Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping with kiddies.

Levitated

Levitated

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
My wife and I have two little ones, aged one and two and a half. Last year we camped with the two year old on hammock over front seat, myself in the pop top and wife and one year old sharing the downstairs double. This setup worked really well and we managed eight weeks on the road.

This year we'd prefer the one year old to sleep by himself, and my wife finds the pop top bed very uncomfortable. I'd also like all of us to be able to sleep with the roof down, as this would extend camping trips into the colder months.

So my ideas to date are;

1. Hammock somewhere over the downstairs bed for the one year old.
2. Custom bed over side units for the one year old.
3. Remove pop and fit high top... ugly option but would solve a few problems.
4. Forget camping in colder months and put two year old in pop top, need to find safety barrier.

I'd really welcome any ideas or suggestions. Cheers, Matt.

Do you not have a Diesel internal heater that you can use overnight?
Insulated Topper, internal or external for winter use?

Hi WelshGas, yes we have an internal heater but haven't played with it much. Could you tell me how the thermostat controls the heater, does it turn it on and off? On our last van we had a Webasto Thermo top c heater and the thermostat only controlled the fans blowing the hot air, the Webasto itself needed to be always on for night sleeping and the fans would click in and out when needed.

On my SE, the heating level, 1to 7 is selected and basically the heater switches on and off to maintain the selected temperature. Normally I have Level 1 or 2 selected when sleeping. I never hear the fan starting up or running nor the ticking of the fuel pump when running.
With some form of Topper - see Forum sponsor Comfortz, and the heater I bet your eldest would find the pop top very comfortable. Don't forget hot air rises.

The diesel eberspachers work by reducing the fuel flow to 25% when the set temperature is exceeded.

So the heater is constantly on, it just reduces the heat output.

Invest in a CO monitor.

We use a Pucer silver cover on the poptop (http://www.darenpucerscreens.co.uk/) and a Thermal silver screen on the windscreen (http://taylormade-covers.co.uk/). They reduce condensation and keep things toasty, while the pucer does not block the poptop air vent, so air can circulate. They are a bit bulky when packed away.

I fitted a Propex heater that has the option of working off the gas supply or it can also work off the electric when hooked up and the heat is regulated via a thermostat. As mentioned when the roof is up use an external thermal screen I got mine from www.rainbowuk.com it's good quality and they have a selection of colours and prints to jazz them up, not to forget investing in a CO monitor!

Keeps us all snug on chilly nights away and the Propex is silent.

Cali cozy from Comfortz works well for us. Once fitted you can leave it on. Makes massive difference to temp upstairs.
I also leave the heater on 1 when it is sub zero, and am fine,
Though I do hear the fan and tapping pump, , but I don't mind....I sleep very lightly

Back