Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook-up not working, cable not the problem

ejmoore

ejmoore

2016 California Ocean 2.0 TDI
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Our electric hook-up has recently stopped working. Had difficulty making a connection a week or two ago, and the next time couldn't get it to work at all. Now at a different site, we've checked our cable, tried another (guaranteed working) cable on a definitely-working pillar, checked that the switches have not tripped - and it still doesn't work. So the problem is in the van itself. Maybe a fuse has blown? But I don't know where they are - any suggestions gratefully received as always.

Our electric hook-up has recently stopped working. Had difficulty making a connection a week or two ago, and the next time couldn't get it to work at all. Now at a different site, we've checked our cable, tried another (guaranteed working) cable on a definitely-working pillar, checked that the switches have not tripped - and it still doesn't work. So the problem is in the van itself. Maybe a fuse has blown? But I don't know where they are - any suggestions gratefully received as always.
Hi - When you say "stopped working"? What are the symptoms ?
1) Batteries not charging - But charging from alternator?
2) 3 pin socket not working
3) Both 1&2

Thanks Stu@rt - (2) is the answer:
Battery is charging from alternator (while driving)
3-pin socket is not working, and hook-up symbol is not showing on display panel

Thanks Stu@rt - (2) is the answer:
Battery is charging from alternator (while driving)
3-pin socket is not working, and hook-up symbol is not showing on display panel
And the breaker definitely not tripped? Red is on - Green is off.

@ejmoore On our 1st van we had those symptoms - it was fixed by the dealer required a new breaker switch unit.

Hi - When you say "stopped working"? What are the symptoms ?
1) Batteries not charging - But charging from alternator?
2) 3 pin socket not working
3) Both 1&2

How have you checked your cable?

If you have live positive but a broken earth then a voltmeter will work but the cable connector will not.
Don't ask me, ask @Loz :D

I had the same, no power going into the van, everything else checked out ok, breakers were fine and a friendly camping neighbour "checked out" my cable with voltmeter and pronounced it to be fine. Therefore the problem must lie with some very expensive electronic relay systems in the van :sad

An hour's drive to Loz-ville, a very kind hour of his time and, more importantly, expertise, directions to the nearby caravan accessory shop and a new cable later all was fine.

And the breaker definitely not tripped? Red is on - Green is off.
Oops! You're right - not looking carefully enough - flipped the switches, now working! Thanks very much Stu@rt, that's very helpful and quick.
It's no excuse for my stupidity but the green/red thing does seem somewhat counter-intuitive.

How have you checked your cable?

If you have live positive but a broken earth then a voltmeter will work but the cable connector will not.
Don't ask me, ask @Loz :D

I had the same, no power going into the van, everything else checked out ok, breakers were fine and a friendly camping neighbour "checked out" my cable with voltmeter and pronounced it to be fine. Therefore the problem must lie with some very expensive electronic relay systems in the van :sad

An hour's drive to Loz-ville, a very kind hour of his time and, more importantly, expertise, directions to the nearby caravan accessory shop and a new cable later all was fine.
No. luckily just simple stupidity on my part. Hook-up now working, not sure what I can do about the underlying intelligence problem...

Omg I love this forum - just arrived in France, hook up not working (husband panicking about cold beers) and a quick look just sorted it completely as it had tripped - didn’t realise about the red/green thing - thank you Cali owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk