Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hill descent control

J

Jandy61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Just wondering how you would drive down a steep 25/ + hairpin snow covered hill with a dsg California, let’s agree you have winter tyres. Would you put in manual first gear and creep over the brow going as slow as possible keeping gravity/weight of van under control by holding the brakes lightly but still letting the wheels roll and not lock up, or would the hill decent control option work better in this type of situation, it’s about a £160 cost
We live in Cumbria and go over the passes weekly, but not in a 3 ton van, yet..

The first correct thing you have mentioned is winter tyres. I hope you mean 'proper' winter tyres and not All seasons.

On driving the hairpin, I would personally put it in the manual DSG mode and use the brakes with help from engine braking. though remember, the engine braking on a DSG is much less than you get with a manual. If it gets really tough, you may then want to use the HDC.

Though, if you are looking to buy the T6.1, there was a mention on some thread on here that the manual DSG mode (and the sports mode) are missing from the new DSG gearbox (I may be wrong here, do check), in which case, the HDC may be a useful option.

The first correct thing you have mentioned is winter tyres. I hope you mean 'proper' winter tyres and not All seasons.

On driving the hairpin, I would personally put it in the manual DSG mode and use the brakes with help from engine braking. though remember, the engine braking on a DSG is much less than you get with a manual. If it gets really tough, you may then want to use the HDC.

Though, if you are looking to buy the T6.1, there was a mention on some thread on here that the manual DSG mode (and the sports mode) are missing from the new DSG gearbox (I may be wrong here, do check), in which case, the HDC may be a useful option.
Yes ordering new, I read the sport mode etc had gone, I’ll check now if the manual option on dsg has gone also, if that’s the case I’ll add HDC I think

We ordered HDC because it was a relatively cheap option (just like the 80L fuel tank). It's one of those things that fall into the category "you never know". We haven't needed it on our (4MO) Cali yet but had it on our LR Freelander, where it has been useful once or twice.

Totally irrelevant: we like the HDC symbol on the dash which looks like a bathroom duck. You can't unsee that.

hdc.jpg

We ordered HDC because it was a relatively cheap option (just like the 80L fuel tank). It's one of those things that fall into the category "you never know". We haven't needed it on our (4MO) Cali yet but had it on our LR Freelander, where it has been useful once or twice.

Totally irrelevant: we like the HDC symbol on the dash which looks like a bathroom duck. You can't unsee that.

View attachment 70992
It looks like a Tank.

View attachment 70992
Like the switch button too,, probably tick the box,

My T6.1 Ocean 4motion which I took dlivery of on 4th Nov with the new DSG gearbox does not have sports mode but it still dies have the manual selection function.

My T6.1 Ocean 4motion which I took dlivery of on 4th Nov with the new DSG gearbox does not have sports mode but it still dies have the manual selection function.
Does it have a hill descent button?

Sport mode gives higher revs before gear changes so wouldn't be of any benefit in snow, more the opposite case. Manual a definite as you want nothing to change giving possible speed increase.

I haven't found a situation to use HDC as yet but as it uses the engine and brakes in a much more controlled manner than I could I'd assume that it would be the best option in snow/ice descents.

Brakes are the worst resort as you never want to lock a wheel. As you say start slow and remain slow.

Yes just checked this, thank you, so are you very happy with your van? Ordered the same today, we have a long wait ahead

I live up a very steep farm track in the Pennines, regularly gets iced up in a bad winter. Winter tyres invaluable and snow socks for really bad days.

4 motion DSG I just stay in automatic and hit hill control button. As WG says don’t touch the brake pedal under any circumstances. If you reach a less steep section just accelerate gently but leave hillcontrol on. If you take your foot off the accelerator and you give control back to HDC.

Mine has the hill decent button, but it was a £100 option

How gutted would you feel if you had a scrape after deciding to save £160 now? In all likelihood, it’s not even the price of your insurance excess.

Unless you have exceptional driving skills, the tech will do a far better job anyway and I think it’s a no-brainier. I have it, never used it, but I’m still glad it’s there.

Never ticked this box on our T5 or T6 before, although always have a diff lock. Just phoned the dealer and added it to our T6.1 order. As Moakesy indicates, probably good NBC protection.

How gutted would you feel if you had a scrape after deciding to save £160 now? In all likelihood, it’s not even the price of your insurance excess.

Unless you have exceptional driving skills, the tech will do a far better job anyway and I think it’s a no-brainier. I have it, never used it, but I’m still glad it’s there.
Yes you are right, so that was the final box tick when we paid our deposit yesterday, I removed the 235 All season tyres for the HDC, at nearly 3.5 k of options on a 4 motion, gulp! I’ll get a second set of wheels with full winter spec tyres before next winter.

Don't know about DSG but this is is us in our 4M manual with full winter spec tyres over Hardnott. Our mate in front in the Bongo, 4wd with all seasons on, (the Bongo should be better theoretically as it is mid engined so near perfect weight distribution front/back) but you can clearly see him sliding in places. The Cali never slid at all even from a stop on the hill up. Clear demo I think of the difference between all seasons and "proper" winter tyres.
Our avatar is the van outside our place in the Pyrenees where there is generally plenty of snow. Never had a problem there except getting stuck behind others without the right tyres on.

