Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hopefully joining the club...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all - very useful looking forum!

Subject to a little more cooperation (i.e. negotiation!) from a dealer up North, we should hopefully be Cali owners next week.
Got a refundable deposit on one - 180PS 4 Motion with a few goodies fitted.

We live in Cornwall (me, wife, a 1 year old and a 3 year old plus a black lab) and have just sold our LR Defender 110 and 95% there on the above van. If all goes well, I plan to fly up, check it over then drive it home.

Bit of a "detailer" so quite good at spotting flaws but anything mechanical I need to be aware of? It's a pre-reg 61 plate van with delivery miles on the clock.

I'm half nervous, half very excited!

Oh and accessories too - a few have recommended the roof cover to stay warmer/drier. Any hints on where to get one from? And finally (!!) we might need to stick the 1 year old near us (she's not the best sleeper, especially when camping!!). Any decent front cab "hammock" type options? Luckily the 3 year old sleeps like a log!

Cheers all!! :mrgreen:

Good morning and welcome along
Hopefully I can answer some of your questions
The vw engine is bulletproof so no worries there.
The vanorak is a great bit of kit it can be bought from wwwthecalifornia.com.there is a new version made
By kyham called the camper cosy it is cheaper and as far as I know untested on this site so can't comment to much.
The cab bunk is available from www.swcampers.co.uk. Not cheap. I know several people that have made their own
Using a camp bed from go outdoors cut down a very easy job I understand total cost £15. I think they cut the poles down each side and then refitted the ends I will try and find a picture for you.
I can assure you once you have collected your new van you won't be taking it back
Please enjoy your van and the club
Calikev

Which dealer? Maybe someone is local on here that could have a quick look for you and potentially save you an expensive trip (that said, it's pretty much guaranteed to be perfect....)

Cheers! Its at the Lancs van centre in Preston. Seems well regarded on here?

180PS 4 Motion.. very nice, would that have a DSG box as well? :mrgreen:

Where in Cornwall are you - we've just come back from there and going again next month.

Watched Caroline Quentin's travels around Cornwall on the TV this week -- can't wait to go back there :D

Ron said:
180PS 4 Motion.. very nice, would that have a DSG box as well? :mrgreen:

Where in Cornwall are you - we've just come back from there and going again next month.

Watched Caroline Quentin's travels around Cornwall on the TV this week -- can't wait to go back there :D

Yep - watched that too. Made me want to live in Cornwall... ;)

Where do you tend to go?

Not going for the DSG box - I'm not keen on semi autos and it ups the consumption a fair bit plus jumps up a tax band. After owning a £460 per year (to tax) Defender, I'm gunning for a slightly better fuel/emissions hit! Tried a few and never really got on with them plus the BM is a full auto so I need a manual somewhere on our drive and I still have a fully functioning left leg!

We're near Truro overlooking the River Fal - not bad TBH but the driveway (with loads of overhanging trees) means RWD or AWD is pretty much essential - MANY delivery vans get stuck on it!! :lol:

Not going to get too excited until I have the keys in my grubby mitts. Otherwise I'll curse the whole thing!

Just sent the confirmation email... Yikes!! Hope to pick it up Monday - 350 mile drive home should give me a good taste of whether its the right decision!!

Don't worry mate your love it

Time is moving very slowly..!

Dropped the Defender off today and got the money straight in the bank. They are another vehicle that depreciates very slowly thank gawd! Been a fun vehicle but had a lot of issues so looking forward to comfier, more reliable motoring! Not often that I can't wait for a Monday!!!

Where do you tend to go?

We tend to go along South coast, Fowey, St Mawes, Roseland...beautiful coastline.

Ann's Pasty Shop near Lizard -- best pasties in Cornwall :D

And it's ours! 350 mile drive home confirms that...

...it's utterly BRILLIANT!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Guy (Lancashire Van Centre) was excellent despite my unfair demands (!), the payment worked and I love it! The Kenwood multimedia thing really is very good, it pulls really well (delivery miles so I was gentle!), easy to drive, etc.

Will report in more detail tomorrow and get some pics done but VERY pleased indeed!

I was watching that one on their website too. Well played.

Back