pricing. Especially as a new one will set you back £103k (2wd), or £108k (4wd)

Campersales are usually pretty firm on pricing. Especially as a new one will set you back £103k (2wd), or £108k (4wd)
It’s been advertised for quite a few months so maybe it’s correct price would be £50k :)

Brittany Ferries shouldn't cost any more as it would be in the same height group/cost as a California.
They put Cali in 5mtrs long and 2.6mtrs high group.
Can't say for others.

110PS engines are commonly remapped to 150PS but can depend on manual gearbox spec.
Air Con and cruise may or may not be fitted, all depends on original van spec.

I've had a Club Joker for a few months now after having Cali Oceans for previous 6 years. I am loving the bed in the high top with no flapping all night in high winds (the canvas that is, not me) and better sound and thermal insulation. No problems getting anywhere we want but we live in Cornwall and I don't recall seeing a multistorey car park since we moved here. Only one beach car park that I wanted to use had a height barrier but the alternative car park didn't. I would worry about the 110bhp engine struggling to overtake slow lorries on the North Devon Link Road or at Bristol Gordano on the M5 with the extra wind resistance. If you like the Joker mentioned above then remember it's on the Lwb T32 so 5.3 metres which may make a difference on ferries but with extra payload at 3.2 tonnes. There's no doubt that the Cali is a better daily driver but the high top makes a better camper IMO as long as you don't have to get under height barriers where you live or work and you go camping regularly enough to appreciate the roof bed and extra space in the living area.

I agree, they wouldn't even bid on my Cali as a part ex when I called them. However the tide is really turning in this market, that particular Joker has been sitting unsold since early Dec and has been discounted once from £60k to £55k. I agree with Kayleigh, if you want that vehicle I'd call them up and offer £50k if they decline make it clear that the offer can sit on the table until you find something else. I've done this many times and it's amazing how quickly you get a call back from the dealer ;)

Jerba pop tops do look very good, but I must admit I like the ease of an electric roof.
Have you looked at Knights Custom Conversions? If I had the money that's where I would be going to have a perusal.

Something to think about with Hi Tops is servicing. Some aftermarket garages might struggle to get that on a ramp due to the height. Really like the Joker, spotted a black one in Portpatrick a couple of years ago, it looked superb.

Many thanks for all the above contributions! Good advice and much to ponder ....

Using my Cali all year round for work and play, a high top is appealing from a practical, standing, noise and insulation perspective. I rarely use the pop roof in winter as it’s hard to dry some weeks. I feel the Jerba vans are good and when compared for quality with a California or joker which are well fitted automotive standard plastic interior or Jerba which is wood finish is good but not the same bespoke quality. I do like the 2m flexibility also as others have pointed out, depends on the use.

The Joker .
The high top combined with the LWB make quite a difference to the overall feel compared to a pop top. Storage hasn’t been an issue 2 picnic chairs + table stowed in the back, plus hook up levelling ramps etc. Safari Chef under the rear bench, all bedding stowed above cab on slide away bed. Loads of cupboard/drawer space and if required there’s always room to put bags In the shower/loo area.
Obvious downside if you use it as a daily drive is the height but if not you adapt!
It’s horse for courses!

Many thanks for all the above contributions! Good advice and much to ponder ....
Spooky just had the same sort of decision/budget!
Choice between t6.1 beach/coast (2nd hand), 2nd hand joker or crafter self build.
Ended up stumbling across a great spec t6.1 LWB 4motion/diff hightop (new), and now going to build my own van. Sort of cross between a joker/cali/nugget/jerba

Choice between t6.1 beach/coast (2nd hand), 2nd hand joker or crafter self build.
Ended up stumbling across a great spec t6.1 LWB 4motion/diff hightop (new), and now going to build my own van. Sort of cross between a joker/cali/nugget/jerba
The VW Hightop? I like that, much more attractive and purposeful looking :cool:

Good luck with your conversion and I would be interested to see how you get on. Because, if you can have all the best bits of the examples you mention, then you will have a fantastic campervan.

If you can integrate the best parts of all those vans this time next year you'll be millionaire :D

Good luck with your conversion and I would be interested to see how you get on. Because, if you can have all the best bits of the examples you mention, then you will have a fantastic campervan.
It will be the best parts that meet my needs (not everyone’s).
Storage boot to fit mountain bike/work tools, shower with a pull out loo (composting) comes out from rear garage, roof bed, L shaped bench seat with storage(don’t need belted seats in the back). L shaped kitchen like nugget and a pull out/down double roof bed like joker.
Have mocked it up inside with bits of house furniture/camping table/mtb. Roof bed height is only issue so far. As vw factory hightop isn’t as high as a joker.

Hi ya all

I am interested in a conversion van from a reputable Scottish firm.
Its a 2021 conversion from a T30 110bhp , one owner , 11000 miles

1. What are the advantages / disadvantages in practice of a fixed top anyone got one / had one ?
2. The motor is manual 110 bhp is it going to be underpowered ?
3. Is 51k it a sensible figure ? An alternative might be a VW coast are they to be found used at around this price point?

I like the somewhat unusual van sleeping config in two singles as there's just two of us (sometimes one!) and the high top permanence would be convenient.

I have previously owned a 2017 4 motion DSG 204, but sadly i had to sell it two years back to raise money for a new barge fitout due to cost over runs etc!

I'm just trying to get back in the game with a very strict 50k budget.

I can cope with fewer frills but worry this might be a frill too few...engine spec and thinking about extra ferry costs due to height / parking height barriers/ ice cream van aesthetics etc!

A Coast would be very appealing but seem very scarce and probly my budget not enough ?!!! ... Need ULEZ compliant vehicle .

Any observations anyone? Link is below Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/v...021-jerba-taransay-hightop-vw-t6-1-campervan/
110 HP is a little light, people like the 150, we have the 190, I think 110 would be a struggle.

To my eyes 51K is over priced for a 3 - 4 yr old conversion, especially when DtD have some great prices at the moment for new ones with immediate delivery.

We have recently swapped from a T5.1 SE with the 180 BHP DSG engine to a T6 with 105-ish BHP engine and a hi-top. It's a LeisureDrive conversion, with a very similar layout to the one you're considering. I absolutely love it. I was worried the engine would be under-powered, but it goes everywhere in third gear and gets us 50 mpg on a decent run whereas the Cali would be 40 mpg (and I drive conservatively). I did have concerns that the hi-top would seriously adversely affect fuel economy. The salesman said it didn't, but he would wouldn't he, but in fairness his comments seem to have been borne out.

The difference in the roof is night-and-day. It is so much more convenient having the space to stand all the time. Our T5.1 had mesh windows with canvas zip-covers, so you always had to choose between daylight and a gale blowing through - now it's always light and always out of the wind. And in a gale I can park facing any direction. :thumb I am also much more chilled-out about the fixed roof (waxed it and..... well, that's the end of the maintenance!) whereas the novelty of the SE roof wore off fairly quickly and I spent most of our ownership concerned that it would just spontaneously develop an expensive hydraulic / electrical fault. (It didn't, but was instead broken by VW when they fixed the roof corrosion, so the net effect on my stress levels was the same). There's also the convenience of being able to store things in the roof space. I also like having a rooflight to vent hot air effectively too. Ours is 2.5m high, has been into various garages for service, new tyres, etc. and the height hasn't been a problem. We turned away from one car park which had a height barrier, but that's been the only minor inconvenience.

P.S. The built-in toilet is also a game-changer, and I say that as a someone not yet old enough to be complaining about their waterworks all the time, a la my parents! :D

Thanks so much for this excellent poszt from the horses mouth so to speak , super encouraging !

I bought a T6 Cali about 2 years ago as I don't have time to arrange a conversion of a factory fitted high top LWB T6, but that's what I've always wanted to do. However, the faff of packing and unpacking beds everynight with 2 young kids means we haven't used it as much as we would have liked for camping overnight.

I find it odd you don't see many of high tops with a roof bed. I reckon you could put 2 permanent kids beds / sleeping dens up there which would be so much easier than dealing with the pop top going up and down (no moving bedding around every night and morning either). Also it seems storms are on the increase, and we mainly want to go to the coast. I did not enjoy having to put the roof down at 3am one stormy night in the middle of the summer holidays.

We simply can't do trips without the roofbox for extra kid's stuff storage. So we currently have the worst of both worlds - can't get into height restricted places and have to deal with the faff of the pop top.

Lastly, that extra 30-40cm from the LWB I reckon would mean putting a Porta Potti on the floor with the downstairs bed made up, a lot less of a squeeze compared to the Cali!