Don't know about DSG but this is is us in our 4M manual with full winter spec tyres over Hardnott. Our mate in front in the Bongo, 4wd with all seasons on, (the Bongo should be better theoretically as it is mid engined so near perfect weight distribution front/back) but you can clearly see him sliding in places. The Cali never slid at all even from a stop on the hill up. Clear demo I think of the difference between all seasons and "proper" winter tyres.
Our avatar is the van outside our place in the Pyrenees where there is generally plenty of snow. Never had a problem there except getting stuck behind others without the right tyres on.
Wow, now that is a great video
That’s the sort of road I’d be a little concerned about going down in the camper..
We live in the Lakes and are over Honister/ kirkstone/the struggle weekly, and we prefer our mini adventures in the wintertime when things are a bit quieter here, only ordered our van yesterday, just before the next price rise..

Hi Jandy61
Some sound advice in response as always.
Just to share my experience having driven on numerous occasions in the mountains in my Cali on ski trips, I have driven down many a steep passes with DSG. Regular tyres and front wheel snow chains. Van has always performed perfectly and handled safely.
All the electronic magic gadgets will ultimately assist but nothing compares to tyre to surface grip.
Good luck and happy travels.

Hi Jandy61
Some sound advice in response as always.
Just to share my experience having driven on numerous occasions in the mountains in my Cali on ski trips, I have driven down many a steep passes with DSG. Regular tyres and front wheel snow chains. Van has always performed perfectly and handled safely.
All the electronic magic gadgets will ultimately assist but nothing compares to tyre to surface grip.
Good luck and happy travels.
I was interested by the comments on not all season tyres. I was after a set of winter tyres and wheels. After seeing the small gap between full premium winter and vector gen 3 in the video on 2020 4 seasons video on tyre reviews. So I opted for them all year. Perhaps with a set of chains as back up current just snow socks.

Hi
To answer your question it helps to understand the Haldex 4x4 system.It is predominantly front wheel drive and does not drive the rears unless there is a small % of slip from the front wheels under load. .When decending a hill it is therefore in front wheel drive and does not provide any retardation with the rear wheels unless accelarating which is unlikely especially in slippery conditions. I discovered this years ago decending a steep hill in ice and snow in a VW Tiguan [same haldex system] It offered no more control than a front wheel drive in these conditions. However the Hill decent button will lock in the Haldex clutch and rear wheels up to usually 15 kph when it will default back to normal.So if you want your 4 wheel drive to work decending a snowy / muddy hill in winter up to 15 kph you will need this feature. There have been changes to this operation over the years but the priciple remains the same.Hence it is why a Hill decent button was fitted to the Tiguan escape off road model and not the regular one. Landrover freelander used a haldex with a hill decent button .All else said and done there is little point in a Haldex system without the correct tyres.Quality Winter tyres such as Nokians are massively superior to summer tyres below 7 degress C particularly stopping .Summer tyres on 4x4 vehicles tempts drivers into more trouble than they can cope with. Its funny watching the Brits in the Alps in their range rover sports on low profile summer tyres stuck at the first sign of snow.My advise Buy a front wheel drive and fit winter tyres but if you have a 4 motion respect its abilities in adverse conditions particulary down hill but dont expect any miracles without suitable tyres. If you're buying a 4-motion make sure you tick the hill decent box.

Hi
To answer your question it helps to understand the Haldex 4x4 system.It is predominantly front wheel drive and does not drive the rears unless there is a small % of slip from the front wheels under load. .When decending a hill it is therefore in front wheel drive and does not provide any retardation with the rear wheels unless accelarating which is unlikely especially in slippery conditions. I discovered this years ago decending a steep hill in ice and snow in a VW Tiguan [same haldex system] It offered no more control than a front wheel drive in these conditions. However the Hill decent button will lock in the Haldex clutch and rear wheels up to usually 15 kph when it will default back to normal.So if you want your 4 wheel drive to work decending a snowy / muddy hill in winter up to 15 kph you will need this feature. There have been changes to this operation over the years but the priciple remains the same.Hence it is why a Hill decent button was fitted to the Tiguan escape off road model and not the regular one. Landrover freelander used a haldex with a hill decent button .All else said and done there is little point in a Haldex system without the correct tyres.Quality Winter tyres such as Nokians are massively superior to summer tyres below 7 degress C particularly stopping .Summer tyres on 4x4 vehicles tempts drivers into more trouble than they can cope with. Its funny watching the Brits in the Alps in their range rover sports on low profile summer tyres stuck at the first sign of snow.My advise Buy a front wheel drive and fit winter tyres but if you have a 4 motion respect its abilities in adverse conditions particulary down hill but dont expect any miracles without suitable tyres. If you're buying a 4-motion make sure you tick the hill decent box.
Thanks for your reply, you are right in saying not all Haldex systems are the same, our Skoda scout 2015 has a button you can press and it adjusts the Haldex system to split drive between front and rear, I guess an electronic diff type system, only works up to 30 kph, it seems the 4 motion on the New California has no system, apart from the rear diff lock option.
Got me wondering.. if i press the hill decent button on the flat, would it help give more drive to the rear if I was stuck, or is it just a abs braking system

Yes I know all about tyre choices I work at the bottom of Kirkstone pass in Cumbria and quite enjoy passing the lovely stuck AWD&4x4s in my front wheel drive panel van, conti winter contact are my tyre of choice, I can make the summits as long as I keep moving, so anyone with a Volvo XC 90 on the wrong tyres please don’t block the road!